• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coal Seam Gas Mining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Instead of building the NT gas pipeline, seeing as a lot of the Sydney Basin (and therefore its coal measures) lies offshore, I wonder how feasible it would be to drill for CSG there, thus avoiding potential damage to farmland and to aquifers?
No doubt it is easier to drill for CSG onshore than offshore.

Plan to pipe Territory gas to Sydney has political backing, but will the billion-dollar pipeline eventuate?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-03/northern-territory-gas-pipeline-lng-sydney-shortage/5703406

Why export production from Sydney and then replace that with gas from the NT? Is that sensible use of energy to transport the shit around?

This sort of false economy is part of what is killing the planet. The market is a joke when corporations are so big they can create demand at will.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Instead of building the NT gas pipeline, seeing as a lot of the Sydney Basin (and therefore its coal measures) lies offshore, I wonder how feasible it would be to drill for CSG there, thus avoiding potential damage to farmland and to aquifers?
No doubt it is easier to drill for CSG onshore than offshore.

Plan to pipe Territory gas to Sydney has political backing, but will the billion-dollar pipeline eventuate?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-03/northern-territory-gas-pipeline-lng-sydney-shortage/5703406

No Boyo, remember most of the NT is arid so ground water is especially valuable and most of the NT is under Native Title or Pastoral Lease.

Personally I don't want that poisonous shit in my back yard anymore than you do. Offshore gas is booming but every scrap of that is exported to Japan. Maybe we should look at that.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think that you have misread my post. I wasn't suggesting that CSG be explored in the NT.

AFAIK there is little or no coal in the NT, therefore little or no CSG potential.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...ces-says-chief-scientist-20140930-10oblo.html

Of Interest to the thread. I wonder if the "acceptable risks" are to those unaffected or those impacted?

I object to taking the risk when the benefits of the activity will not be seen in the communities that take that risk. They will become a gas producing zone but will remain paying the premium price that the company can achieve in the non-producing areas of Asia which are not taking the risk. Considering that there is little to no employment from the activities for the the communities and the miners are almost all foreign owned what is the benefit to the NSW and Australia?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting in that it appears the technology to create CSG is same as used to create geothermal.

Status
Not open for further replies.