• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No likee. Which snout in LeatherPatchLand has shares in a Rebranding Consulting Practice?

Rugby has a traditional backbone and culture. Why change?

Will changing the name change the culture of the Gin soaked, Shiraz guzzlers running the IRB/World Rugby? If so, then I'm all for it, but I reckon it will be same old same old WII-FM* regardless of the name.

Romeo and Juliet Act II Scene II Lines 47-48.

* What's In It For Me.

Agree with 90% of the above but do you mean

47 Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
48 And for that name which is no part of thee

OR

43 What's in a name? That which we call a rose
44 By any other name would smell as sweet;

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
By this counting system, my 47/48 = your 43/44 above:

1. The Same. CAPULET’S Orchard
2. Enter ROMEO.

3. Rom. He jests at scars, that never felt a wound. [JULIET appears above at a window.]

4. But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
5. etc etc

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
By this counting system, my 47/48 = your 43/44 above:

1. The Same. CAPULET’S Orchard
2. Enter ROMEO.

3. Rom. He jests at scars, that never felt a wound. [JULIET appears above at a window.]

4. But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
5. etc etc

Yeah, I thought "Without that title Romeo..." was a bit obscure/ cryptic, even for you lol.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Had the pleasure today of watching UBB v Montpellier in Bordeaux. Happy snap of Ben Mowen about to catch after I suggested somewhat loudly to the hooker that he should throw it to Ben. Montpellier scored from the lineout which did not make me super popular with locals. Aussie fans could take some lessons from these guys when it comes to passionate support, ie you don't need to have been introduced to your fellow supporter in order to enjoy yourself loudly - a great occasion, especially with home side winning despite my interference.
NB UBB had a try disallowed, which we had a clear view and saw ball touch chalk. The ref was unsighted and the video replays did not have the right angle. The assistant ref had the same line of vision as us but was decidedly quiet - what is it with these guys?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 276

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I loved this tidbit from Ruck'n Maul year in review today:

The best 'they should have double-checked' moment
During the Bulls-Lions Super Rugby match, a minute's silence was held before kick-off for a number of former Bulls players who had recently died. Shortly after, the daughter of one of the players mourned rang the ground to explain: "He's not dead, he was watching the game in his lounge room, and boy is he upset."

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Toulon vs Toulouse (oct 12)

English commentary, featuring Robbie Nock and Digby Ioane.

Robbie: "Yellow card for Bakkies Botha".

Digby: "Told ya mate, Bakkies..... again. Top bloke, but very dirty in the games".

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From today's Peter FitzSimons column:

"Martin Stanley, brother of All Black centre "Smokin' Joe" Stanley, gives the eulogy at the funeral of their mother Nancy on Wednesday in Auckland: "During the last days in hospital Mum and I were talking about where we go after we pass. She said she expected to go up. I said, 'Mum, what if you go up, but I go down?' 'Then,' she said, 'I suppose I'll be watching the All Blacks on TV ... and you'll have to watch the Warriors'."

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Craig Joubert forgets who the home team is and starts talking like he's in Auckland:
Sweet, thanks bru.

As an American, it's always a little difficult to watch U.S. rugby commentary. We always have to remind ourselves that it's mainly for the benefit of the television audience who don't know the game, and most likely the commentators were given a list of key terms before the match (you can play "key term bingo" with U.S. commentary).

But knowledge of a sport, or lack of, doesn't stop loads of U.S. commentators getting work covering any sport. All it really takes is a relatively unidentifiable accent, fairly indistinct facial features, and a degree from the right school and/or being part of the right frat/sorority.

Status
Not open for further replies.