• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KAOPointman

On the back of one season with the Reds when they came 5th behind the Tahs, and slightly ahead of the Brumbies?

o_O
And didn't that reds 5th come after a string of 100 or so wooden spoons. Link did an amazing job whipping the reds into a super championship contender.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pretty obvious what the ARU need to do.

Offer Jake White the job for a year under the proviso he manage/sort out the players and the off-field roles, and maybe have the ability to offer input into the Wallabies structures. What would be so bad about Jake White placing more attention on our kicking and setpiece for example?

BUT keep the existing coaching structure with McKay, Scrivener and Blades as is. Make one of them the interim coach if White is not ready.

In a year's time prospective candidates like Jake can reapply for the job, depending on his success.

People get so caught up in playing creative, running rugby that they forgot the best team in the world is a balanced unit. 2007-2009 the All Blacks tactical kicking game was lacking. But it is the strength of their game. And I also don't see it effecting their attacking stats and try scoring ability.

Give me smart, clinical, balanced (and winning) rugby any day. We only play ball in hand and look for tries because that is the way to win games.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aye. It's sad really but the ARU haven't got the sort of money to support players outside the top 3-4 in their position.

Yep, we lose good players because the the current coach doesn't rate them, Douglas is a prime example.

Douglas (and Carter) who does the heavy lifting while playing long minutes go unappreciated in Aus rugby. (hint, they don't all have to be ball runners, someone is needed to cleanout and push as well)

Cheika rated him highly, Link didn't, so he is gone.

Prediction, just watch him flourish at Leinster.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Link is not seriously blamed for Douglas leaving is he? His hands were tied about the number of guys that can recieve top ups. A few months earlier Mowen couldn't even get a top up after having been made captain. Cheika should have kept his mouth shut or expressed his disappointment in the right direction, to a rubbish contracting system.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A classic:
"There is not much purpose us jumping up and down adding to the crisis saying, 'The sky has fallen in', because everybody else knows that it has. That's not going to solve the problem," RUPA chief executive Greg Harris said on Tuesday.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, we lose good players because the the current coach doesn't rate them, Douglas is a prime example.

Douglas (and Carter) who does the heavy lifting while playing long minutes go unappreciated in Aus rugby. (hint, they don't all have to be ball runners, someone is needed to cleanout and push as well)

Thought Carter had a shocking defensive game on Saturday. Main cause of the first two kiwi tries - just didn't look like he was making enough effort to get into position quickly.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
For FUCKS sake. There are only 25 contracts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We didn't lose anyone because they didn't get one of the contracts. They already had hefty super rugby games and get well paid to play for the wallabies if they are selected. Plus they have all expenses paid in 5 star accommodation.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It seems to me that 25 is not enough.
If I am on say $200k with the Tahs,and play 6 Tests,then yeah I am being paid handsomely.

However when Toulon rings up and offers me a guaranteed $700k,that can be tax sheltered in such a way that it's the same as $900k in Oz.I am leaving.

And I am leaving for the money, the top up will stop some,but not all from going to Europe.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW, the revenue is shrinking, so the accountants would argue 25 is too many.

Anyway nobody who's only taking home $200k has the profile to command $700k in Toulon.

It's on record that Douglas offer was comparable if he was selected all tests. What's the match payments? Around $10k? Sounds like it would have been around $150k different had he not played a single test.

Hardly money to sneeze at so I can't blame him.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
If Andrew Blades gets shafted in this mess Australia will have lost the two best forwards coaches we have in the space of 6 months.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
You are drawing a very long bow to suggest from my post that the whole affair is more to do with Beale's days at the Rebels. I never said that, nor insinuated it. My observation was that he should have been properly dealt with at that time and we wouldn't have had any of this latest drama.

You didn't exactly make that clear, but I still disagree. Are you suggesting that he should have just been straight banned from the game, or that if Rebels had been better with their discipline then Beale's fundamental character would have been altered? Now that's a long bow.

I simply can't agree with your contention that the bigger problem is how the fall-out was managed. Poor management, if that proves to be the case and that's certainly not a given if the two people involved agreed to keep the matter to themselves in the first instance, is not even near the category of sexual harassment and bullying. Those are the issues that must remain in focus first and foremost and must be appropriately resolved.

It's poor management if one of the event blows up after supposedly being settled to the point that it ends up costing the coach and said staff member their jobs.

As for issues in League - I just don't give a shit. It is an inferior game and doesn't hold the slightest bit of interest to me.

You can bury your head in the sand all you like mate, but they're killing us out there at the moment. The NRL had the brains to look at what the AFL were doing and how it made them so successful in spite of a shared animosity, so perhaps our boys at HQ and those that think like them - you included it would seem - need to remove their heads from their asses and admit the competition are managing things better than we are.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
KAOPointman said:
And didn't that reds 5th come after a string of 100 or so wooden spoons. Link did an amazing job whipping the reds into a super championship contender.

That ignores the achievements of Phil Mooney who put in a lot of changes at the Reds including bringing through a crop of young talented players and giving them Super Rugby experience. This is a real issue here, we look to the genius coach who will bring his own unique talent and vision to manufacture success from nothing. Jones and McQueen would possibly not have been as successful if they had had to deal with the issues faced by Dwyer and Smith.

We need to have a single system and philosophy that will deliver continuity across eras. Everyone keeps crapping on about Beale and player standards in Australia and that we need to emulate the All Blacks. [Mindless rule breaking insult deleted]. Think Guildford, Dagg, Cruden ..... The All Blacks culture that swiftly pulls players back into alignment is a product of a whole rugby system, it does not exist in some magical isolation.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
No changes to the rubber stamp brigade? Pulver has torn through the budget with a fucking chainsaw.

Yes he has TWAS but not many businesses downsize to greatness.
What's missing is leadership to govern all stakeholders and critical revenue generating ideas.
Very soon, if the increased TV right's deal he forecasted/ sort of promised doesn't eventuate, it will be a case of 'take a ticket at the deli counter' to go after him.
His "trust me, there will be increased funding from TV rights" plea was all that stood between him and a revolt by super provinces only months ago.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Douglas had a handful of forgettable Test matches before last year. He certainly did not play well enough to cement his place in the squad. You can't blame link for that.

Then it was simply poor timing, Douglas already signed oversea's, then had a standout super rugby year. If he hadn't already signed oversea's there is no saying he wouldn't have been one of the first choice locks. Given the performance of our current locks he certainly would have gotten at least one start.

So IMO, it Douglas' fault for signing oversea's too early. Players need to back themselves for the wallabies role before hey head off. Kimlin is probably another example.

T

Train Without a Station

That ignores the achievements of Phil Mooney who put in a lot of changes at the Reds including bringing through a crop of young talented players and giving them Super Rugby experience.

Yes but those changes left them 13th the year before. It's not like they were promising and just needed a few tweaks. They finished 2nd last. I don't they finished above 10 for the 5 years prior in fact.

Barnes was the most promising player there and his departure was the catalyst for change.

Mooney did good things. But so did Damien Hill. Look at the Rebels this year. How do you think what Hill did ended up going without a quality coach to harness it and improve it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I hope Chek agrees and executes a 3 year deal
Positives for me:
1. He is his own man, a no nonsense sort of bloke;
2. I don't believe in Tahs conspiracy theories that abound;
3. He plays an exciting brand of rugby - as proved by the Tahs this year;
4. He has the respect of his players.

His ONLY possible negative for me would be IF his acceptance of the coaching position is dependant on retaining KB (Kurtley Beale). KB (Kurtley Beale) will fuck up again (sometime) particularly if he knows that he has Cheks support.

I think that the "investigation" run its course and whatever the result is the result. Keep him, lose him, whatever. - then move on

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
So cheks is the coach. Hard bastard, good with media, proven history with attractive, winning rugby. Also chose his assistants wisely and quickly (even if bernie didn't accept) which shows purpose and intent. Given the circumstances, we're onto a pretty good thing.

What'll be a really bad thing however, is if the new coach impacts on the Beale tribunal. That'll instantly start his campaign on the wrong foot for everybody living outside of NSW, and everyone offended by Beale (aka women).

Basically, if we are to win the RWC (miracles have happened) then the entire country will have to be united. Underlying provincial bias is fine but a rift is not. Here is a good opportunity to unify the country and rebuild Australian rugby, PLEASE don't fuck it up by backing your dickhead mate.

and if he backs beale. well, atleast its not Jake White

Just FYI Quade can do everything Beale does, but better. call that some underlying provincial bias ey ;)

Your post makes 100% sense if Beale is guilty of everything rumoured.
But, that's why there is a process called an independent enquiry.
Keep your powder dry until a verdict is delivered and if warranted, give it both barrels then.
Maybe a dingo grabbed Beale's phone and sent 'that text'.

Status
Not open for further replies.