• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Larkham was a fantastic player - no question - no doubt

He has been a coach for 5 minutes. The structure was in place after Mr White reneged on his contract. Ben Mowen was a great captain at the Brums (but not at the Wallaby level - I can hear the derisive outcrys but he caused some shit over there in Dublin amongst the team)). He also had that very underrated Laurie bloke with the long hair.
Before I pass judgment on Larkhams coaching abilities I'll wait to see how the Brumbies go in 2015.

T

Train Without a Station

Top 25 to 30 players I believe. Everybody else gets match payments.

Douglas would have earned close to the same if he played every match.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
It is disturbing that I am agreeing with TWAS with increasing frequency and will check the direction from which the sun rises in the morning.

Braveheart I am happy to defer to everyone else here on the subject of playing strategies etc. I do comprehend that each team is different as each coach brings their own skill set to a entirely discreet group of players. However I do not see the sort of divergence in style and philosophy that I see in Australia but do not have a strong view on that.

I am surprised at your comments on players and coaches and have definitely seen different commentary in our sports pages (the obvious flaw in my argument becomes glaring as I write).

Have just phoned a friend in NZ and he has a different view. There is influence in his opinion over player and coach movements and a draft for new players.

More sadly he is almost gobsmacked himself as to how player and particularly coaching depth is building across the ITM.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The other question that I feel remains unanswered is in the event that Michael Cheika is formally appointed as Wallabies coach, how long was the due diligence for this decision to be made? For this to occur there would have been a process that occurred prior to Ewen's departure or the ARU has decided that Cheika is the right fit some two days afterwards. Although I don't like the implications of option A, I would feel a damn sight better if this were the case rather than what seems to be an impulsive decision. Now Michael Cheika may prove to be the right man for the job, but like several things the ARU has done I question their process.

Right now I think the ARU are like a yacht in trouble.
The mast is snapped, the sails are down, the engine's gone, there's a fire down below, the hull is taking on water, and strong winds are pushing it towards rocks.
They're not in a position to check the credentials of their rescuer.
But the good news is that this rescuer has resuscitated teams close to death in the past.
He also knows that the ARU solution of installing a new satellite navigation system on that yacht is probably not the 1st priority.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Top 25 to 30 players I believe. Everybody else gets match payments.

Douglas would have earned close to the same if he played every match.
Anyone else think it's strange that we don't know who the ARU contracted players are?

Do other countries publish the list?

I don't care what the $ are, but it would be nice to know who makes the cut.

Pretty easy way for the players/ARU/new coach to usher in the new era of trust and transparency.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Cheika won't retain Jim McKay unless he has to for budgetary reasons.
If he lets him go it will lessen calls of favouritism towards ex Randwick people.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Right now I think the ARU are like a yacht in trouble.
The mast is snapped, the sails are down, the engine's gone, there's a fire down below, the hull is taking on water, and strong winds are pushing it towards rocks.
They're not in a position to check the credentials of their rescuer.
But the good news is that this rescuer has resuscitated teams close to death in the past.
He also knows that the ARU solution of installing a new satellite navigation system on that yacht is probably not the 1st priority.

Is Captain Pulver on board at this point or is he back at the yacht club?:)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Cheika won't retain Jim McKay unless he has to for budgetary reasons.
If he lets him go it will lessen calls of favouritism towards ex Randwick people.
In the current environment, does Cheika get to pick any of his support staff/assistants?

Pulver's going to want to keep a very close handle on all appointments

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Exactly.

What annoys me most about this whole sorry saga, is that by trying to make this all about Beale and NSW, people are completely absolving the Wallabies management and the ARU from any responsibility in dealing with a crisis that in reality was on the minor scale when compared to the controversies the AFL and NRL have dealt with over the years.

This shit was a classic case of crisis-management not only gone wrong, but gone missing. It's a fuck-up of epic proportions and is a reflection of poor systems with insufficient support and skills to manage a top line football code.

I can agree with the suggestion that this is a case of crisis management gone wrong, but the crisis occurred when Kurtley punched his Rebels' captain and a fellow player and he wasn't shunted then.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else is involved in the "whole sorry saga". The Wallabies were going pretty good under Link and despite the Eden Park shambles, showed every sign of improving especially as many of the injured pllayers on the sideline started to return. The ARU has introduced the NRC this year which is widely held to be a major innovation in Aus rugby. Sure, there are financial woes, but those predate the present CEO and are possibly due in large part to the previous CEO.

So what then is the saga?

There has been a series of events since the argument on the plane that has unfortunately led to the resignation of our coach. That argument involved, and may have been instigated by Beale. Early investigation of that incident disclosed further, much more serious incidents to be resolved. They also centred on Beale. All of the matters raised by these events are about Beale, not about others (except if it transpires that other players were privy to and supported the actions taken by Beale).

Think you'll probably just remain annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.