• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

In all fairness, the quality of the staff appointed by Link does relate back to his tenure and the success of it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes, but this is now just about points of order and points scoring. Link has resigned, I think most of us have vented. There is a thread for new coaches I believe?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'll echo what others have said and say that I think we're sailing pretty close to the kind of material that got the Beale thread shut down. All we're left talking about now is pure speculation.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
***There has been quite enough covered regarding Di Patston's appointment, and the circumstances of this saga. We do not need more vague slurs on her ability and so on. The ARU were happy enough at the time with her appointment and the money she saved them. There is no hard evidence to say she should not have been in the role. Move on.***

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In case anyone is in doubt, when 2 mods independently post such suggestions, they ought to be heeded, even if one removes his first!!!

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
It was a natural tangent and one likely to go in this direction to be fair - it's the McKenzie resignation thread after-all, so it's not awfully surprising the circumstances that led to the resignation would be looked at again.

Anyway though, I suppose the bigger question is will Pulver now resign too? And if so, who replaces him?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
McKenzie doesn't want to be there... you have to respect that, its a complete ARU mess best to walk away, he can take some ownership too here... Wallabies captain and vis captain needs to shut up when in front of the press, standing up for there hopeless mate was a joke, just not professional, just shut up and let management deal; with this nonsense please... why Wallabies players think they have to speak up is beyond me, respect the jersey, and let the leaders lead please, just be a play

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It was a natural tangent and one likely to go in this direction to be fair - it's the McKenzie resignation thread after-all, so it's not awfully surprising the circumstances that led to the resignation would be looked at again.

Anyway though, I suppose the bigger question is will Pulver now resign too? And if so, who replaces him?

any tangent is now cancelled, move on

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
So Link is gone. Who to blame has clearly been a hot topic here while I've been away given the recent mod comments. So much so that any reference to Beale or Patston has been banned!

Anyway, all 3 are effectively gone for now. So how do we move forward? I imagine the first mandate for the new coach is to sort out any residual rifts between players who have taken sides in the whole affair. That's gotta be made easier by the main parties not being there anymore but nevertheless is not an enviable task given the fallout.

I'd think it would have to be someone removed from the situation. Cheika seems a risk if any residual rift is primarily between Tahs and others. The other name mentioned everywhere is Jake White - but that will bring with it serious reservations not only as a flight risk but also in terms of how we want to play.

Any chance we can coax Lord Laurie of Gloucester back into the fold? I mean he is already over there.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Strong feedback suggests that Fischer is a great forwards technician but better placed as an assistant.
There's nothing wrong with being a strong and capable 2IC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
For all the what ifs, etc with Link, one thing is clear to me, there is a problem within the squad, Link said as he announced he was stepping down he indicated he didn't have support of senior members of the team. This is not because of Beale, Patson or what was in press, as a unified team would of come out and supported Link post haste!! The press conference with Pulver and Hooper, I thought gave the impression that Pulver was very angry and rightly supported Link, and Hoopers was the worst expresiion of support for a coach I have heard. Take note Steve Moore came out and said he thought Link was a terrific coach, did we hear even anything slightly like that from Hooper?? No!! There in a nutshell is why Aussie is seeking a new coach!! Perhaps most a happy with all this player power stuff, but personally if that kind of crap happened in a team I supported I would be very disappointed!! hooper would certainly not be leading team if I was in position to change it!
Anyway my little rant over, as I've said before I just an old bugger who believes in loyalty to coach and team is very important!

T

Train Without a Station

Any issues with Hooper I think are a symptom of it though. I doubt he is the source or anywhere near it, even though he's captain.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
One last thing to post on this thread - Thank you Link for all the hard work you put into the Wallabies over the past 16 months (and Australian rugby beyond that). Unlike others I thought that the Wallabies had bridged the gap with our leading competitors (draw and 1 point loss to the ABs - Wellington I thought was an aberration; win and hard fought loss to the Springboks) over the past 12 months and almost achieving a grand slam at the end of last year (only defeated by some piss poor officiating - 'not enough obstruction' wtf). Good luck in your future endeavours, except if you happen to be coaching against a team I support!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think everyone is in agreement that they both handled the situation clumsily. There was some middle ground where they could have supported their teammate without condoning his actions.

By the same token, they shouldn't cast their teammate out and make bold statements that the behaviour is not tolerated and he'll never play for the Wallabies again.

People are rightfully worried about and speculating that player power is an issue in this situation. By the same token, players deciding who gets to stay and who goes shouldn't happen either.

Everyone has a job and for the captain and one of the vice captains, that doesn't involve deciding on disciplinary matters of players.

But they should have said something to the effect that that type of behaviour is intolerable and any further action deemed necessary will follow the CofC's investigation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But they should have said something to the effect that that type of behaviour is intolerable and any further action deemed necessary will follow the CofC's investigation.

Isn't this just the exact opposite of saying that they don't think Beale should be fired over the matter?

It's making a judgement that players shouldn't be making about their teammates.

The official word from Hooper as captain could have been that the team are supporting Kurtley.

When asked about the specific incident all Hooper needed to say was that they're supporting their teammate but they won't comment on the specifics as the issue will be dealt with by the ARU's Integrity Unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.