• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Australia has to cut its cloth a bit differently both because of money and depth. I cannot see why it is absolutely essential that super rugby coaches play no part in the Wallaby setup. Just as I do not understand why Wallaby assistant coaches are not in the top echelon of Australian coaches.

How sad that the Waratahs think they have to conduct a global search ....

I suppose about as sad that we have to actively consider foreign coaches for the Wallabies as we only ever seem to have at any one time a maximum of one Australian that might be considered.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
There is no good reason for the ARU to hire Foley. He's not a coach worthy of the position.

Chieka and a new manager would suffice. Potentially Larkham if McKay wants to follow link out the door.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There is no good reason for the ARU to hire Foley. He's not a coach worthy of the position.

Chieka and a new manager would suffice. Potentially Larkham if McKay wants to follow link out the door.
Cheika, by his own admission, did not do enough in set piece work at the Tahs. Now that doesn't mean he can't, but I think a dedicated forwards coach is an absolute must. Fisher is gone; Foley is a good one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cheikas tahball is going to grind to a fucking halt when we are up against the blacks or boks or poms (at home). The lot of you will be begging for jakeball in 12 months.

You can stir fry my own balls in front of me and make me eat them before I beg for that that **** to anywhere near one of MY rugby teams. The day that happens, I'll go support a filthy pack of utter ****s like the Wogdogs or Grubbitohs in the NRL.

If Cheika takes the job, he needs a forwards coach, and for this Euro tour why not have Blades or Foley do that and Larkham run the backs?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I think Foley is a proven forwards and assistant coach. Personally think one of Deans' mistakes was getting rid of him for a forwards coach who did not seem to have the same focus on the set piece.

Clearly failed as Head Coach at Waratahs but it was a difficult step maybe? I remember a story that there were quite a few issues under Hickey (?) and Foley was the go to guy for the players. This was a potential issue identified by the pundits when Foley was appointed.

I think his second season at the Force is a clear improvement on previous seasons at the Tahs and the Force. Note however the Force is an example of a team playing a different game plan to fit its playing group.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I am wondering whether it is time for me to go to bed. On one hand I have suddenly found common ground with TWAS on these threads! On the other hand I cannot see a good nights sleep ahead with the image of pfitzy's balls being stir fried. Tough being a pundit ....

T

Train Without a Station

Well muglair, I knew you'd come around to common sense eventually.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
He can take Tony back as forwards coach, I am sure a lot of Rebels fans are happy for him to go back where he came from ;)

P

Paradox

I think your suggestion holds a lot of wisdom.

I predict that you have all seen this seen this story before, and it will not end well for anyone; especially the game.

In the recent past there is a real-life story, that contained the same elements, was initially played out in the shadows of corridors until no longer could the assassins hide.

Those 3 infamous faceless men who claimed Rudd's leadership and forced the unprepared next leader into the spotlight too early. Their term was spent defending the power play, and in the end the public showed its disdain and showed no mercy.

The actions of those men, and those that chose to ride the power train caused some of the best, the most valuable and experienced people to find it intolerable, unacceptable and choose to leave.

So, those faceless men who whispered in the shadows, plotting, wanting power; who have now struck taking down McKenzie. Have they now pushed an under prepared man in to the spotlight before his time? Have they also pushed the wavering support of the public beyond their line of tolerance and acceptance? Of course there are those who will rubbish my claims, the "rusted on" but they are few, weak and will not save the game.

The candidate is keen but inexperienced, the tightrope awaits; there is no time to erect the safety net. Is this merely a sideshow for the public and media?

Michael is talented, but not of the people or for entertainment, and without these elements the game does not survive. Although admired, and successful, he polarises and is an acquired taste. The game needs to suit the palate of the masses, not a niche who like dry, with spice and lacking finesse.

Is this a case of be careful what you wish for? The blade has 2 edges and can cut both ways. Will it claim the Waratahs first, then the Wallabies? Will these wounds prove fatal for the game?

Now, let the show begin. Sadly the critics reviews are suggesting that the first act will be a repeat of the previous three shows;

...welcome all to the circus ARU - to see the newest, brightest best ever super rugby title winning coach lead the Wallabies.....

Great post. Enjoyed that. The Rudd analogy is an interesting one.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have to say I'm pretty fucking excited about Cheika, Larkham and Foley if it comes to fruition. That's a real quality trio for their roles.

Not sure how this is going to impact Super Rugby, but can't see it being positive. Can expect some dour derbies too with such shared knowledge. Advantage Rebels & Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.