• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I was really just being a troll.

That's the type of play where in my view, Phipps could win us the game by making it, but his failure to do so is no real fault of his own. High difficulty tackle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep. It really relies on the player with the ball making a bad decision. There is so much space to make the step even if you're a hooker against a back in that scenario.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Izzy had a great game on Saturday night, was miles better than Dagg. Much more involved in attack.

Barbarian, as a matter of interest, as you are comparing their performances, is there any way of getting (alleged) contract details so we can compare their incomes?! Someone "out there" must have an idea.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Izzy had a great game on Saturday night, was miles better than Dagg. Much more involved in attack.

Folau is a real threat and I am worried everytime he touches the ball. But it isn't hard to be better than Dagg on attack these days. And Folau better be good on attack, because his kicking game is rubbish.

The ABs best 15 by a country mile is Ben Smith.

Hopefully Piutau will take the right wing spot, meaning Hansen drops Dagg and Ben Smith takes the 15 jersey.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is that sandbagging?
He offers no real threat because the closer he gets to the defensive line the more he runs across field and when he does penetrate he puts in a grubber kick.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Folau offers 'no real threat'?? Think you need to watch the game again IS. Folau played a pivotal role in a couple of our tries, in particular AACs.

And he only put in one grubber kick, when he was hemmed in on the sideline with no real options. It wasn't ideal but it was probably the right option.

I thought he was good on Saturday, and we take for granted the things he can do. Always makes ground in contact, and beats the first defender more often than not.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Our feed of the game up here finished very quickly-was curious to know if Richie and the boys gave AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a bottle of plonk for his 100th game

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Folau is a real threat and I am worried everytime he touches the ball. But it isn't hard to be better than Dagg on attack these days. And Folau better be good on attack, because his kicking game is rubbish.

The ABs best 15 by a country mile is Ben Smith.

Hopefully Piutau will take the right wing spot, meaning Hansen drops Dagg and Ben Smith takes the 15 jersey.

Keep that (broken) record going Frank. Bet you were seething to see the name I. Dagg on that EOYT squad list.

Just wondering if you've sent that angry email to Hansen and Fox for not seeing what you think has been clear as daylight for ages. It must be some kind of conspiracy surely that he keeps getting selected in big test matches.

On Folau, he was okay, but I thought some of his insertion into the attacking line was well handled by Conrad and became predictable. Conrad nailed him in a couple of textbook front on tackles.

Also on Folau, I'd love to know what planet the poster that said he had already surpassed Latham as a fullback. That is laughable. Latham was a unique player. Had the combination of big boot, quickness, a good dose of psycho/fire and was an integral part to a successful Wallaby outfit. In my view Folau has a fair way to go to reach Latho

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we lost it on the lack of impact from the bench. Those blokes being thrust into a helter skelter paced game in which they were unable to keep up.
The ABs maintained the pace and exerted their collective determined will in the end.

Very impressed with Lealifano. I just didn't think he had it in him. He had a huge influence in attack and defense. Ditto for Fainga'a.

Folau was good again. He is so heavily marked by all sides now but still makes yards and creates space. I reckon he will tear it up in Europe.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just rewatched the game. I thought we played great.

Where did Lilo come from? He was phenomenal, best IC performance of the year by a comfortable margin. TK and Slipper huge as always, while Phipps and Higgers had their best ever Wallaby games.

The wheels really started to fall off in the last 10 though, and it all comes back to physicality. The AB forwards really got on top of us, and once again our bench had a worrying lack of impact.

The problem with White's box kick was shown in the phases before. We had good clean ball in the middle of the field, but over the next few phases marched towards the sideline with a couple of very static hit-ups. Then White kicked from an impossible position.

We needed to be hitting the ball at pace and looking to break the advantage line. There is no substitute for forward momentum- a key example of this was in the Super Rugby final in the dying minutes. The Tahs were looking to play out the clock, and with thirty seconds left Skelton took the ball flat-footed but still broke two tackles and carried the ball 5m past the A-line. A key play that secured the game.

We needed just one hit-up like that, but it never came.

I have posted a couple of times that Christian was showing good signs of improvement in the last couple of NRC games he played, though mainly at 10 rather than 12. It was fairly clear that he was working into form after his horrendous injury. It wasn't such a surprise really.

The lack of physicality after the bench forwards came on is a worry, and it definitely had an effect on the outcome. We probably won't see it for the EOYT and therefore not for the RWC either, but we really need to replace the two Ben(n)s, and add some more physical players into the forwards mix on the bench. Names like Sio (when fit), PAE, Neville, Jones should be given a proper go. I am ambivalent atm about Skelton. He doesn't seem to have had the presence late in the season that he had earlier. At his best, a great option, but looks to have been below his bbest for some time.

Longer term, Holloway, Timani (L), Cottrill all show the kind of physicality missing from our present bench sitters. IMO the two fetchers policy again didn't amount to a success. Should be put to bed once and for all time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Folau offers 'no real threat'?? Think you need to watch the game again IS. Folau played a pivotal role in a couple of our tries, in particular AACs.

And he only put in one grubber kick, when he was hemmed in on the sideline with no real options. It wasn't ideal but it was probably the right option.

I thought he was good on Saturday, and we take for granted the things he can do. Always makes ground in contact, and beats the first defender more often than not.

I like Izzy and this not a particular criticism of him, but imo there is no really good time for any Wallaby to put in a grubber, because they have demonstrated time after time they don't have the skills, just like box kicks. Both should be taken completely out of the Wallabies game plans.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have posted a couple of times that Christian was showing good signs of improvement in the last couple of NRC games he played, though mainly at 10 rather than 12. It was fairly clear that he was working into form after his horrendous injury. It wasn't such a surprise really.

It's one thing to be 'showing signs of improvement' in the NRC, but another thing entirely to be almost MoTM in a Bledisloe.

Also considering he has never set the world on fire for the Wallabies, I wouldn't have expected it even if he was shredding the NRC to pieces.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Keep that (broken) record going Frank. Bet you were seething to see the name I. Dagg on that EOYT squad list.

Just wondering if you've sent that angry email to Hansen and Fox for not seeing what you think has been clear as daylight for ages. It must be some kind of conspiracy surely that he keeps getting selected in big test matches.

I think the only reason Dagg has been ahead of Ben Smith is because a Dagg/Smith/Savea combo was seen as better than a Smith/Savea/Jane combo.

If Piutau lives up to his potential, Dagg is goneski.

Nothing against the guy, and I realize you are a Saders supporter, so you might be taking it a little personally.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the only reason Dagg has been ahead of Ben Smith is because a Dagg/Smith/Savea combo was seen as better than a Smith/Savea/Jane combo.

If Piutau lives up to his potential, Dagg is goneski.

Nothing against the guy, and I realize you are a Saders supporter, so you might be taking it a little personally.

It's got nothing to do with him being a Sader, I've been a fan of Dagg since he first started running around for HB and then after his first season with the Landers was calling for him to be in the ABs. So it's not "personal" at all.

On the other hand, over on the Fern and here you keep saying Dagg should be dropped for this and that, but he keeps getting selected. So really none of your so called reasons have stacked up.

I'm a huge fan of Smith and if you look back on the fern I was one of the first to be calling him for higher honours and even had the shining armour on against some vocal critics. And as was shown last year and this year, his combination with Dagg has helped the ABs when we've been on the back foot. I also think late in the game with Barrett coming on as fullback to provide impact against tiring opposition has been good. But he is a better 1st 5 and I like that he's been given an opportunity there.

Dagg has been fine and I just think people want to see the "big run" all the time and don't appreciate the other work. Like when many were questioning Mils around 06-07, have questioned Rangi, questioned Osbourne, and then even when Cullen lost a yard.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
It's got nothing to do with him being a Sader, I've been a fan of Dagg since he first started running around for HB and then after his first season with the Landers was calling for him to be in the ABs. So it's not "personal" at all.

On the other hand, over on the Fern and here you keep saying Dagg should be dropped for this and that, but he keeps getting selected. So really none of your so called reasons have stacked up.

I'm a huge fan of Smith and if you look back on the fern I was one of the first to be calling him for higher honours and even had the shining armour on against some vocal critics. And as was shown last year and this year, his combination with Dagg has helped the ABs when we've been on the back foot. I also think late in the game with Barrett coming on as fullback to provide impact against tiring opposition has been good. But he is a better 1st 5 and I like that he's been given an opportunity there.

Dagg has been fine and I just think people want to see the "big run" all the time and don't appreciate the other work. Like when many were questioning Mils around 06-07, have questioned Rangi, questioned Osbourne, and then even when Cullen lost a yard.

I think Ben Smith has been and will be a much better fullback than Dagg.
Who would you choose assuming there are two really good wing options available? Dagg or Smith?

Dagg is solid. (great kicking and positioing, safe under the high ball, but relatively poor attacking ability)

I think the only reason he hasn't been dropped is the lack of a great right wing option. (Jane isn't what he used ot be and Piutau has only just started coming back), so they play Ben Smith there.

K

KAOPointman

Dagg poor attacking ability? Gee what happened? He carved it up at the last RWC.
How many years ago was that now?......... Lol dags form has been lacking for as long as crudens form has. They are only in because the coach likes the combos, and as happened last week, to rest players.
Smith is faaaar better then dag!
Barrett is faaaar better the cruden!

Status
Not open for further replies.