• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
Living in the UK, I get to watch Toulon play nearly every week. Giteau and Mitchell are playing superbly, especially Giteau. Lets forget what ever rules the ARU has put in place and get these guys back in the Wallabies for the RWC. They make the present incumbents look like schoolboys.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'd usually accuse someone suggesting such a thing at 1230AM to be drunk while at the computer, unfortunately for everyone its 230pm in the uk meaning you suggested this while being stone cold sober.....

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
PARIS: Former Wallaby star Matt Giteau has been named the player of the year in French rugby for the 2013/14 Top 14 season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you people even watch Toulon play? He's killing it, I'm not saying he'd walk into the Wallabies or whether we actually need him but the comments by most seem negative dismissing his form over there. Best 10 in Europe at the moment, good for him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No, he was the best 12 in Europe, playing next to an all-time legend, before taking over at 10 when Jonny packed up his boots. All behind a pretty fucking handy forward pack.

None of those luxuries will he enjoy in these woods.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was reported that Racing Metro offered him 1,000,000 euro to leave Toulon, making him highest paid rugby player in the world... he declined... many people here think he is the best Rugby player in Europe. The Pommy commentators speak in awe of him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He may have had the #12 on his back when Jonny was there but Jonny was there for kicking. Gits still ran the show and would regularly pop into 1st receiver, often Toulon would play them either sides of the field.

Giteau is currently the highest paid player in the Top 14 (so Europe) after he re-signed it was reported.

They're after Carter too.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
Two of the planet's greatest Rugby minds, (John and myself) agree on this one:

"Former Wallabies coach John Connolly says Matt Giteau would be the "ideal captain" for Australia at the World Cup, calling for the ARU to relax its eligibility rules and offer the Test captaincy to help entice him back to international rugby."

see Rugby Heaven

T

Train Without a Station

I will repeat my same comment I have made numerous times. All of these players who were in average form when they left Australia are now in "career best form in Europe". Must be a really tough comp where every player is challenged.

T

Train Without a Station

So a player cannot improve his form with a change of scenery? Happens all the time.

Of course they can.

I'm just saying with the following players who were in average form, suddenly being in this exceptional form in Europe, the quality of Top 14 and the premiership needs to be questions:

Julian Salvi, Leroy Houston, Mark Chisholm, Dean Mumm, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau and that's just off the top of my head before mentioning players that couldn't get a run here only to excel there like Brock James.

How often has a good player really struggled to make an impact? Rarely. It's pretty common for a player to be in even more amazing form than when they left Australia though. They must just have really good coaches I guess.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Of course they can.

I'm just saying with the following players who were in average form, suddenly being in this exceptional form in Europe, the quality of Top 14 and the premiership needs to be questions:

Julian Salvi, Leroy Houston, Mark Chisholm, Dean Mumm, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau and that's just off the top of my head before mentioning players that couldn't get a run here only to excel there like Brock James.

How often has a good player really struggled to make an impact? Rarely. It's pretty common for a player to be in even more amazing form than when they left Australia though. They must just have really good coaches I guess.

He won't come back so its a mute point, but Gits had a couple of bad years towards the end but was mostly an outstanding player here as well.

We all know his class, and his Happy and in form, I've watched some of his games and highlights, his been playing beautifully, and he could do that here as well.

But he won't and good for him.

T

Train Without a Station

Tomikin,

I believe it's "moot". Unless you were looking to make a silent point.

With regards to form. He's an absolute class player. But that class is only seen with other quality players around him. He seems to struggle with being the primary attacking option. That is what people forget.

You cannot play like he does without skill and ability. But he cannot, without the quality around him. That is not guaranteed at international level.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Anyone who is talking down Matt Gitaues current form/achievements in the Top 14, doesn't watch the top 14 or has an inflated view of Super Rugby. If Australia was to pick it's best squad and not just the ones who are in Australia, he'd be a certain selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.