• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

USA v All Blacks Test - Chicago November 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I hope they manage to get excellent media coverage for this game and it really peaks the American publics interest.

The Haka should blow a few minds. But if the AB's run out a full strength side (which the definitely should) and do the eagles by 100, you would have to wonder if that will be good for the popularity of the game in the US.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The AB's AIG sponsorship is the reason this game is going ahead. That and the fact that they'll make a mint.

It would be great if the Wallabies played teams on the way to Europe. Japan are in the top 10 teams in the world, Canada and USA would love to play us too. Short sighted from the ARU in my view.
Do we still do a 4th Bled? If so, cancel that fixture and mix it up as Jets suggests.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope they manage to get excellent media coverage for this game and it really peaks the American publics interest.

The Haka should blow a few minds. But if the AB's run out a full strength side (which the definitely should) and do the eagles by 100, you would have to wonder if that will be good for the popularity of the game in the US.

I suspect we'll do the same as for the Japan match last year: the core AB squad will go straight to UK, 10 or so 1st-choices plus 15-odd 2nd-stringers to US for that match then 2nd-stringers come home, 1st-choices join up with main squad. Still be a strong side, though, but you're right in that AB 100-5 score does no one any good.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
This is tricky though - as AIG I don't think will stand for anything other than the best XV on the pitch. I certainly wouldn't if I was them. I imagine we'll see 40 minutes from the core guys and then a whole plethora of changes which pretty much so ruins the match as a spectacle as it becomes massively disjointed.

It'll be second string for the Samoa match, for sure.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think they'll want Carter and McCaw to play. Other than that you could pick a second string NZ team and argue that it was a top side, such is their depth.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/33513.php#.VERTCouUeJU

Premiership Rugby confirms that it has reached agreement with USA Rugby for the release of selected players for the US Eagles match.

Nigel Melville, CEO at USA Rugby said: 'This is a significant milestone in the development of the game in the USA. It is unfortunate that such an historic game could not be played under the Regulation 9 release window.

"We will be playing the world champions, New Zealand in an iconic football stadium, in front of a record 60,000 capacity crowd with a live broadcast via NBC with a reach of over 115m homes in the USA.

"It is a huge opportunity for our players, coaches and fans to participate in this game and we appreciate the support of Premiership Rugby regarding player release for the game.

"The other three matches in November provide opportunities for some of our younger players to play for the Eagles and to stake their claim for a place in the 2015 Rugby World Cup."

Premiership Rugby Chief Executive Mark McCafferty added: "We have a very good relationship with USA Rugby and we have responded to their request to ensure all their best players are available to play against New Zealand, on what will be an historic occasion.

"As we help grow the sport in the USA, it is essential to support a match of this quality which has clearly captured the interest of the American supporters."

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Squad selected. Those that didn't feature in the RC/Bledisloe series in red.

The All Blacks squad assembles in Auckland this Sunday for the flight to Chicago.

Forwards
Hookers
Dane Coles (Wellington, 24 Tests)
Nathan Harris (Bay of Plenty, 1)
Keven Mealamu (Auckland, 120)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury, 33)
Charlie Faumuina (Auckland, 22)
Ben Franks (Hawke's Bay, 37)
Owen Franks (Canterbury, 63)
Joe Moody (Canterbury, 5)

Locks
Brodie Retallick (Bay of Plenty, 33)
Luke Romano (Canterbury, 16)
Jeremy Thrush (Wellington, 4)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland, 5)
Samuel Whitelock (Canterbury, 60)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty, 21)
Jerome Kaino (Auckland, 54)
Richie McCaw - captain (Canterbury, 134)
Liam Messam (Waikato, 35)
Kieran Read (Canterbury, 69)
Victor Vito (Wellington, 24)

Backs
Halfbacks
TJ Perenara (Wellington, 7)
Augustine Pulu (Counties Manukau *)
Aaron Smith (Manawatu, 36)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki, 25)
Daniel Carter (Canterbury, 100)
Aaron Cruden (Manawatu, 35)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Canterbury, 9)
Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland, 6)
Conrad Smith (Wellington, 83)
Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau, 19)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay, 43)
Cory Jane (Wellington 52)
Charles Piutau (Auckland, 11)
Julian Savea (Wellington, 28)
Ben Smith (Otago, 35)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
ACT perhaps you should have Dan Carter in red, he didn't play RC/Bledisloe.
Good squad, feel for Slade, but agree with Shags reasoning! Also a bit pleased for Vito, and a handy reminder to Luatua that he needs to work hard in off season!

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Colin Slade dropped. And no Luatua.

Can't say I agree with that decision with Vito over Luatua. The conspiracy theorist in me says it's to stop him moving overseas. Tough on Slade.
Surprised that Bird didn't get a look. Is he not mongrel enough maybe?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Can't say I agree with that decision with Vito over Luatua. The conspiracy theorist in me says it's to stop him moving overseas. Tough on Slade.

The stuck record inside me keeps asking 'What about Luke Braid?'

Yeah I know..... he had an operation and is probably recovering.....

Sent from my iPhone

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not overly impressedwith Bird so far, not sure why bad, and I quite happy with Vito, gives us a genuine back up 8 I reckon.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
I not overly impressedwith Bird so far, not sure why bad, and I quite happy with Vito, gives us a genuine back up 8 I reckon.

Good point Dan, but I liked the option of Luatua covering lock if needs be. Suppose Vito can do that though.
DC inclusion perhaps because of pressure from AIG for USA game?
Overall think its a pretty good squad to take north.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bad, I think DC inclusion is for puposes of getting him back into rugby and ABs, nothing else. I doubt AIG would have any pressure on who gets selected, and he may not even be playing in the USA test. Like you I think it a good squad to take north.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Why don't you chaps throw a game for the interests of World Rugby? Control the game and end it off in similar fashion to last weeks game. If you cannot find it inside you to lose the game, at least make them appear that they are in touching distance for a while.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Manoa is going to be touching plenty of blokes and that alone should be enough to keep the crowd engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.