• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
@Sideline Eye

Ok that's strange. the NZ Herald named Ioane as the captain:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11333669

Just goes to show that you never believe anything they tell you in the papers; especially those belonging to the 'Darkness' (to quote @Hugh Jarse).

So, Newbie, I stand corrected. The hooker I saw run on with the ball as captain was leading the NZ Baa Baas side out. The captain of the NZ #1 side was indeed Ioane, as you pointed out. I had the wrong game in mind ;-)
IMG-20141002-00386.jpgIMG-20141002-00387.jpg

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Gee you'd feel hard done by if you were dropped for a bloke who only came into camp 2 days before the test, expecially Yeomans who was one of our best on Tuesday and from all reports he can play 10 if needed.

Maybe, random, but there are no 'rights' in test footy. Everyone is there to get the win, and nobody should feel less than anyone else, even if they are running the water or the tee for a given match.

For each of the 2 games so far there have been 3 players from the squad sitting it out (not in the team or on the bench) and they aren't necessarily there because they are last choice - it might be about trialing other players the coach is uncertain about, or just getting 'rested' for some other strategic reason - it's all about supporting the team and the coach, who will do what he has to do to get a win.

If that means flying a needed player into the squad from the shadow squad and someone being left out, I think that's pretty much what most top class footy is like - get used to it. All for one and one for all. They'll still be part of the 'victorious touring party' if there is a win involved on Saturday.

He shouldn't feel "hard done by", he should feel blessed to be part of this tour and to have had the opportunity to play in two games for Australia.

This also goes for try scorers and goal kickers v those who do the grunt work. Nobody is more important than the other because every player needs to do their job for the team to win.

Sorry for the rant - hearing people encourage players to be 'precious' about their right to play, or even their right to a certain position, etc, just gets my goat. Please don't encourage this attitude - they just need to do the job they're told to do, when they're told to do it.

Bill McLean (32)
@Sideline Eye

I take it you are in NZ watching these games live you lucky @#$%; are you able to tell me how this Ioane kid went?

My outlaws in NZ (in particular my wife's know-it-all cousin) tell me that the kid is an absolute sensation. Better still this cousin is Auckland Grammar alumni in also renown for 'not letting truth get in the way of a good story'!

Notwithstanding the fact that he tends to put a wee bit too much 'sauce' on his stories, the account in the NZ Herald tends to support the abovementioned views of my outlaws that have been shared with me! I would be keen to know your opinion if you should have one to share (or anyone else on tour in NZ).

Open Side

Bob McCowan (2)
I was involved in getting T.Rudolf into TSC ...so I won't be bagging Scots.
TSC has been fantastic for Toby ...as he has also been for TSC. Having coached him in Club & Reps for years I've seen his skills and high work rate many times. He is certainly a guy who consistently plays "big" in tough matches. Correct...there's no shit in Toby Rudolf.He's also developed into an outstanding young man & leader.Absolutely staggered he wasn't selected for NZ ...based on his performances for NSW 1 at the Nationals and in all games for Scots.He's one of several NSW 1's / 2's players who I feel were hard done by.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
@Sideline Eye

I take it you are in NZ watching these games live you lucky @#$%; are you able to tell me how this Ioane kid went?

My outlaws in NZ (in particular my wife's know-it-all cousin) tell me that the kid is an absolute sensation. Better still this cousin is Auckland Grammar alumni in also renown for 'not letting truth get in the way of a good story SNIP

Hi Newbie. I am here, but I'm not able to give a good account of his performance. I only saw a bit of the Fiji v NZ match, so I can't really comment. Also, I would have a go at an assessment if I had been able to see the whole match, but I'm more of a forwards man, so I don't feel particularly skilled at analysing performances by the rock star princesses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Update from a snout on the inside from yesterday:

A training session was held at Upper Hutt Rugby Club in the morning followed by lunch in Upper Hutt where some boys had the opportunity to catch up with their parents. In the afternoon the team along with the other three teams, New Zealand, New Zealand Barbarians and Fiji attended a Mayoral Reception at the Westpac Stadium.

Schoolboy mayoral reception.jpg

Mayoral Reception

Schoolboy Caketin.jpg

At the Cake Tin. "We'll be back in a couple of years, out in the middle next time"

Schoolboy lineout work.jpg

When the bad guys are 6'9", lineout accuracy is important. Training in Upper Hutt.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Today's update from inside the Tour.

Preparations for the Test on Saturday are on going, starting with a Team Meeting after breakfast in Silverstream.

The team moved into a hotel in Wellington after Lunch. After settling in to the accommodation a short training session was held in wet conditions. Rain is expected for Saturday's Test. The boys are having a quiet night before their last day of preparation prior to the test match.

Wellington training 2.jpg

Above and below: Training in Wellington.

Wellington training 1.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any info on the test team I heard Goddard and O'Shea are the 9 and 10 combo

Probably right on the money, based on the games I have seen the pair of them play at Nationals and on TV vs Barbars. Duffy didn't get too much time to impress in the Barbars game, and I didn't see how he went in the Fiji test.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
All can I say boys need to toughen up and
get a bit mongrel in them and give no quarter and
put them NZ boys to the sword

You guys need to have a bit of faith in the coach. Phillpotts is one of the most successful,Aussie schoolboys coaches of all time and the ONLY coach to win back to back series against NZ
In last 3 years we have won 2 and lost one by a point --- so he appears to know what he is doing interms of selections.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Coach or Cattle?

There have been some freakishly talented athletes wear the Gold Jumper recently.

Also if @Newbie is correct, The Darkness may have contributed to some of our success with their own selection issues.

Additionally I think that there has been elements of Deansism in some of the selections this year, and last year, with many players being used out of their "natural" position, but that is for another thread.

Meanwhile, the team for tomorrow is still not up on the Schools website. I'd reckon the players already know the team composition, and that it will be formally released mid-morning and on the web site around lunchtime.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was involved in getting T.Rudolf into TSC .so I won't be bagging Scots.
TSC has been fantastic for Toby .as he has also been for TSC. Having coached him in Club & Reps for years I've seen his skills and high work rate many times. He is certainly a guy who consistently plays "big" in tough matches. Correct.there's no shit in Toby Rudolf.He's also developed into an outstanding young man & leader.Absolutely staggered he wasn't selected for NZ .based on his performances for NSW 1 at the Nationals and in all games for Scots.He's one of several NSW 1's / 2's players who I feel were hard done by.

Is Toby currently Year 11? Looks like a good career in front of him!

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/australian-team-play-new-zealand-schools/

1 Phil Bradford Hunter Sports High school
2 Ed Craig Epping Boy’s High School
3 Vunipola Fifita Newington College
4 Reece Hewat St Joseph’s Nudgee College
5 Andrew Vatuvei Sarah Redfern High School
6 Maumau Monu Canberra College
7 Connor Moroney St Joseph’s College G/Ter
8 Harley Fox (Captain) Anglican Church Grammar School
9 Harrison Goddard Oakhill College
10 Connor O’Shea St Joseph’s College
11 Joey Fittock The Southport School
12 Sione Tuipulotu St Kevin’s College
13 Izaia Perese Anglican Church Grammar School
14 Sepesa Loga-Tarogi Newington College
15 Jordan Fulivai St Francis Xavier College
16 Gavin Luka St Joseph’s Nudgee College
17 Richie Asiata Anglican Church Grammar School
18 Shambeckler Vui Ipswich Grammar School
19 Tuaina Tualima Brisbane State High School
20 Hugh Summerhayes Cranbrook School
21 Nicholas Duffy St Joseph’s College
22 Jack McGregor St Ignatius’ College
23 Ned Yeomans Kinross Wolaroi

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Got it mostly right. Maybe it is a good thing I am not the Selector.:D

Blake, Tuimaleali'ifano, Pritchard and Jackson-Hope not in the 23.

Congrats to the team on being selected and best wishes for Saturday.

Regardless of the result on Saturday, it will be a very special moment for the 23 boys selected to participate in this match at the pinnacle of their careers to date.

To those that missed out on the 23 and those left at home on the cruel side of the Selectorial Lottery, and their friends, supporters and family, remember that there will be other opportunities in the future if you apply yourself and remain fit and keen. If the toys get thrown out of the cot now, then future opportunities will not happen.

C'mon Oz. Go you good things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A bit rough on Summerhayes and Yeomans being dropped to the bench.

Looking forward to watching this game tomorrow morning.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Maybe, but at least they are there, and good luck to them.

How rough is it riding the pine for your National Age Group team?
Their glass would be 7/8ths full IMHO. In Yeoman's case, it's overflowing. He was rejected by his School Association and NSW Selectors and only made the tour from the shadow squad. Bloody good effort (and an ounce of luck) on his behalf to even be in contention.

There are about 6000 other Year 12 rugby players in Australia that didn't even make the tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.