• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As the Gimblett Gravels (Hawkes Bay) Magpies have been endorsed as the official Chez Jarse ITM Cup team, that was a good result, but the ManawatuTurbo Bucketheads must be favourites to take out the ITM Championship.

Robbie Fruen needs to start running at spaces and gaps, and stop looking to do a Jonah Lomu speed bump on skinny backs. It looks good for the highlights reel, but does little to advance the teams overall position as it allows time and space for the defence to reorganise.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ Not sure if it's been mentioned but The Chiefs have cut Fruen & I've yet to see anything about him being picked up by anyone else so I guess it's the big OE for him.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Taranaki vs Auckland, probably the best game of rugby I've seen this year. The pace and physicality did not let up for 100 minutes and there was a lot of endeavour considering it was a semi final. The Naki 13 (apparently signed by the Chiefs) had a blinder.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tasman Makos beat Canterbury Lambs for the second time this year to progress to the Final against Taranaki in New Plymouth.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Taranaki vs Auckland, probably the best game of rugby I've seen this year. The pace and physicality did not let up for 100 minutes and there was a lot of endeavour considering it was a semi final. The Naki 13 (apparently signed by the Chiefs) had a blinder.

Tamanivalu is going to kill it in Super Rugby. Player of the ITM.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Should be a great final, either way we'll have a first time winner. Also for Tasman to potentially win the comp in their first year after being promoted would be remarkable.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Should be a great final, either way we'll have a first time winner. Also for Tasman to potentially win the comp in their first year after being promoted would be remarkable.

Also a first winner from outside of the Big 5 provinces (Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Canterbury & Otago) since Manawatu in 1980. Heart says Tasman, being Nelson-born, but head says Taranaki.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well enjoyed pointing out to mates on way to test last night, that all the teams in finals next week are from the middle of the country, all the northern and southern teams are out, so not too much travelling for fans etc. Actually Wellington ended up bottom and the surrounding ITM team are playing the finals!!
Can't wait for the games next week!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lochore Cup SF results were Wanganui 37-6 v King Country & North Otago 16-12 v South Canty, GF in Oamaru; Meads Cup Buller 22-15 v Horowhenua-Kapiti & Mid Canty 29-22 v Poverty Bay, GF in Westport.

Great effort from the 'nua to make the Meads Cup after a long absence, shame they couldn't go on with it but hopefully they can build on that next year.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also a first winner from outside of the Big 5 provinces (Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Canterbury & Otago) since Manawatu in 1980. Heart says Tasman, being Nelson-born, but head says Taranaki.
A Nelson-born, former resident of Levin supporting Canterbury. You're quite the nomad aren't ya WO ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not to mention 8 years in Bay of Plenty, 4 in Taranaki, 4 in Wellywood & 5 in Hamilton. We're a mobile lot, us kiwis.
Helps to have lots of teams to support to huh WO;)
Buggered if I know who to really get behind this weekend, pretty keen on the Makos because of the personal they put on field, some seriously underated plyers in that team. Also keen on the Naki, and as I went to school in Kapuni/Kaponga area and I like their style I pretty happy for them to win to!!
As for championship, it a little easier I gotta got for Manawatu being a Levin fella and all!!
Well looking forward to games this weekend!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Helps to have lots of teams to support to huh WO;)
Buggered if I know who to really get behind this weekend, pretty keen on the Makos because of the personal they put on field, some seriously underated plyers in that team. Also keen on the Naki, and as I went to school in Kapuni/Kaponga area and I like their style I pretty happy for them to win to!!
As for championship, it a little easier I gotta got for Manawatu being a Levin fella and all!!
Well looking forward to games this weekend!!

I'm hoping to watch both games, other commitments allowing, but not too fussed result-wise: either way the Vikings get a team in the top flight at Wellington's expense which is pure karma, and someone gets their name on the honours board for the first time ever. I'd prefer that to be Tasman but if it turns out to be Taranaki then well done them & I can claim a win by previous residence!

Status
Not open for further replies.