• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
USELESS LOOP - WA.

Following along @hugh jarse's WA theme you have Useless Loop. Head to Geraldton Hugh and keep going.
On the shores of Shark Bay you are in one of the starkest parts of the continent. Beautiful is a word that can be used over and over up here.
You can see the township across the bay , but it is a day trip to get there by road. You have to head to Gerro as Hugh said for Rugby, but you may find some backpacker milf over in Monkey Mia etc.
No idea on the pie situation but there is a little bakery in Denham that is well serviced.
Trying to think of something to compare to auburn with, but after my last therapy, the shrink says it is best to leave it alone.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Been there, Done that. Red Card for Useless Loop.

Useless Loop, WA. Just across the way from Monkey Mia, this joint is not quite as useless as thought when it was first named. The useless sandbar across the harbour mouth allows the area to produce some of the worlds finest salt.

Still looking for a U town.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
UMAGICO - QLD

FNQ.
Lets all go swimming with Saltys here kiddies.
Mangrove Jacks, Barra, Prawns the size of lobsters. And Muddies that would take a limb off you.
It is just out of Bamaga on the Gulf/Cape tip. Again a beautiful part of the continent. The closest Rugby team would be either Port Douglas or Cairns. Maybe even Port Moresby as its closer.
Life moves veeeerrrrrrrrryyyyy slow in this neck of the woods.
I would like to go here every winter and take Dave Beat with me fishing.
This is where you have locals that still fish with spears (because it works).

Heaven

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Oakleigh - Viv. Suburb of Melbourne and home to the Oakleigh Chargers who play AFL in the TAC Cup. Nearest rugby would be down at Monash University who play in Div 2 of the local comp.
Chadstone shopping centre is nearby which will satisfy any craving from a MILF to a pie.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Been there, Done that. Red Card for Useless Loop.

@Hugh

Is it possible that you may weave you magic and bring this thread up to date with which places have been used, ala posts #955, #956?
This would stop me making such mistakes.
Thanking you in anticipation Mr Jarse :) :) :)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hope Island, QLD being part of the white shoe brigade in the Gold Coast, with the Sanctuary Cove and Hope Island Resort, MILFs would certainly abound there, along with gourmet pies. Rugby clubs are plentiful there, with Brisbane and Surfers Paradise nearby.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Derby - Tas. I will be going to the NE part of Tasmania over the Melbourne Cup weekend and I am looking for pie recommendations for this area. As I will have my own MILF I will not be needing that, but feel free to post as a public service.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Yenda ..N.S.W. It's not far from Griffith , about 10 miles to be exact. Got a heap of vineyards around it and McWilliams call it home and so does about 1000 or so people. Got 1 pub from memory. To get a game of Rugby it would be easiest to go and play for the Griffith Blacks. Best pie's are probably found at "Mick's Bakehouse" in Leeton where the "Phantoms" come from. Probably find a MILF around there if you were to go the 10 miles to Griffith. For a history angle, they had a real big flood a couple of years back. Quite remarkable when you consider that the closest consistingly flowing water course near there is the" Bidgee" which would be 30 miles.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I take my eye off the ball for a wee while and the natives get restless. :) The Citing Commissioner has cast their eye over recent posts and found some irregularities.

Yarck - Vic. Home of the Tea Rooms at Yarck which is a great restaurant and worth the trip for a feed. You can also get a pie at a pie shop, but last time Baldric had a pie there he had to make a few unscheduled trips to the bush. Also famous for the saying, "where the fark is Yarck"

You're Yarcked. Red Card issued.
YARCK - VIC

If you have ever seen Vince Sorrenti do his comedy routine about how the Shark got its name ( The combo of Shhhhiiiitttt and Faaaaarrrrcccckkkk!!!!). Now you know how this village got named. Yuck and..F..
It is the halfway point between Shepparton and Melbourne. That is all it has going for it. Seriously. The next close town is Molesworth aka Whatsacoupla?

No food no rugby no milf no hope.
auburn could change its name to this joint and it still wouldn't improve auburn

To replace Yarck (Red Carded 2nd incarnation) is:
York, WA. Oldest inland town in WA. Wheat and Sheep land. Drop in to the Olde Worlde style Castle Hotel for cool beverages, good tucker, and air conditioned respite from the oppressive summer heat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
FORRESTERS BEACH - NSW
A big wave spot that Ross Clarke Jones cut his teeth on. No other redeeming features

Son of a Beach. Red card issued.
Foresters BeachNSW - Not much doing with food, but through the roundabout and over the hill at Wamberal there is the famous Wambie Whopper, a rather delectable hamburger. MILFs aplenty, especially the bogan kind. Nearest rugby club is the mighty Entrance Rams, with Jeremy Paul's Terrigal (aka The Filth) not far away.

To replace the Red Carded entry:
Four Mile Beach, QLD. Main beach at Port Douglas. Swim in the cage in front of the surf club in stinger season. Go to town for tucker and grog. Port Douglas Reef Raiders run around in the FNQ Rugby competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Darlington Point. Just outside Griffith in the Riverina. If you're driving from Wagga to Griffith, always go by Waddi then the Point. Inside tip from the locals.
Do I need to Point out the rules which don't allow duplicate entries. Red Card issued.
Darlington Point,NSW. On the banks of the Murumbidgee River, south of Griffith. Not many MILFs abound, pies should be found in the servos there as well in pubs, Griffith provides the rugby solution.
To replace the Red Carded Entry:
Dolls Point, NSW. A tiny little suburb near San Souci that no one ever goes to apart from residents. To get here, instead of following your nose at the Southern end of The Grand Parade and heading to the right, turn left. Nearest rugby is across the Tarren Point Bridge to watch the Hobbits run around at Forshaw Park. Rockdale Rangers Rugby is handy for juniors and subbies players.

Is it possible that you may weave you magic and bring this thread up to date with which places have been used, ala posts #955, #956?
This would stop me making such mistakes.
Thanking you in anticipation Mr Jarse :):):)
Magic weaved. Posts updated @Gristlechewer.

SIMPLE RULES.
Next town in the chain starts with the last letter of the previous town.
No previous entries.
A bit of trivia about the town is needed. - Preferably food, wine or rugby related trivia. Pie shop rating encouraged.
Use of resource material is discouraged but not against rules.

If you want to do a quick check if your "town" has already been used, click in the "Search" box just below your user name above.

Type in your "town".

REMEMBER to check the "Search this thread only" box in the options in the search popup.

If your "town" is not found in this search then it will be OK. (or go back to page 40 for a complete list of the towns). [Click on the arrow thingy in the green line below to go back to page 40]
Alphabetic listing so far:<snip>

If it has already been used, then it will be disqualified (RED CARD) and we revert to the previous "town's" last letter as the guide to the next "town".

Next town remains A from Yenda.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Oakleigh - Viv. Suburb of Melbourne and home to the Oakleigh Chargers who play AFL in the TAC Cup. Nearest rugby would be down at Monash University who play in Div 2 of the local comp.
Chadstone shopping centre is nearby which will satisfy any craving from a MILF to a pie.

Technically Harlequins in Ashwood is closer by 2km, and a hell of a lot easier to find a carpark.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
ANNANDALE- NSW

The Next generation of our kids will never know what it is like to have your shoes stick to the floor whilst in a lather of sweat in the seediest of venues that a Marshall stack ever stood in.
The Annandale Pub.
Many a buggered internal organ has wandered out of here, be it liver or eardrum and the bastards shut it down to live music!!! I wish a curse of genital pox on the lot of them!!!!
The little Gristles will never see the likes of the Sunnyboys, Radio Birdman or Died Pretty as they were starting out.
On the geographical side of things, I think it would be regarded as another of the inner west nondescript suburbs. Subbies teams to the north south east and west of them. In real footy, you have the Corporation to the east and Pirates to the west.
If anyone can give me a heads up as to a good pie in Annandale I would like that a lot as it seems to have been overrun by the pide/pizza/kebab.
There are Milfs there, but they all earn more money than me so....

If you fall into an unwitting hopeless life and you feel nothing is going good for you in Annandale, just remember that, whilst you are bloody close you are not in auburn

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eastern View, VIC. 1/2 way between Aireys Inlet and Lorne on the Great Ocean Road. It looks East. Home to the Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch, a tribute to the returning WWI Diggers who built the Great Ocean Road.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Wilcannia NSW... Lived not far from there when I was a kid. Pretty wild there nowdays. Coppers & teachers have a high turnover of staff out there, but , has all the mod cons and a good road to Broken Hill & Cobar. For rugby there is none and the closest club would be at Cobar which would be 150+ miles. For the fisho's it has the Darling. For history it was an inland port for steamers & barges. It was also the home of the first Resches Brewery. For anything else take a good tip and just keep heading west to Broken Hill. You will thank me.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
AKOLELE - NSW

Now everybody knows where Tilba is, but if you just keep heading south and turn left you will find Akolele on the north side of Wallaga Lake. Beautiful and a verdant green that you see only on the south coast. There are great eateries around with the Tilba Pie Shop a perennial favourite.
The Milf factor down here is either GPS mums retreating to the country house or hairy armpitted hippies that are in dire need of some dove deodorant.
On the Rugby side of things, I would say the Mighty Narooma Whales are the closest to Akolele.
I cannot think of any thing or reason as to why I can compare this place to auburn.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Emu Plains, NSW. We've already been to Emu, Emu Park, and Emu Swamp so it's only logical to include Emu Plains on our journey. This is the end of the Western Suburban Railway Line in Sydney. If you are taking the train to Emu Plains, make sure that you keep back from the platform edge. At Penrith (last station before Emu Plains), there are signs that advise you of the consequences if you don't keep away from the platform edge. https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2677/4493381472_ff95c847d3_z.jpg
This is a town trivia thread, and for trivia in the town of Emu Plains, head for O'Donahue's Irish Pub on a Tuesday night.

For rugby, head to Nepean Park to watch the Mighty Emus in the Shute Shield

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
San Remo. VIC. Nice little town and is the gate way to Phillip Island. We use to go there in November for our "Christmas party" long weekend and watch my brother race in the " Aust. super bike champs". Only Rugby is on Fox 1 2&3. Great seafood everywhere,chocolate factory for the brides, good fishing either by charter or pier, good swimming for the brave considering the 30000 seals that live there and what they attract plus the rips. MILFs are good on the eye at the beach as the more the sun shines the less the clothing becomes visible. I would suggest that it's nothing like Auburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.