• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby 12 Conundrum

Who do you think should be the Wallaby 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I kind of would like to see the ARU make an exemption just for Giteau. Just so he can come here, be as average as he was before he left and shut up all those morons bleating how can we leave out our "best players" in "career best form".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Giteau would be a great utility, but he wouldn't want to be that. He would want to be the 10, or failing that the 12, and I don't know that he's good enough to go to the head of the queue for either, nor "fit in" with whoever those next to him might be.
But he would be a great filler.

T

TOCC

Australian players are held to account for their performances against the two best teams in the world, players running around in France are playing against teams who(if ranked against the IRB rankings) might be the 20th-40th best teams in the world.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Giteau would be a decent option to have available but he wouldn't be my first choice at 10 or 12. He would certainly come into consideration for a spot in the squad. He might just sneak in as a utility, just for his experience.

Though its gonna be pretty strong competition for spots in the backline next year, particularly for utility spots.

T

Train Without a Station

Giteau would be a decent option to have available but he wouldn't be my first choice at 10 or 12. He would certainly come into consideration for a spot in the squad. He might just sneak in as a utility, just for his experience.

Though its gonna be pretty strong competition for spots in the backline next year, particularly for utility spots.

I think he would be a better bench utility than Beale. Very reliable defender and versatile. But probably wouldn't be in the best 23 without injuries. Hardly worth a policy change over.

T

Train Without a Station

My point is that players like Jesse Mogg have looked the goods at Super Rugby level and failed to translate that to test level. What happens if these two did the same?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
There has been a lot of volatility in the selection of the Wallaby 12 over the past decade. A quick scan of those selected to start at 12 against the ABs since 2004 are:

To'omua
Lilo
Barnes
McCabe
Ant. Finger
Giteau
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Mortlock
Medicare Mat
Pukunui

For the same period the ABs have started

Crotty
SBW
Nonu
Mcallister
Mauger
Carter

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Damn just saw a highlights reel of that Tepai Moeroa chappy. He'd have possibly slotted nicely into 12. Him and TK- there's some line bending....split milk spilt milk spilt milk...

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
OK have got 'line-bending' on the brain atm, so decided to put together a back-line purely based on the highly-scientific criteria of weight:

9 Josh Holmes (94)
10 Debreczeni (100)
11 Tomane (102)
12 TK (102)
13 Kerevi (108)
14 Nayaravaro (127)
15 Folau (103)

OK not many play makers in there, and this is not based on anything silly like 'form' or 'combinations'....

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah Holmes is quite tall.

I just remember seeing Burgess, Stirzaker and Meehan training at the Rebels last December. Burgess looked like a number 8 compared to the both of them. That being said I'm 178cm and 92kg and I looked like a number 8 when standing talking to Meehan.

Status
Not open for further replies.