• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm sorry, but who exactly

James Grant for one: http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/2...-james-grant-nrc-good-concept-support-needed/

And there's a difference IMO, between the minimum crowd needed to be financial viable and what is a good crowd.

Don't get me wrong, financial viability is more important at this stage. And I don't think there's any reason to be too concerned with the crowds so far. It is season 1, it was rushed together and the ARU haven't spent any money marketing it. But there's no way we should be overly satisfied with regular crowds of around or under 2k.

T

TOCC

I think the disappointing crowds in Sydney are amongst other things a reflection of the lack of marketing by NSWRU/Waratah's, neither of these organisations have direct ownership in the NRC teams but they are key stakeholders in the game and thus should be doing more.

Waratahs should be using their 100'000 Facebook followers and membership base to boost the exposure of the NRC more then they currently are, the Rising and Reds have had an quite extensive presence on social media regarding the NRC with highlights and player profiles.

Likewise with the ARU, i feel the ARU's use of social media to boost the profile of the NRC has been lacklustre, some teams out there are doing great stuff in terms of player interviews and highlights, the ARU need to be promoting this as well.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon if I started a shit sandwich business in this thread I'd sell out in the first ten minutes. Some people are happy eating nothing else it would seem.

The big factor that is proving a two-edged sword in this whole business is fine weather. Sometimes, when presented with the option of the beach or the rugby on a beautiful day, the beach is going to win.

Particularly when there are family members (especially the wife) who has put up with a long winter of rugby and wants to have family time away from all that.

What sort of shit sandwiches do you have in mind?
Now if you have pepperoni base........:D

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the disappointing crowds in Sydney are amongst other things a reflection of the lack of marketing by NSWRU/Waratah's, neither of these organisations have direct ownership in the NRC teams but they are key stakeholders in the game and thus should be doing more.

Waratahs should be using their 100'000 Facebook followers and membership base to boost the exposure of the NRC more then they currently are, the Rising and Reds have had an quite extensive presence on social media regarding the NRC with highlights and player profiles.

Likewise with the ARU, i feel the ARU's use of social media to boost the profile of the NRC has been lacklustre, some teams out there are doing great stuff in terms of player interviews and highlights, the ARU need to be promoting this as well.

Unfortunately the NSWRU's lack of meaningful contribution isn't something particularly unusual or unexpected.

The SS clubs have been good, as Marlins member I get at least one email a week about the Rays and the NRC.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No complaints about the Rams' approach to Social Media and notification.

The issue is mostly around the bullshit that some idiots have spouted about it not being "Western Sydney" as well as the fact that a lot of rugby people here support other sports as well, and just finished a big season of Subbies.

FoxSports could do worse than broadcast Friday night's game - they're showing

FS1: LIVE Beijing WTA
FS2: Replay Super Rugby Final 2014
FS3: Replay European PGA

So its not like they don't have space in the schedule.

T

TOCC

looking ahead in terms of broadcasting games, i wouldn't be surprised to see the Brisbane City vs Vikings game in Rd 9 broadcast, its been played at Suncorp as the pre-match to the Bledisloe so on a few levels it makes sense.

Boost exposure of the comp by having the broadcast lead-in to the Bledisloe, also costs should be off-set somewhat by playing at a stadium already configured for broadcast.

QRU have just confirmed that the Rd 9 Bledisloe Cup curtain raiser, Brisbane City vs Canberra Vikings will be broadcast. It is yet to be seen whether a match will be broadcast on the Thursday Night as well.

T

TOCC

Just realised Reg had already posted that news In another thread, my mistake :/

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Unfortunately the NSWRU's lack of meaningful contribution isn't something particularly unusual or unexpected.

The SS clubs have been good, as Marlins member I get at least one email a week about the Rays and the NRC.

Agreed, and i sort of follow and try and find out what is happening, I think the SS clubs have been great.

I heard the emerging teams were playing through the grapevine so i new it was on - but no marketing.
I was told the emerging game started at 1.30 by the father of one of the ball boys - 1.30 was half time / - so communications not the best.
Week before emerging rays were suppose to play a barbarian side, something happened the week prior and it didn't happen.

3 home games today - cold wet night was the first, second 2 i think school holidays may have had a slight impact.
But looking at it - It is the First year, It is a new product, and it has only really been marketed to the people who follow a Shute team (if in NSW) now that it is in place next year it can be taken to the wider demographic.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agreed, and i sort of follow and try and find out what is happening, I think the SS clubs have been great.

I heard the emerging teams were playing through the grapevine so i new it was on - but no marketing.
I was told the emerging game started at 1.30 by the father of one of the ball boys - 1.30 was half time / - so communications not the best.
Week before emerging rays were suppose to play a barbarian side, something happened the week prior and it didn't happen.

3 home games today - cold wet night was the first, second 2 i think school holidays may have had a slight impact.
But looking at it - It is the First year, It is a new product, and it has only really been marketed to the people who follow a Shute team (if in NSW) now that it is in place next year it can be taken to the wider demographic.

The 2nd one was played on the same night that the Sea Eagles played a semi final at the SFS.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Yeah - it started at 12.25. I got to see some of the game which was between the Emerging teams of the Rays and the Rams.

There weren't too many players putting their hands up for the Ones but to be fair it was like a schools rep game with players thrown together and all trying a bit too hard.

As usual in such an environment the attacking was better than the defending: I think the Rams won 43-36.

T

TOCC

Im going to continue my rant on the Waratahs/Wallabies lack of social media marketing towards the NRC... Firstly, i think the NRC clubs themselves are doing a great job, but they are marketing to a small base, 2'000 to 5'000 followers on Facebook as opposed to the Waratahs(107'000) and Wallabies(405'000). As for the Wallabies, i went back as far as July and couldn't find a single post referencing the NRC, surely that can't be possible?

So i had a quick look at each of the following FB accounts, and counted the number of NRC related posts the organisations have made since Monday and the number of followers each team has:

Wallabies (405'000): 0 (couldn't find a single post since July)
Reds(136'000): 21
Waratah's (107'000): 0 (last NRC post was 25th Sep)
Brumbies(64'176): 2
Force(53'000): 4
Rebels (43'000): 1

Below are the NRC teams themselves, who are doing a great job to promote their teams but as you can see, are limited by the number of followers they have:

Rising: 3'402
Eagles: 3'371
Rams: 3'279
Spirit: 3'108
Vikings: 2'279
Rays: 1'729
Stars: 1'485

Following teams don't have official pages: City, Q Country

I understand that the NSW and Melbourne teams have separate Facebook accounts, but you have to wonder whether that was the best approach to marketing for this competition. Also, given the market resources of each of these unions, perhaps they should be creating a weekly program similar to that the QRU is creating:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p350x350/10006466_10152687236210236_3663969034925942036_n.jpg?oh=fd800c2af87777c6bccf295e17bcb5da&oe=54B4E34C&__gda__=1420902418_91c5e8595456a7e571cda81d031ba898
link: http://bit.ly/1AZeFgy

T

TOCC

Part 2:

Is there a NRC page on Facebook?
I couldn't find one, that in itself is another failure, there should be a central location for fans to reference for updates, match details, results and broadcast schedules.. Of note, the AFL and NRL Facebook pages have more followers then any of the individual clubs within their respective competitions.
AFL: 680'000
NRL: 930'000

Given the NRC has a limited marketing budget, social media is a good way to generate exposure to existing fans without breaking the bank. In my opinion the ARU/Waratahs aren't doing a very good job on this at the moment and its going to impact on the bottom line of the club and the viability of the tournament.

T

Train Without a Station

TOCC, The Rebels heavily advertised their separate Rising social media pages in the lead up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good stuff TOCC. Very Damning of the ARU.

I reckon this could be worked into a Blog post mate

Status
Not open for further replies.