• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Personally, this is the team I'd like to see selected:

1. Ben Alexander
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Luke Jones
5. Will Skelton
6. Sean McMahon
7. Matt Hodgson (c)
8. Scott Higgenbotham
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Henry Speight
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Joe Tomane / Tom English
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. James Slipper
17. Josh Mann-Rea
18. Benn Robinson
19. James Horwill
20. Ben McCalman
21. Will Genia
22. Quade Cooper
23. Kyle Godwin

-------

My rationale:

A Barbarians test, at the end of the day, means very little. All the time on this website we scream and we cry "Don't you dare blood uncapped players against the Pumas / All Blacks / Boks, its the Rugby Championship, we can't risk losing! Wait till the Spring tour comes around, the players will get their chance then". But lo and behold, come Spring, we scream the exact same thing, but replace "Pumas / All Blacks / Boks" with "Ireland / England / France" because how dare we underestimate our Northern Hemisphere counterparts.

What we saw from Cheika in 2013 is a willingness to lose games, as long as we commit to playing the way we want to play and with players both want to play that way, and have the capacity to successfully do so. This is the reason I think Cheika will throw caution to the wayside, and make some contentious picks this tour, and especially within this opening match.

Cheika is renowned not for just picking players that have a dominant physical presence (although he is fond of doing so), but for picking players that have a competitive attitude and a real desire to win or die trying. Much of his focus in the 2013/2014 preseasons was centred upon implanting a winning mindset into the Waratahs squad (with some of the most bizarre coaching techniques I've ever heard of), and pruning members of the squad that couldn't adopt such a headspace.

As such, I think Luke Jones (in the 2nd row) and Sean McMahon (at 6) will get some serious game time this tour. They both have a wonderful youthful and defiant aggression in them and they are two players I think Cheika could particularly turn to in order to get our backs some quick front foot ball.

It probably goes without saying that Skelton will feature heavily in Cheikas plans as his size and power really accommodates the power game that he likes to play, and he is already a big favourite of his.

Higgers to call the line outs. The Barbarians don't even know each other for fucksake and half of them will be speaking Afrikaans anyway. My granny could call the line outs for us and we'd still win them.

As for the rest of my selections in the starting pack, I think Hooper desperately needs a rest, as does Slipper (from a starting position), as both have been fantastic this season and have played copious amounts of rugby. Hodgson to captain because, well, he's a fantastic captain and I'd regularly have him there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for Hooper tearing the house down.

In the back line, Phipps and Foley to stay as the halves because whilst I'd like to make the most of this Barbarian test experiment with combinations, its still a game that I want to see us win. Too many changes could see a team of strangers run out there, and we could have another Scotland / Samoa debacle.

Speight to make his debut. Long over due. Nothing to be said about that. Centres to remain the same (despite Lealifanos great performance on Saturday) and Izzy to be rested as we give other players a bit of time at the back, or risk a total meltdown come RWC 2015 if Izzy gets injured (can Lealifano play 15?).

Benn Robbo to come on around the 50 minute mark, and Slipper to be utilised only if we need him (I'd like to see him rested as much as possible as he's absolutely crucial for the team moving forward). If we are absolutely trouncing them, throw Mann-Rea on with 20 to go, but I'd be prepared to leave him on the sideline as, quite frankly, he's on there because the ten or so blokes in front of him have fallen over.

Likewise, Horwill and McCalman on only when we need them. If the games in danger, throw them on, but if not, get as much game time out of the inexperienced players as possible.

Genia / Cooper on at around the 50 minute mark as well, but put them on separately, about 5-10 minutes apart, as to not completely interrupt the flow of the game. They've both been out for a while, and are extraordinary at their best, so I'd like to see them get some time, but I think baby steps are needed. Cooper coming on also allows us to shift Bernie to fullback, which could be useful in prepping him to play there later in the tour, or next year, if need be.

Kyle Godwin to receive his first cap for To'omua around the same time.

Should be a rip snorter of a game.

This is the dawn of a new era.

I'm excited. You should be. If you're not, you probably go for Queensland so your opinion is worth peanuts anyway.

How good.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There's no fucking way I'd be playing Kepu in a Barbarians match. He's arguably the most important player on tour and needs a rest the most. Also tore his pec on that awful pitch against the Barbarians at Wembley 2008.

Fuck him off then. Who else have we got?

Pek Cowan?

Get him on.

On ya Pek.

T

Train Without a Station

I struggle to understand how Skelton is a favourite of Cheika's.

He chose to promote Hoiles to the starting team to replace Dennis rather than the prospect of moving Potgeiter to 6 and starting Skelton.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He chose to promote Hoiles to the starting team to replace Dennis rather than the prospect of moving Potgeiter to 6 and starting Skelton.

Because the team is better with Skelton coming off the bench rather than being absent for the last 20. I wouldn't say he's a favourite but he certainly appreciates what Skelton offers more than other coaches might. Cheika's #1 is physicality and doesn't see the important of set-piece as much as others.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Google "Michael Cheika Will Skelton".

Sit in awe as countless articles of him defending him in the press emerge before you.

Read these articles.

No longer struggle to understand.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
With so little time with Cheika before their first game I think I'd go with this:-

1. Benn Robinson
2. Fainga'a
3. Alexander
4. Simo
5. Will Skelton
6. McCalman
7. Hooper
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. White
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Lilo
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Hansen
17. Slipper
18. TF
19. Horwill
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Joe Tomane

provided you're winning the game comfortably, bring on Hodgson, Genia, Cooper and Hansen at half time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would definitely be starting Cooper against the Barbarians to see where he is at. Other then that I don't mind.

Maybe Genia, Speight off the bench - think it might be too soon with his injury, Luke Jones would be good too.

Slipper and Kepu deserve rests.

Hooper needs experience as Captain, but he could do with a rest so its a 50/50.

Same with Falou at Fullback - he needs more experience as he doesn't look like a 100% union player yet - despite how good he is.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I struggle to see how any player from the Tahs is a "favourite". They were only favourites because he didn't have the option of playing some-one who wasn't from the Tahs.

All this stuff about KB (Kurtley Beale), Douglas, Skelton, are all his preferred options is bull. For all we know he is still going to pick Simmons and Carter.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised with his selections, and his non-bias.

If their is NSW bias I would be surprised given the level of professionalism which is expected.

T

Train Without a Station

Google "Michael Cheika Will Skelton".

Sit in awe as countless articles of him defending him in the press emerge before you.

Read these articles.

No longer struggle to understand.

Have you ever heard the phrase "actions speak louder than words"?

The press is full of empty quotes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd definitely be running out some blokes who are short of a gallop and resting some blokes who aren't. That means at least half a game for Genia, Hodgo, Skelton and Cooper, as well throwing guys like Godwin in to see what they've got at the next level up. I really want to see Jones and McMahon in there too.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Have you ever heard the phrase "actions speak louder than words"?

The press is full of empty quotes.

Yes of course I've heard that phrase you nincompoop. You are a very curious fellow TWAS.

I think the promotion of Hoiles was more to do with line out calling, as once promoted, that was his role, as it was Dennis' before him.

I think people have got me wrong here. I'm not saying that Cheika will selected Skelton because all his judgments will be NSW-biased. What I'm saying is that Skelton fits Cheika's preference to play a power game. As such, he might more game time than he would have under other coaches.

To me, it's obvious Cheika rates Skelton as an emerging talent. The guy was barely playing 1st grade when Cheika plucked him from the Shute Sheild. Its blatantly obvious he likes him, and the reason for this must be because he has the capability to play the type of footy Cheika wants to play.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
With so little time with Cheika before their first game I think I'd go with this:-

1. Benn Robinson
2. Fainga'a
3. Alexander
4. Simo
5. Will Skelton
6. McCalman
7. Hooper
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. White
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Lilo
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Hansen
17. Slipper
18. TF
19. Horwill
20. Hodges
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Joe Tomane

provided you're winning the game comfortably, bring on Hodges

Fuck yeah. If we lose a few wickets early In the innings he can come in and steady the ship.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Yes of course I've heard that phrase you nincompoop. You are a very curious fellow TWAS.

I think the promotion of Hoiles was more to do with line out calling, as once promoted, that was his role, as it was Dennis' before him.

I think people have got me wrong here. I'm not saying that Cheika will selected Skelton because all his judgments will be NSW-biased. What I'm saying is that Skelton fits Cheika's preference to play a power game. As such, he might more game time than he would have under other coaches.

To me, it's obvious Cheika rates Skelton as an emerging talent. The guy was barely playing 1st grade when Cheika plucked him from the Shute Sheild. Its blatantly obvious he likes him, and the reason for this must be because he has the capability to play the type of footy Cheika wants to play.
Not that I disagree with your reasoning, but there is also the distinct possibility Cheika isn't going to try and play Cheik-ball in the test arena and as such his preferred players many change.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Robinson
FTS
Alexander
Carter
Horwill
Jones
Hodgson
Higginbotham
Genia
Cooper
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Lilo
Kuridrani
Speight
Folau

Hanson
Slipper
Faulkner
Skelton
McCalman
Phipps
Godwin
Tomane

T

Train Without a Station

Michael, if Cheika comes in and just tries to play Cheika-ball (didn't know he invented running rugby - but anyway), people will be longing for the good old days of McKenzie before they Wallabies even get on their flight back to Australia.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cheika understands Skelton, his skill set and his current limits implicitly. I think he was quoted as stating that Will was not ready for test footy just before he was first selected. That was a while ago now and I would guess that there are big plans for him as far as the RWC goes.
Also, these tests on heavier pitches and played a little slower up north may suit him down to the ground (for as long as he is effective).

A Baa Baas game..............tailor made.

Status
Not open for further replies.