• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I think our best 4 back rowers are Thomson, Gill, Browning and Robinson.

But that leaves us with a single 8 who has barely played any Super Rugby there so I see Schatz being the reserve.

But I'm with DVH and don't think they will go that way despite it being the best. Browning or Beau will likely ride the pine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Browning strikes me as a guy who could provide more impact off the bench than Schatz.

Could start Thomson, Gill, Schatz and finish with Browning, Gill, Schatz.

Unless you go with a 6:2 split it's hard to get Robinson or Quirk onto that bench as well.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Was hoping for a big bopper 8 but Adam Thomson will do just fine. Best thing about this is that it adds serious depth to the backrow stocks, which could prove invaluable if (when) injuries occur.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With the season the way it is this year I imagine there'll be a fair bit of rotation, particularly in the back row. The depth we have there now bodes very well for the season a ahead.

As far as first choice goes it'll likely be a question of who other then schatz is any good at the back of the scrum, ideally I'd like to see browning developed there, I think that offers the best overall balance with Thomson and gill.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If you're Quirk right now, surely you're thinking about asking for a contract release? Consider you've got Thomson, Browning, Shatz, Tui, Robinson and Gill directly in front of you with Lolo in the EPS breathing up your neck.

Isn't Quirk currently injured as well? Mean's hes starting off on the back foot.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would have Shatz every time over Browning. GHis workload is immense and the rest of the piggies love playing with him.

Its all up to RG. I have confidence in his selections for 2015. (my personal positivity comment of the day). Also reckon Slipper Simmons Genia Cooper JOC (James O'Connor) and Hunt will be selected on a regular basis

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Jake's front-pod jumping was the primary asset that kept him in the starting side last season. If Thompson can replicate that role (and by god does he has the right body type to be a force in the air - light enough to get up quickly too) I can see him knocking Jake down to the bench.

Simmons, Horwill and Thompson will make for one seriously intimidating line out at Super Rugby level. Browning is no slouch either at 6'3", although it'd be nice if he had longer arms. Gilly is a solid back-pod jumper as well.

Seriously, Thompson front pod with Horwill and Simmons operating in the middle and back will just thunderfuck most line outs - especially with Stiles getting another year coaching the set piece.

With the back line we're about to roll out the more ball we can win at open set pieces, the better. Quade, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, CFS, Kerevi are all devastatingly effective runners in space.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I would have Shatz every time over Browning. GHis workload is immense and the rest of the piggies love playing with him.

Its all up to RG. I have confidence in his selections for 2015. (my personal positivity comment of the day). Also reckon Slipper Simmons Genia Cooper JOC (James O'Connor) and Hunt will be selected on a regular basis

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for any other facet of his coaching.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Quirk has been surpassed.

Quirk could look to move elsewhere, but realistically, he's not going to find a starting spot anywhere else either. It's debateable which sides he'd make the best 23 at.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Quirk has been surpassed.

Quirk could look to move elsewhere, but realistically, he's not going to find a starting spot anywhere else either. It's debateable which sides he'd make the best 23 at.

I think he'd just pack his bags to play overseas. An honest assessment see's him not making the Wallabies. He'd be best to beat the post-RWC rush and try and secure a juicy long term deal in France or Japan before the coin starts getting thrown at the internationally capped blokes.

T

Train Without a Station

To say he wouldn't make another 23 is a little naive. Many would have said that about Butler. Quirk had shown in 2013 to make more talent than Cottrell, Butler, Reid, Fugistaller, Timani, etc.

The talent is there.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Simmons, Horwill and Thompson will make for one seriously intimidating line out at Super Rugby level. Browning is no slouch either at 6'3", although it'd be nice if he had longer arms. Gilly is a solid back-pod jumper as well.

Seriously, Thompson front pod with Horwill and Simmons operating in the middle and back will just thunderfuck most line outs - especially with Stiles getting another year coaching the set piece.

With the back line we're about to roll out the more ball we can win at open set pieces, the better. Quade, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, CFS, Kerevi are all devastatingly effective runners in space.

I doubt it was your intention, but this old longback just got aroused by this post.

#alikewasnotenough

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To say he wouldn't make another 23 is a little naive. Many would have said that about Butler. Quirk had shown in 2013 to make more talent than Cottrell, Butler, Reid, Fugistaller, Timani, etc.

The talent is there.

I said it was debateable which sides he would make the 23 for, not that he wouldn't make any.

He was in great form in the first half of 2013 but couldn't replicate that in 2014 and has now had a long term injury.

Cottrell and Butler came on in leaps and bounds in 2014. Timani is having a breakout NRC.

It was more a comment that Quirk's place in a backrow pecking order wouldn't necessarily be better at another Australian team rather than the Reds.

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss Hendrik Tui. I have hopes he can be the signing of the year. Gill, Thompson and Tui for me, with Shatz off the bench.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Brilliant signing. That squad for mine has now gone from bunch of guys running on old form + a few young guys that needed more experience to a seasoned squad that is a mix of experience and youth with some serious fucking x factor out wide combined with a well balanced pack.

Our scrum with Slipper is quality
Our lineout with horwill + simmons is also quality (set piece wasn't an issue in 2014)
Hopefully our forwards play in tight and in loose general play picks up a lot with a more balanced back row

Kerevi at 12 with a full NRC behind him - good
Quade and Will injury free. Will just needs to book in that attitude transplant
combine that with an absolutely lethal back division and uh oh I'm off to the TAB

Status
Not open for further replies.