• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Alan Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So this week Alan Jones has decided to mouth off at the ARU, the Puliveriser in particular and through his support behind the embattled KB (Kurtley Beale). But for him to take a swing at John Eales and label him 'an over-rated player and over-rated administrator'. I cannot comment on his ability as an administrator because I haven't seen him in action first-hand; what I can say as a player he was one of the greats of his time and a damm good leader. Much as I hate taking the Jonesbait, this little rant is starting to border on offensive.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/a...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'll not give the article the time of day, because anyone who says that Eales was an overrated player clearly knows nothing about rugby.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My views on Jones would more than likely get me banned if I actually expressed them. Suffice it to say he's made a career as a professional troll and hate-monger, so it comes as no surprise to see him reverting to type here.

I am sympathetic towards your restraint - I sense that you aren't Robinson Cursuoe here. Still, with all his bluster at anything that doesn't agree with his view, he can also be a fallible human. Here's something to remind you of that..

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I came into this thread thinking it might be the new runaway thread racing off to 50 pages, but then I remembered I've never met anyone who had a nice thing to say about Jones, so the controversy probably won't be there.

Also was the guy talking mess about Eales in a match thread a while back actually Alan Jones in disguise? :eek:

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
To think this guy applied fort the Wallabies job after Knuckles.

What I hate most about Jones is that he's the most over-rated coach in any Australian sport in history. They talk about him as though he was this absolute genius because of one grand slam and a Bledisloe Cup win. They were great wins back then, sure, but in reality he was a flash in the pan.

People always fail to mention he also coached the team into a very disappointing World Cup, and then went on to coach Balmain and South Sydney in League, where neither side could crack the top 10!

And the fucktard thinks he has the right to call Eals over-rated!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My views on Jones would more than likely get me banned if I actually expressed them. Suffice it to say he's made a career as a professional troll and hate-monger, so it comes as no surprise to see him reverting to type here.

yeah I was about to post my real opinion of the guy and thought better of it, shit I nearly did it again

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The best way to circumvent this is to just post what someone else thinks of Alan Jones. Mike Carlton seems like a good option.

Mike Carlton said:
Something to know about Alan Jones - the key thing, really - is that he's not all that bright. Far from it. Despite the artfully constructed public persona, there is no powerhouse intellect there, no vast store of wisdom. He is a crackpot muddle of prejudice and ignorance.

He does not have to dumb down for his audience; he's already there. He has a sure instinct for what his mob wants to hear, delivered in that prissy shriek, raving like a lunatic fleeing a burning building. The man is a pedlar of fear and loathing, preying on the lowest common denominator of gullible, frightened people who believe they are oppressed by evil forces out there that only he, Jones, has the courage to battle on their behalf.

Thanks Mike!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
NOTICE TO ALL SPORTS JOURNALISTS

DO NOT TALK TO, OR QUOTE, ANYONE INVOLVED WITH AUSTRLIAN RUGBY WHOSE SURNAME IS "JONES". Farr-Jones is acceptable.

Isn't it incredibly lazy journalism to ring up The Parrot, or his namesake in Japan, for a provocative tirade when there's a matter of concern being discussed in Australian Rugby? Neither Alan nor Eddie have anything positive to say about the current administration/players/coaches EVER. Things were ALWAYS done better in their days. Considering the manner of The Parrot's departure in 1987 (research what Roger Gould had to say) and Eddie's W/L record (the worst by a Wallaby coach in the modern era?) I fail to see why they're ever given a platform to spout their views.

Enough. Please be advised if any media outlet prints/broadcasts an article involving ether Alan or Eddie Jones I shan't read it. I definitely won't listen to it.

PS. The Parrot's dissing of Gough Whitlam following his demise was unforgiveable. As the old saying goes, "if you haven't got something nice to say about someone (especially the recently-deceased) don't say anything". No one's perfect, at least Gough tried to make Australia a better place.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Peter FitzSimons just tweeted this......

@Peter_fitz
I have a report that Alan Jones is hinting on his show that he is about to be named Wallaby manager for the 1st Cheika tour? Say it aint so!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Here's another approach - Guess who?

This guy is just entering a new cycle with yet another celeb in Cheika.

Here's his modus operandi;
He jumps fully on their bandwagon and supports them unequivocally and with gusto at every opportunity in the public arena.
This he hopes will carry enormous favour with the unwilling recipient, who more often than not becomes aware of the adulation from this guy via a friend or colleague.(because they themselves don't listen to him).
Next he tries to get his claws into them by writing a sycophantic letter (never an email) to further stress his support, this time directly.
Now we're ready for invitations - dinner at his apartment, lunch meetings with him and other buddies or heavy hitting acquaintances of his.
He'll probe and probe until he uncovers an issue you may have or learns of a need he can meet. It could be money, networking, use of a property or other.
If you share your issue or accept the favour then you 'owe' him and he's on the warpath towards 'owning' you.
Next he'll expect some form of reciprocity. You'll appear for him, glowing in your praise and be obliged to continue communication with him incessantly. By association he'll take a piece of any success you have by weaving himself into being behind anything good you do.
Here comes the tipping point. If you don't toe the line, or back off with your comm's and relationship with him, or are seen or heard to be mixing with or around his enemies, then you're out.
The answer is ???
And No, I'm not a victim, this is simply the way he rolls.
Message: Michael, don't take the bait, you don't need this guy.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
So this week Alan Jones has decided to mouth off at the ARU, the Puliveriser in particular and through his support behind the embattled KB (Kurtley Beale). But for him to take a swing at John Eales and label him 'an over-rated player and over-rated administrator'. I cannot comment on his ability as an administrator because I haven't seen him in action first-hand; what I can say as a player he was one of the greats of his time and a damm good leader. Much as I hate taking the Jonesbait, this little rant is starting to border on offensive.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/a...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'm surprised you're surprised. Don't most people just ignore him?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm surprised you're surprised. Don't most people just ignore him?

I just had a look at the Herald article and it seems Jones hasn't forgiven Eales since he gave evidence for John Coates in the defamation case surrounding the no-row affair at the 2004 Olympics.
I disagree with Jones on his "underrated player" claim about Eales. However, Jones does merit Rugby praise for helping to engineer the '84 Grand Slam and the '86 Bledisloe Cup. In NZ. For the first time in 39 years.
Bringing Topo to Warringah and the Wallabies was a master stroke.
Resurrecting Steve Cutler's career gave us a big edge in line outs, scrums, defence and attack.
And as you can tell by my "proudly supporting Manly" icon, I have a good reason to praise him as a premiership-winning club rugby coach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.