• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
When you get hired in an expensive gig, you get to set certain terms. Usually you can bring people across. Obviously, the new firm doesn't always scrutinise these people as closely as they would normal market hires as they are trusting your judgment and you have said they are the people you need beside you to get things done.

If Link brought in Patston from the Reds, he's responsible for her failures if she fails. She was HIS hire. That's the way it works - if you get the rope to set things up the way you want them, you'll hang by that rope when those things don't work.

That said, I don't think Link will go, as Pulver would prefer to reduce Link's apparent culpability so he (Pulver) doesn't look incompetent to the board and the public. The further down the chain the rogues are, the further the CEO can distance himself personally from the rogue behaviour. If Beale is the one that fucked up, that's hardly the CEO's fault. All he needs to do is not renew the contract and he'll appear to be dealing with the problem. If Patston fucked up, it can be put on Link but not really put Pulver. If Link fucked up, that's Pulver's problem.

There's plenty of scope for the ARU to keep much of this stuff under wraps from the public, so Pulver can spin things a bit for his benefit.

In summary, what will come from this is that Beale was almost solely at fault. His contract won't be renewed and Pulver's investigation will be presented as dealing with the issue. They are unlikely to say anything negative publicly about Patston as they either have an agreement to refrain from doing so or they would have been advised by their own lawyers to not do so.

There might be some fairly tame implied public criticism of Link but it won't be anything too significant and it sure as shit won't cost him his job .

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In summary, what will come from this is that Beale was almost solely at fault. His contract won't be renewed and Pulver's investigation will be presented as dealing with the issue. They are unlikely to say anything negative publicly about Patston as they either have an agreement to refrain from doing so or they would have been advised by their own lawyers to not do so.

There might be some fairly tame implied public criticism of Link but it won't be anything too significant and it sure as shit won't cost him his job .

I think that you are spot on with this analysis.

He may not have the same lattitude to hire staff though.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think he knows what to do about the playing roster anyway.

I suspect he hopes the return of Cooper and maybe Genia will get the team performing near where it needs to be and that they will be able to eek out enough wins for him to get re-hired. If he has a grand plan beyond that it is very well hidden.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
If I'm going to be fair dinkum, signing a kid at 16 and throwing him in at super 12 at a very young age was probably not the best idea in hindsight. I always bang on about these kids needing to serve an apprenticeship, even if it mean Hangers at ten for another season or two. Otherwise it seems that they feel they're indespensible, and therefore act accordingly.
The last superstar schoolboy to come out ok-ish was really Elton Flatley, and even then he spent a lot of the mid-late 90s as understudy to Mandrusiak, Drahm, and Spooner at the Reds.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The last superstar schoolboy to come out ok-ish was really Elton Flatley, and even then he spent a lot of the mid-late 90s as understudy to Mandrusiak, Drahm, and Spooner at the Reds.

He had his share of off field drams too, alcoholism amongst them..

I agree with the general tone of your message though..sure, sign him at 16 but make him play grade, now NRC as well, and bring him through the emerging Tahs program..debut him when he is a man, not a kid..

T

Train Without a Station

He should still have absolute control over selections, just maybe not the employment of support staff.

Yes and no. Surely he should be able to set his assistants for example.

But perhaps creating new non-performance side roles.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Shame, it seems like he needs the lattitude to run the broom through his playing roster.
How will that help?
It's not like we were all screaming that he picked 6 Nuff nuff's that shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.Any new players coming in will be similar in quality at best.
I'm disappointed that his talk about standards etc last year,turned out to be talk only.
Unfortunately if he is not on the same page as the leadership group after a year.
He is failing at his job.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How will that help?
It's not like we were all screaming that he picked 6 Nuff nuff's that shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.Any new players coming in will be similar in quality at best.
I'm disappointed that his talk about standards etc last year,turned out to be talk only.
Unfortunately if he is not on the same page as the leadership group after a year.
He is failing at his job.

Or the other scenario is both parties are to blame. Link is the second coach to come in, talk of standards etc and he may be the second successive coach to fail. The common problem to both may be the playing group. Why should the coach be on the same page as the leadership group and not the other way around? What success have they had as group to earn that right? Link needs to earn there respect as well, this is not a one way street, failings lie in both groups.

Both the coach and players need to pull there heads out of there asses and get on with things.

M

Moono75

The Wallabies brand, team, management is all kinda smelling like a turd at the moment. They aren't doing themselves any favours on or off the field. Someone better step up and pull this whole mess together and get the ship back on course for the WC (which I think is beyond us now).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Or the other scenario is both parties are to blame. Link is the second coach to come in, talk of standards etc and he may be the second successive coach to fail. The common problem to both may be the playing group. Why should the coach be on the same page as the leadership group and not the other way around? What success have they had as group to earn that right? Link needs to earn there respect as well, this is not a one way street, failings lie in both groups.

Both the coach and players need to pull there heads out of there asses and get on with things.
Yeah it was poor wording on my part.
Clearly the leaders have to buy into his vision and standards,but clearly they haven't.
Pragmatists are poor disciplinarians.
The Welsh Test last year was a perfect example.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Link is the second coach to come in, talk of standards etc and he may be the second successive coach to fail. The common problem to both may be the playing group. Why should the coach be on the same page as the leadership group and not the other way around? What success have they had as group to earn that right?

This I agree with. And I agree that the coach needs to earn the players' respect.
But when the backline isn't aligning in attack or defence, if the captain concedes that he cannot get his players to keep their heads on onfield, if a player is abusing a staff member repetitively, it sounds like the playing group needs to use player power - and not to usurp coaching and admin, but to usher in a culture of personal accountability. Let's face it, there's no point in blaming a coach's tactical acumen when you're not getting the basics right onfield, and there's no point blaming the coach when a player cannot act in the manner befitting an adult (IF the allegations are true, I must stress).

As you've said, this has been the case over the tenure of TWO successful provincial coaches. Blaming the coach is putting the cart before the horse. It's time for a handful of senior players to stand up, act as an example, and cop sanctions sweetly when they're out of line. Hate to join the chorus of smug Kiwis, but it's true, the All Blacks got it right when they took a collective look in the mirror in 2007. As a result, their coach can leave recalcitrant players at home without reams of newsprint being dedicated to the topic.

Sheds a new light on the Deans era, doesn't it?

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not sure a corporate strategy like this works 100% of the time in rugby.

The more the players are silent the more the press will fill the silence with their own theories and gossip.

I'm not saying you need every player out there, but I think it is appropriate for the current captain to reiterate his support for the coach and try and shift the focus back towards the rugby itself.
Possibly and I can't speak for the team.

I know if I was in the middle I'd be using this to bring the team together with a siege mentality and a point to prove next Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.