• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep.
Match talk here.
Speculation, innuendo and character assassination on the other.
No, not really the last! ;)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My team:

1 James Slipper
2 James Hanson
3 Sekope Kepu
4 James Horwill
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Higginbotham
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Joe Tomane
12 Kurtley Beale
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Izzy Folau

:cool:

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My team:

1 James Slipper
2 James Hanson
3 Sekope Kepu
4 James Horwill
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Higginbotham
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Joe Tomane
12 Kurtley Beale
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Izzy Folau

:cool:

Reckon Saia will start again - I thought he went well last week, particularly at set piece.

Best KB (Kurtley Beale) will get will be bench. Rightly or wrongly Mckenzie won't "reward" the bloke for his indiscretion. Think either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne will play at 12 with the other on the wing.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Did you watch the NZ games? When Foley came on the field he immediately threatening the line, Ran Straight, and does what Beale does not and secure the ball into contact.

Foley has a good running game, especially in broken play, If you recall he did start his career at fullback and carved it up for Tahs in the position. He also does not have the weaknesses of Beale. Defence is average but its not embarrassing likes Beale's is at times.

Beale offers probably a great broken play runner, compared to a good broken play runner then Foley, but that's about it. His weakness in the contact zone, and high error rate is a massive downfall for KB (Kurtley Beale).

Thanx for that, IMHO based purely on Wobs, KB (Kurtley Beale) is the better broken play runner, puts players through holes more frequently and tends to think outside the box (often to his and the teams detriment) but this leads to more tries - and I think they share the same weaknesses obviously in defence, contact, building continuity and pressure particularly in exploiting opportunities. Perhaps Foley skillset is more crisp, especially in distribution perhaps his tendency to be creative within the structure (and why ball retention is better) could also be a positive for players around him and as opposed to Beale 'ad lib style', and his organisation of team seems to effortless but points of any kind are harder to come by. I think they're both prone to errors and play behind a inconsistent and deficient (i.e. tackling) pack. Still think KB (Kurtley Beale) has the higher ceiling for potential skills growth) in what he can bring to the Wobs. But anyways thanx for sharing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree Saia should start. He really impressed me last week. IMO he has move himself up to our 3rd choice hooker (behind Moore/TPN) with that performance.

Not sure I'd ever like to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I'd like to see our outside backs get them ball now and then. Will be very interesting to see whether Beale is in the 22.

I think its high time Lilo was given a run, be it at 12 or off the bench. I think Horne would be the safe bet.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree Saia should start. He really impressed me last week. IMO he has move himself up to our 3rd choice hooker (being Moore/TPN) with that performance.

Not sure I'd ever like to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I'd like to see our outside backs get them ball now and then. Will be very interesting to see whether Beale is in the 22.

I think its high time Lilo was given a run, be it at 12 or off the bench. I think Horne would be the safe bet.

Mate I think it would not be fair if the Argies have 23 and us, 22 - bastards

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the IRB should introduce a handicap system. 1 less bench player for OZ....no reserves for the Kiwis

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Many referees are partway on board with your suggestion @Scrubber2050. The #7 for the NZ Rugby Team is often invisible for much of the game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thanx for that, IMHO based purely on Wobs, KB (Kurtley Beale) is the better broken play runner, puts players through holes more frequently and tends to think outside the box (often to his and the teams detriment) but this leads to more tries - and I think they share the same weaknesses obviously in defence, contact, building continuity and pressure particularly in exploiting opportunities. Perhaps Foley skillset is more crisp, especially in distribution perhaps his tendency to be creative within the structure (and why ball retention is better) could also be a positive for players around him and as opposed to Beale 'ad lib style', and his organisation of team seems to effortless but points of any kind are harder to come by. I think they're both prone to errors and play behind a inconsistent and deficient (i.e. tackling) pack. Still think KB (Kurtley Beale) has the higher ceiling for potential skills growth) in what he can bring to the Wobs. But anyways thanx for sharing.

I agree with most of that, KB (Kurtley Beale) is definitely the better broken play runner, in fact on his game one the best in the world. In regards to being prone to errors, I think the difference is vast. Foley makes a couple of mistakes but KB (Kurtley Beale) makes some very poor and significant mistakes which more often then not end up very costly and vastly effecting the end result. Take last week for example. 2 turnovers and a penalty within 10 minutes. I don't recall Foley ever making significant mistakes in such a short amount of time. I disagree on the defence, I feel Foley is fairly weak in contact but also tries hard and more often then not puts his body on the line. Beale however very rarely puts his body on the line and more often then not seems scared of contact and almost tries to avoid it.

KB (Kurtley Beale) may have a higher ceiling for potential, but he has a shit load of caps already, should be regarded a senior member at both super rugby and Test level. At this age he should be hitting his peak, or close to it.I think he is the same player he was 5 years ago, probably worse. How much time are we suppose to give a player to develop? He has had long enough and has failed too many times.

Foley however continues to improve slightly every year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
KB (Kurtley Beale) has been dropped from the bench so that's probably the clearest indication that the music will be loud and unpleasant and possibly the last he hears from the ARU when he gets back to Sydney.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
10495576_10152711740665731_9144473335234835899_o.png

T

Train Without a Station

KB (Kurtley Beale) may have a higher ceiling for potential, but he has a shit load of caps already, should be regarded a senior member at both super rugby and Test level. At this age he should be hitting his peak, or close to it.

Most important thing you have said Seb.

At this stage in his career his potential needs to be forgotten. If after 7 professional seasons he hasn't consistently shown it, he never will.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a bad looking side. The bench is on the weak side but decent starting side.

Link is persisting with the extra 7 on the bench tactic...I have no doubt in my mind at this stage that he is preparing to use a 6/2 bench for certain games at the RWC, so that he can make use of Pocock.

Status
Not open for further replies.