• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Definitely outside backs.

We have lost:

1. Shipperly
2. Toua
3. Placid
4. Morahan (last year)
5. Digby (last year)
6. Davies

And gained:

1. JOC (James O'Connor)
2. Hunt
3. Turner (last year)
4. Kurindrani (last year)

We are definitely a little light on there as CFS is basically the only other player not on that list.

Not sure about back row though. We have:

1. Gill
2. Robinson
3. Schatz
4. Browning
5. Quirk
6. Tui

In addition we have 3 locks who can all cover 6, with Simmons test capped there and Horwill playing Super Rugby there. That's 9 potential back rowers. Isn't Loko (incorrect spelling) from Qld Country also signed? That would make 10. I think we are probably a little too heavy there.

Losing Harris who was a 12 who plays 15 and gaining Hunt who is a 15 that can play 12 will probably balance us out a little better as we were too heavy on our 12 options (Taps, Fainga'a, Harris) that were in our best 23 last year. Kerevi has shown is a second great option at 13 with CFS and Hunt can likely cover both adequately.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
our backline i think is the most contentious issue. We have a lot of players who can cover a range of positions. Getting the balance right will be key.

From the rumblings i have heard coming from ballymore we will see a lineup like this at least once in the season:

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Kerevi
13. CFS
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Hunt

There is some definite lack of ballplayers around the midfield, however assuming JOC (James O'Connor) will play as a roaming winger and that hunt will occasionally ghost into the line, things may balance.

I don't love it, but i dont hate it

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TWAS,

we also have JJ T who I am quietly beginning to be a believer in again. I dare not mention him in the same breath as Latho, but there was a certain fullback who came to QLD from NSW who was bemoaned for his costly 'brain farts' who managed to turn around his game and stamp his claim to be, arguably, our best ever fullback.

JJT has been able to use the NRC as a way to bridge the gap between is excellent club form of a year or so ago with Super Rugby, into which he was probably unfairly thrown this year. Remembering he quite literally turned up to club training one night out of the blue and I think it was the next year he was signed by the Reds. He has a lot of maturing to do but some of the plays he's pulled off in his last couple of games have been magical. More time with the likes of Turner, QC (Quade Cooper) and Hunt will be good for him and who knows where he will end up. But I don't discount him from being a regular starter for the Reds next year.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whilst we don't have copious amounts of outside backs signed I think we have one of the best talent pools in that area out of at least the Australian conference.

JOC (James O'Connor), CFS and Turner have played for the Wallabies, Hunt has more rep caps than anyone in the team and Kuridrani and JJT are two of the form players of the NRC. I'm confident that whoever plays in those positions will do the job in 2015.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I was very critical of JJ during the season as were most posters here, He was Just Justifiably horrible. HOWEVER, I too have altered my opinion over his NRC performances. Just hope he van transfer that form to Super 15 level.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hunt has 21 rep caps, more then some but less then quade, Genia, slipper, Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor), etc

Sorry, I actually didn't mean it in a literal sense, was more inferring how much he has accomplished in SOO, Kangaroos etc

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Likely Forwards:
1. Slipper
2. Finger/Hanson
3. Fuck knows
4/5 Horwill & Simmons
6. Browning
7. Gill
8. Shatz

Robbo to cover 6/7/8 as I think Quirky is injured (sort of)

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I personally think Quade operates quite nicely with a player at 12 who can (in Dwyers words) consistently "take the inside shoulder" of the mid-field defence. Giving Kerevi plenty of time at 12 in the NRC is shrewd in my opinion because even though he's a 13 primarily, having that option increases depth at 12.

Note: that I think Taps can play that role well and Hunt will probably be very good at it as well and both bring other kicking and distribution skills to the table also. Kerevi is just a nice option

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
But yeah I forgot about Lolo. In that case we probably tight head props x 2, outside back x 1 and maybe a lock or backrower project player for the Eps

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
I was very critical of JJ during the season as were most posters here, He was Just Justifiably horrible. HOWEVER, I too have altered my opinion over his NRC performances. Just hope he van transfer that form to Super 15 level.

I have watched pretty much all I have been able to of Country in the NRC and I have yet to see JJ Tualagi make a decent tackle. A few arms swinging about trying to rip the ball out type "tackles" like QC (Quade Cooper) used to do - but this is not what you want from your fullback. He is not up to standard for the Reds.

B

Bobby Sands

Depending on who we sign to the last couple of spots, this year of recruitment could prove to be quite phenomenal in terms of reinvigorating the squad.

B

Bobby Sands

I have watched pretty much all I have been able to of Country in the NRC and I have yet to see JJ Tualagi make a decent tackle. A few arms swinging about trying to rip the ball out type "tackles" like QC (Quade Cooper) used to do - but this is not what you want from your fullback. He is not up to standard for the Reds.

The thing to remember with singing players such as JOC (James O'Connor), and Hunt is that we needed to sign players with no experience, at basement value in the hope that they would have the potential to step-up. It is the only way to balance the books, and is a high-risk strategy. However it is a strategy I believe we needed to take, and by the looks of Kurindrani, Kerevi and JJT in the NRC I am more than buoyed by their collective performances. Especially when you consider that all three are probably on a base super rugby contract.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To win that title a team needs experience. Teams have mostly established players and a couple of younger blokes on cheap contracts.

The hard thing for administrators is to balance the dollars with the experience, performance and talent. QLD has always been able to produce young guys.

Once players become top earners the fact is that some have to move away, to make some room for those coming through the system.

It would be great to have a team of champion players but the "cap" just doesn't allow for that, irrespective of how wealthy a franchise is.

My concern is the Reds could be decimated of experienced players at end of RWC season. Players like Will Genia, James Horwill, James Slipper, Robert Simmons, Liam Gill will all be looking at overseas contracts. The biggest money is available if you sign prior to the World Cup.

This is a worry for me.

T

Train Without a Station

Don't fret USARugger. Scrubber just gets a little antsy and thinks that every player wants to finish their career in Europe.

Considering Gill has another decade in him and Slipper, Genia and Simmons all have another 4 years before they would be at the age of signing their last contract I wouldn't be too concerned about losing them. When players are out of Wallaby reckoning is when we tend to lose them. Simmons and Slipper have started almost every game in Link's tenure so I wouldn't worry about them for now.

There's talk of Genia but I still reckon he's a pedantic brat so I'm kind of keen for him to fuck off and see what Frisby can do.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it won't be just a QLD thing. All teams will lose a bunch of players post RWC I reckon. And important players. The ARU just don't have the resources to keep them all in the game.

The Rebels and Force may well be good shows for season 2016 given QLD, NSW and ACT may well be decimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.