• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby 12 Conundrum

Who do you think should be the Wallaby 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Honestly don't think Foley or Beale fit in if all players are available. I would like to see:
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridriani
14. Folau
15. Beale
with Godwin & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah. Be happy with that, however folau needs to spend this offseason developing his kicking game. Not to subdue his natural running game, more to assist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Honestly don't think Foley or Beale fit in if all players are available. I would like to see:
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridriani
14. Folau
15. Beale
with Godwin & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench.

More likely

9 Genia
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridriani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Bench, Foley & Phipps in a 5/2 split

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah. Be happy with that, however folau needs to spend this offseason developing his kicking game. Not to subdue his natural running game, more to assist

I would prefer to see the backs working harder to get back and give him options instead of him being left isolated too often (and Folau working on the speed of getting his kick away) but our off the ball work just isn't up to scratch

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I still hope against hope that Lilo will recover his form, At his best he looked like a world- beater.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I can not fathom a side AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't start. So Izzy to the back AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

Or the Honey Badger with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still on the bench. Beale out of the 23 until he proves he can tackle with the best of them (or at least as good as QC (Quade Cooper)).

Can't for the life of me understand the viewpoint of those wanting to move Izzy from 15. The answer to his poor kicking is to make sure the other backs get back quickly to support him and let him run.

T

Train Without a Station

And most importantly, who are these great kicking fullbacks we would replace him with? Maybe JOC (James O'Connor)? Likely won't play there for the Reds. Mogg? Can't tackle. Beale? Can't tackle and shit under the high ball.

Perhaps instead of discussing the poor kicking of our 15 we can just discuss their poor defense and inability to take high balls instead?

T

Train Without a Station

It comes back to the moronic Australian rugby public view, that the bloke who wasn't there to fail must be a better option than the guy that did. Even though the guy that failed had been better all Super Rugby season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And most importantly, who are these great kicking fullbacks we would replace him with? Maybe JOC (James O'Connor)? Likely won't play there for the Reds. Mogg? Can't tackle. Beale? Can't tackle and shit under the high ball.

Perhaps instead of discussing the poor kicking of our 15 we can just discuss their poor defense and inability to take high balls instead?

Yeah. Izzy's point of difference at fullback is his ability to take the high ball and then run it back putting pressure on the opposition's kicking strategy. No one else in the frame can play 15 in that manner. The whole idea I believe is that by playing him at 15 it causes the opposition to vary their game plans.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I was at both the Waratah's finals and held my breath every time the Brumbies and Crusaders put up a high ball for Beale who (I'm guessing as a tactic to encourage the opposition to do this) was often at the fullback position. But I don't remember him ever dropping one in fact he impressed me as a fullback (he was nominated for IRB player of the year in 2010) and to some extent I think we might see him there more often next year at the Waratahs at least. Any way the whole, he's terrible under the high ball thing, is a bit 2012-Lions tour reminiscent. Yes he dropped one in the Bledisloe but it's not as though Izzy never drops one.

T

Train Without a Station

He's not playing fullback taking 9/10 that come his way per game like Izzy right now.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I had the impression though not having watched on tv that Beale took the high ball more often in the Super Rugby finals and like I said I think it was on purpose because teams don't kick it to Folau and Cheika wanted the opposition to put up high balls.

T

Train Without a Station

Oh I agree I'm just saying it's an isolated case of correct execution, not a trend of improvement or competency over any significant period.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Beale can take the high ball but he can't take a contested or pressures high ball with any consistency. As I recall he tends to take it too far off his chest and corral it back in which of course is a bit more difficult. Tho folau seems quite capable.
Personally i agree with Dwyer and would like to see kurindrani at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.
I don't think we need a second playmaker and I'd like to see kurindrani bending the line from 12. I prefer a smith/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/fofana slighter and quicker outside.
That said TK looked awesome at 13 last weekend.
I also want to see jones get more game time at wallaby level.
I hope against hope that Godwin can be our 13 answer outside big TK or our 12 answer inside him.

Status
Not open for further replies.