• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
i have often wondered, when seeing those stories, whether they add a single bum on a seat or a single remote twitching to Fox.
my feeling is that only the very converted would read that material.
remember the regular criticism of the Tahs HQ for very poor material, dismissively credited to interns?

other than the handouts, there is not much, is there?
do you think Georgina's revealing stories about The Coach's thoughts create any interest in rugby?
i doubt it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It helps build interest in the upcoming game, and for many people actually lets them know a game is on.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
it probably does that.
i sometimes think that rugby's best method of attracting people is to get the committed to "tell some friends" about an upcoming game, in the hope that they will come along.
the evidence seems to be that that worked for the Tahs at the end of this year's Soup.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy how did hiding Kurtley on the wing in Auckland work?

It was shit, because his individual tackling technique was shit.

But he was actually taking the space and going low on blokes on the weekend, which shows improvement. He made 8 tackles and missed 1 according to disreputable sources (@barbarian).

We were all having these conversations about Quade two years ago when he was still trying to strip the ball instead of put a shoulder on.

Anyone can repair bad technique with enough time and coaching.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

But he was actually taking the space and going low on blokes on the weekend, which shows improvement. He made 8 tackles and missed 1 according to disreputable sources (@barbarian).

We were all having these conversations about Quade two years ago when he was still trying to strip the ball instead of put a shoulder on.

Kurtley's too talented too push, he has stuff to work on like everyone. Carter running low, To'omua's kicking, Hooper cutting his hair, Phipps passing straight, White not kicking the leather off it.. Oh and Simmions not doing something dumb..

Everyone's giving Kurtley crap, but If Tomane had his pace he would have scored in the corner.

Beale has some unteachable traits but good cones with the bad.. Like big bad Will Skelton.

EDIT: that wasn't directed at you Pfitzy.. I'm thinking I'm agreeing with you...now I'm off to be sick

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
very true in bold.
i have formed a proposition that the quality of the Wallabies' on-field performances can be reliably predicted by their chatter in the week before the game.
the more they talk in that week, the worse they play.
the less they talk in that week, the better they play.
and all shades in between.
so, best thing would be for them to STFU.

Look out for a Pfitzy F-bomb response.

T

Train Without a Station

Well when Kurtley has shown tackling ability in more recent matches than he has shown to be terrible we will let it slide. Currently the weekend is a complete anomaly.

He also offered nothing in attack mind you.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would only play Beale against sides where we have a reasonable belief we will have front foot ball in the final third of the game

So not against the ABs, Boks or England

That's an interesting proposal. It would be hard to justify taking him to the RWC then u reckon. Particularly because you could expand those three teams to Wales and South Africa at a pinch.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's an interesting proposal. It would be hard to justify taking him to the RWC then u reckon. Particularly because you could expand those three teams to Wales and South Africa at a pinch.

Mate, I don't want to have to hide anyone in defence in a test match, it just doesn't work against the adults, they get caught out and isolated too often

I have had enough issues with Cooper's defensive frailties (who has finally started to show that his backbone isn't a fused pipe and he now tries to bend his back) but using the reasonable assumption that Cooper will be the preferred 10, we just can't carry Beale as well, especially when Foley shows it can be done with much less stupid

T

Train Without a Station

The fact of the matter is that Beale in the Rugby Championship has had one good bench cameo (Boks in Perth). With his known weaknesses, he needs to offer more in attack and right now he isn't.

If he was playing like he was in Super Rugby that would be one thing, but he isn't.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well when Kurtley has shown tackling ability in more recent matches than he has shown to be terrible we will let it slide. Currently the weekend is a complete anomaly.

Yep fair enough. So based on your balance-of-payments strategy, Quade only has about 30 Tests to prove he's worthy?

He also offered nothing in attack mind you.

Difficult to attack when you don't have the ball. Beale was on for 25 minutes. During that time we had very little possession and Beale was responsible for coughing up one of those. So let's kick the rest of the team out while we're at it for not being able to control possession.

T

Train Without a Station

Yep fair enough. So based on your balance-of-payments strategy, Quade only has about 30 Tests to prove he's worthy?

Read the quote dickhead. Recent. (not acceptable mate, keep the insults out, you don't need them to make your point, FP)

In the past 2 seasons Quade's defense has been good in more games than it's been bad. That's evidenced by one of the higher tackle completion rates.

If Beale was a good defender for more Rugby Championship tests than he'd been a poor one, that would be a start. Currently it's 1/5.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Beale's an enigma, his so talented but unlike Cooper no one has let him settle in a position, is he a 15, 10 or 12. Imagine if Beale had played 10 since 2008 when link picked him.

We all know Cooper is a 10, we all seen he had some issues there, but because he doesnt need to learn a new job, his now a decent tackler.. Although his x factor needs to be shelved on defense, its too risky to go for the strip. unlike going for the flick pass.

T

Train Without a Station

Beale was moved to 15 because he stagnated at 10.

He was a little unfortunate at the Rebels that he got shifted between the two a little.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's Beale's fault for not locking down the 15 Jersey. If he had worked on his weaknesses, High ball skills & ball security he'd be the wallaby 15 and Falou would probably still be on the wing.

To an extent, players need to take some responsibility for being shifted around so much. And even if the player is not to blame, it still does not mean we should pick them. You pick the best player at the time with the least weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.