• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't see Link coaching in Australia again. I wouldn't be surprised if he never coached again. He has been put through hell over the last period and most of it has been the result of others.

he can always go back to his profession

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just saw this on Twitter..

Wallaby 2011 World Cup captain James Horwill to join Quins after this World Cup according to @TheRugbyPaper…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm off the Wallabies for now, they make me feel sad and angry.

The Reds however haven't made me feel bad for months now so I'm feeling good about the Reds and all things QLD.

I'm therefore putting in an early tip for the lineup that will face the Brumbies in Rd 1 2015 (provided nobody injures themselves).

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Fa'agase
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Browning (Thomson isn't arriving till late I'm fairly sure)
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Hunt

16. Hanson
17. Daley
18. Talakai
19. McDuling
20. Tui
21. Frisby
22. Fainga'a
23. CFS

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
After Saturday I'd think Chris Kurindrani might be a chance of pushing into the 23.

Also I'm not a big fan of playing 12's at 13.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think Fa'agase will be hurled into the Reds front row to play the Brumbies in the first round. Unlike the Tahs they actually practise their scrums.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
^or any of the prospective tightheads in the NRC. Considering Graham's selections this year he might go Slipper at tighthead and Daley at loose. He did that in a match this year when Holmes was out injured.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kerevi's defensive inadequacies when playing 12 would be quickly found out and exploited in S15. In Brisbane City's NRC losses (all of which have been by plenty) the teams have found gaps around the mid-field, not all Kerevi's fault but his positioning etc was definitely contributing to the problem.

The Reds have plenty of guys who can play 12 (Taps, Ant Fainga'a, KHunt) so I think you'll see Kerevi going back to the 13 for Super Rugby.

I may be totally wrong though, perhaps his extended stint at 12 for Bris City is the brain child of RG and his plans moving forward.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Kerevi is a 13 who has played surprisingly well at 12 in the NRC in Tapuai's absence, which has given us all food for thought but at this stage I'd be leaving him at 13.

It's fair point about Chris Kuridrani, he has been exceptional (particularly in the last round vs Vikings, wow). He may take the 23 jersey.

On Slipper playing 3, I don't agree we should be weakening a strength to cover a weakness. I'd rather they show faith in two young blokes, the best of which seem to be Fa'agase and Talakai for mine. One needs a squad spot and the other and EPS spot.

We're still short one outside back. Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), Turner, CFS, Kuridrani, JJT is a good crop of 6, but a quick scan across the Aus soup squads reveals that you need at least 7, probably 8 blokes capable of playing in the back 3 in a Super squad. None of the wingers in the QLD NRC teams look ready to go. We should look elsewhere.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
We're still short one outside back. Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), Turner, CFS, Kuridrani, JJT is a good crop of 6, but a quick scan across the Aus soup squads reveals that you need at least 7, probably 8 blokes capable of playing in the back 3 in a Super squad. None of the wingers in the QLD NRC teams look ready to go. We should look elsewhere.

I think you will find the Reds will settle with someone from either Brisbane City or QLD Country. There may not be lots of depth already in the outside backs but the team already has a lot of money tied up elsewhere.

Some of the guys may not seem up to it yet but there have been good performances from a couple of guys. I believe they'll throw someone a base level contract for injury cover with the expectation its more of a development role.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No way would I be using one of the two remaining spots on at outside back. I'd be prepared to give them both to props.

As Jets said previously, tap into the talent outside the squad as back up outside back. Kuridrani is in the EPS. That should be fine.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pincus from Country would be my next choice of wingers from Country and City.

6 outside backs would normally be enough I would've thought, with another in EPS / WTS as cover. However, with CFS and Turner we have two very injury prone players, so a 7th in the WTS should be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.