• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Against the originally proposed criteria of "challenges" being the home games of the current holder, has anyone been tracking who is the current holder of the "Official" shield?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
assuming that's how we're doing it, City as the winners of the first game had it. Then lost it to the Rising in round 3 who've defended it twice against the Spirit and the Vikings.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck I keep meaning to do something about this, and as there are no other design suggestions:

@RugbyFuture - my ideas:

- Main structure is timber, approx 50mm thick
- Round in shape 700mm in diameter edge to edge
- On the front side, a centre plate approx 250mm in diameter. Centre is embossed with ARU logo in gold, and the words curved around it in a circular fashion: SHAWN MACKAY SHIELD
- Around the edge of it, like the Mandela Plate, have on the top half:

NATIONAL RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP

and the bottom half

AUSTRALIAN RUGBY UNION

That should get it started.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fuck I keep meaning to do something about this, and as there are no other design suggestions:

@RugbyFuture - my ideas:
Time for action. Ideas for the design can follow alongside.

Right now it seems like this thing is all talk. No better than the ARU.

Spruiking will be needed but if that's the only thing happening then the bullshit detectors start going off.

Q's

1. Who is paying for it?
  • Last I heard, the ARU said "nice idea" then: <sound of cicadas> So it looks like it won't be them - but someone should try to confirm that.
  • If the fans (i.e. us) are to raise funds then we need a pledge site (perhaps on the GAGR shop with payment options - what's used for the stubbie coolers, PayPal/Credit Cards?) and someone to collect the readies that get donated. Then get the word out (and look to get others besides GAGR people involved; The Roar, etc).
2. Who is going to produce the thing?
  • There have already been some good suggestions. Canberra Men's Shed to make it? Or someone else skilled and able to contain costs? Once there is some cash in the tin then approaches need to be made. Give them a design brief - but let the maker have some input.
  • Other alternatives may be to buy something ready made (might be costly) or to re-purpose an existing trophy (maybe not).
3. When does it need to be ready?
  • There is only a month or so now until the NRC Grand Final. If is going to be presented to the winners then there's a need to get cracking.
  • Otherwise it probably gets bumped to next year. May as well leave it to the ARU - if it ain't going to happen anyway.
As a final note: If this is fan-funded, then leave out the ARU logo and name (this also avoids impinging on those name/logo rights). Keep it simple. "Shawn Mackay Shield" should be enough.

HorseSizedDuck

Peter Burge (5)
1. Who is paying for it?
  • If the fans (i.e. us) are to raise funds then we need a pledge site (perhaps on the GAGR shop with payment options - what's used for the stubbie coolers, PayPal/Credit Cards?) and someone to collect the readies that get donated. Then get the word out (and look to get others besides GAGR people involved; The Roar, etc).

Indiegogo or Kickstarter for crowd funding?

Or is that too hip?

HorseSizedDuck

Peter Burge (5)
kickstarter is better than indiegogo these days, with less rules than there used to be it would be quite easy.

From my knowledge Kickstarter requires at least a prototype to be on the website. While Indie can be just a "cool idea" that has no prototype.

but i could be wrong...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Waiting for some designs last update I did.

Might have to happen over summer and get presented start of next year

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
yeah sorry guys, I had some paid jobs come in so have had to focus on them obviously. Will get on it as soon as I can.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So The Melbourne Rising held the Shield until they were beaten at home by Perth Spirit.

Perth Spirit lost tonight but it was not at their home venue, so they retain the Shield for the off-season?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck mate I dunno. Think we need to get some consensus on this, and try to get a shield built over Summer.

I get the feeling you're right though: Rising won all their home games, and the minor premiership. So it should probably go to them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What Rules are we using?

I'm happy for City to have it, as the inaugural winners overall.

NPC rules would say the Rising would have it, based on City winning it in the opener, then lossless in the round robin.

Either way, congratulations to whoever has it, Spirit, City or Rising.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just a thought. The Ranfurly Shield is not at stake during ITM Finals/Semi Finals.

Maybe our shield should stay with The Rising over the off-season. They were not beaten in a "challenge" at home during the "regular" season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Even if City won it as the first home team winner, Rising took it off them and never relinquished it, because:

not at stake during ITM Finals/Semi Finals.

Anyway, the point is we need to get a design agreed on, get it drawn, figure out how to pay for it, and then get it built!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah Shield is only played for during round robin and special challenges, not during any finals games.

Melbourne still hold it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'll throw in half a monkey. One thing the shield should have is some sort of acknowledgement it was "donated by a group of enthusiastic rugby supporters from G&GR".

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
tell you what, there are an increasing number of Shawn Mackay trophies going around. The Rebels have one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.