• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Im pretty sure that's not correct. The IRB has issued a directive stating the oppo must line up at the 10m line and are not allowed to advance or ignore the Haka.

Pretty certain that's incorrect. The IRB directive is that neither team can cross the 10m and that's pretty much it.

Personally, I don't care what the opposition does and I love it when they 'accept' the challenge a la Wales a few years back.

BTW, all the Aussie stuff I've been to, the Indigenous people have always been referred to as the 'custodians' of the land....not the owners.

Sent from my iPhone

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Pretty certain that's incorrect. The IRB directive is that neither team can cross the 10m and that's pretty much it.

Personally, I don't care what the opposition does and I love it when they 'accept' the challenge a la Wales a few years back.

BTW, all the Aussie stuff I've been to, the Indigenous people have always been referred to as the 'custodians' of the land..not the owners.

Sent from my iPhone

"The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) paid the fine, after it was revealed by a Sydney newspaper that there was a clause in the IRB tournament rules that dictated that teams must face the haka, and remain 10 metres on their own side of the halfway line"

http://www.allblacks.com/News/14266/irb-confirms-haka-will-not-be-challenged

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ahhhh, got it... Now there is a Anger issued Wallabies coach, may be they could use a bit of Cheika action and threaten them with Gold Drivers. Sure would scare me :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd like to see some teams stand there like they're going to face it, and then pull The Running Man out of the bag.

See which of the ABs holds a straight face - that's the bloke to target.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like the Haka I like the All Blacks doing a Haka what shits me is the amount of Hakas done very poorly more often than not & every Kiwi telling us to respect it.

When a lot of Kiwi people don't tend to respect other countries traditions.

I think as a nation the Maori elders should get together & maybe draw a line in the sand on who can & can't do a Haka before a sporting event.

The All Blacks - Yes
The Tall Blacks - No
The Kiwis - Yes
A swimmer - No

The word overkill comes to mind ATM when ever I am asked about the Haka.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I like the Haka I like the All Blacks doing a Haka what shits me is the amount of Hakas done very poorly more often than not & every Kiwi telling us to respect it.

When a lot of Kiwi people don't tend to respect other countries traditions.

I think as a nation the Maori elders should get together & maybe draw a line in the sand on who can & can't do a Haka before a sporting event.

The All Blacks - Yes
The Tall Blacks - No
The Kiwis - Yes
A swimmer - No

The word overkill comes to mind ATM when ever I am asked about the Haka.

I really think that it should be left to the full-on, confrontational contact sports. It just doesn't look right when basketball or hockey or swimming etc do it. And I LOVE basketball but yeah....nah...

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
That was awesome the way the junior leaguies handled it! That's one option. The facing the other way trick was fantastic also. There are a few ways to go about it.

I know the Wobs have taken to wearing the trackies out and taking them off after. I'd definitely try walking off and taking them off during! Then start getting into position as they are winding up!

I'm all for the Kiwis doing the haka if they like but there is certainly no responsibility whatsoever on the part of the opposition to stand there and watch it. The best theatre and images for the game come when they try different approaches.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I must admit, I think the English crowd counters the Haka best through drowning Twickers in 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot'.

I think this is effective due to 80,000 fans getting behind their team facing the ABs - compared to just 15 charging the ABs.

I will take my hat off to the Gold Brigade trying something similar with Waltzing Matilda this year at ANZ Stadium after the Haka.

However, singing and chanting is part and parcel of English sport. We don't particularly get into it and just prefer to watch the game. ;)

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I'm not a fan.

Do not react - it's disrespectful. Do not move, do not respond, do not look away, do not smile. All disrespectful. Let us encroach into your half and get in your face when we desire, but don't get uppity back - that's disrespectful

Should be for home NZ tests only.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Nothing brings up more of a cultural cringe when I see somebody from the NZ media/players/sponsors, anybody start talking about disrespecting the Haka. It pisses me off as I'm strongly of the opinion than anybody can do whatever the hell they like and it cannot be disrespected.

I'm sick of the shit that goes on about it - I don't even watch it anymore and certainly don't have the volume up for the anthems (Unless it's the 6 nations because there you have some wonderful songs sung in gusto by passionate crowds. Even GSTQ).

In summary, do whatever the hell you like and don't listen to anybody talking about disrespecting.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Typical nonsense. The haka itself is an insult. Spare me this culture/heritage rubbish. It is an in person troll attempt. They absolutely no right to perform it and opponents owe them absolutely nothing.

So sick of that poxy country. When are we bombing it back to the dark ages ?

It takes a haka thread to get naza back???

:)

K

KAOPointman

Im sure there has been a thread on this at some point in the past but after the junior league test involving aus v nz the other day I thought it would be worth a revisit (also note ex aussie union boy taane milne was front and centre for the kiwis in the haka)

My view on the matter is that the haka is great culturally for the kiwis and awesome to witness as a non-kiwi, however I don't like this pc crap of having to stand there and take it otherwise you are seen as disrespectful, a team should be able to stand and watch, advance and get up in their face or even ignore it and chuck a ball around amongst themselves if they so please.

Lets all face it, the haka is a call to arms, a war dance, it is aggressive and intimidating yet for them to have the hide to have a go at a team for advancing on them or crossing over half way while they are performing it is nothing short of ridiculous. Many kiwis claim it is culturally insensitive to do anything accept stand and listen to the haka however kiwis forget that the haka is their culture nt anybody elses, in my culture yelling and making throat slitting gestures towards people is culturally insensitive.

I totally agree.....the players should be professional enough not to start fights if the ABs opposing team decides to get up in their face. It IS A CHALLENGE AfTERALL right?
Disrespecting them shouldn't be on tho, but how do you police that. If you want to take offence at something....you'll find a away. That's why they currently want everyone opposing the ABs to stand still and watch.

I say perform the haka. The other team can do WHATEVER they like.......as long as it's not disrespectful!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
personally id like to see the wallabies encircle the all blacks as they do the haka, preferably linked together but not sure if there would be enough numbers to do it that way. Just surround them, stare them down from all angles and let them know, no matter where you turn theres a wallaby waiting for you

If that fails I did like the attempted flying V the French tried at the last world cup, maybe we could try re-living other great sport movie moments like the "remember the titans dance" :p

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
The Wallabies should line up in formation like this:

510144-james-o-039-connor-buddy-franklin-digby-ioane-kurtley-beale-quade-cooper-spa.jpg

If that doesn't put the All Blacks off their game I don't know what will

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could do his Balinese war dance (though we may need to bring back Drew Mitchell to assist)

tumblr_n7tbnsPYRR1tzp843o1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.