• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Yep starting with 40 (or less if there isn't 40 players) & culling to 25 in New Year. This gives coaches more time to assess but will also develop up to 40 players per zone. It doesn't matter if they are the best 40 players or not. If these players & their families are keen to make the time & financial commitment then this is a great opportunity for them which they deserve to benefit from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack S

Frank Row (1)
North Harbour under 15's look like they will be a strong team and is there any info on when the selections are coming out for the boys who went to the 2nd trials for the Sydney teams?@
Thanks

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
North Harbour under 15's look like they will be a strong team and is there any info on when the selections are coming out for the boys who went to the 2nd trials for the Sydney teams?@
Thanks
The communication on sunday was that the plan was to email all boys who did or didn't make the squads by Friday this week. Then each boy would then receive a letter confirming the offer and outlining the expectations of the program or for those that missed out what the selectors were looking for and things they can focus on with links to drill etc..

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The communication on sunday was that the plan was to email all boys who did or didn't make the squads by Friday this week. Then each boy would then receive a letter confirming the offer and outlining the expectations of the program or for those that missed out what the selectors were looking for and things they can focus on with links to drill etc..

Sydney Northwest U17 JGC successful players have begun being notified this afternoon.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Good luck to all those young men who get in, work extremely hard over the next 7 week, do some work outside the squad and make the final 25. For those young men that miss out, don't give up, do your own work and come back next year a better, fitter player and prove them wrong.
Congrats to Luke and his team for getting the teams out on time, keep the communication coming.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Western NSW ran their trial on Sunday. I helped out with the 17s and saw a lot of good Rugby players there. However, there were only 52 players registered to trial in the 17s by my count. There were certainly a lot more in the 15s, though.

Is anyone aware whether trial numbers are up or down on last year across the state? Also, can anyone point me to any doco on why the competition is now under the state banners?

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)

No one has said it so I'll be the first to say it - there are an awful lot of names on that list. Around 325 to be exact, about 160 in each group. Makes me wonder if any kid that paid his $10 and turned up on the day got in.

On the up side, there are 40 boys in each age group in each region having the opportunity to be developed for a few weeks (until the final cut down to 25 occurs). This is a good thing for junior rugby union in Sydney.

But the ARU could still do more - my son has a friend doing the Harold Matts program and the 'extras' with that are unbelievable. In addition to a similar format as the JGC (training before Xmas, trial games, training after Xmas, more trial games then into the actual competition in Feb) they are having seminars on: drugs in sport, social media (perhaps Paul Gallen and KB (Kurtley Beale) could attend that talk), good nutrition etc. And session at the gym on appropriate gym techniques for these young boys.
And it's all free - the whole program.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
No one has said it so I'll be the first to say it - there are an awful lot of names on that list. Around 325 to be exact, about 160 in each group. Makes me wonder if any kid that paid his $10 and turned up on the day got in.

On the up side, there are 40 boys in each age group in each region having the opportunity to be developed for a few weeks (until the final cut down to 25 occurs). This is a good thing for junior rugby union in Sydney.

But the ARU could still do more - my son has a friend doing the Harold Matts program and the 'extras' with that are unbelievable. In addition to a similar format as the JGC (training before Xmas, trial games, training after Xmas, more trial games then into the actual competition in Feb) they are having seminars on: drugs in sport, social media (perhaps Paul Gallen and KB (Kurtley Beale) could attend that talk), good nutrition etc. And session at the gym on appropriate gym techniques for these young boys.
And it's all free - the whole program.
All that used to happen under the old Junior Gold Program. They all had to attend a mandatory drugs in sport, media and nutrition presentation last year, non attendance was a reason to be kicked out of the program. i'd surprised if it wasn't happening again. As for the gym work I would guess that would come down to all the training venues having a gym if they don't I would expect that everyone would miss out.

RedBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
The pools seem to be the same as last year, thinking this means Pool A will be an especially challenging one for the 15's

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
As much as I and my son love rugby, I'm really ambivalent about this JGC program (15s). Having played in a no of successful SJC campaigns, and an extended rep program with higher honours this year, he's a bit over rugby, esp training sessions, and keen on an off season playing summer sport with his mates. But it seems that pretty much every lad involved in the 2014 rep program is participating. I can see a scenario developing where, if he participates, he is completely over it by March/April and will want to give up club, rep etc and do only what is required at school level. Any views from those that have walked this road previously much appreciated.

RedBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
My older son is U16's now but has been involved in about every program there is and he has only just mentioned to me for the first me that was glad there was finally a break, then the JGC trials came around and I think the only reason he is still doing it is because of the great bunch of boys in his teams.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks BSF and RB. Agree best to let them do what they want (is it ever possible to get them to do otherwise?!). I just hope for his sake there are no recriminations in future selections, what with the ARU wanting JGC to be the one true pathway.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks BSF and RB. Agree best to let them do what they want (is it ever possible to get them to do otherwise?!). I just hope for his sake there are no recriminations in future selections, what with the ARU wanting JGC to be the one true pathway.

Let them do whatever they want, if the JGC ends up being a true alternate pathway to schools that would be great, if boys want to sit out that's fine, someone else gets on opportunity to improve their skills and find out what it is like to play at a higher level which can only be good for junior rugby and rugby in general

Status
Not open for further replies.