• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 Currie Cup final

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Newlands the place to be.
Seniors
Western Province:
15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Juan de Jongh (captain), 12 Jaco Taute, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Jean Kleyn, 3 Pat Cilliers, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Alistair Vermaak

Substitutes: 16 Neil Rautenbach, 17 Brok Harris, 19 Gerbrandt Grobler, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 20 Louis Schreuder, 21 Kurt Coleman, 22 Michael van der Spuy

Golden Lions:

15 Jaco van der Walt, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Marnitz Boshoff, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Martin Muller, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16 Armand van der Merwe, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Willie Britz, 20 Warwick Tecklenburg, 21 Mark Richards, 22 Harold Vorster

U21 & U19 WeePee vs Brutes.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Good luck to both teams. It's gonna be defence vs. attack, and we know which of those normally win finals.

Nevertheless hoping the Lions can make it interesting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
WPs back three are poison this year. If they get enough possension they'll punish the Lions. Biggest worry for me is the breakdowns. If we dont clean out the Lions will dominate plus they have Akker. Lions by 50.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Also want to note that WP have now overtaken the Brutes regarding strong structure. 3 CCs will prove this, some serious talent in our youth teams.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
OK.

Only difference is last week the Lions played against the Sharks, whose defence has less substance than a Jake White contract.

WP know how to defend well.

It might come down to the last minute actually. Catrakillis drop goal?

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Also want to note that WP have now overtaken the Brutes regarding strong structure. 3 CCs will prove this, some serious talent in our youth teams.

I would not argue with this. I am the first one to say that, since Ludekak has taken over, youth development and belief in the youngsters has been on a steady decline.

We are in big trouble for Super Rugby next year. I have no idea what to look forward to next year from a rugby perspective.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Sorry to go off topic gents, but according to you guys, how is de Jong going this season? Any chance he might make the Bok squad?

I support WP, but did I love watching the Lions go through them when they played in Joburg :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry to go off topic gents, but according to you guys, how is de Jong going this season? Any chance he might make the Bok squad?

I support WP, but did I love watching the Lions go through them when they played in Joburg :)
de Jong has no chance, have been picked with Brussouw for the BaaBaas vs the Wallabies.

I always rate JdJ high. He is a good stepper and sure defend well. He do it like I was coach, go for the ankles. I'll have him anyday in my Bok squad.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks Oom, didn't know he was picked for the Barbarians game. Looking forward to see him and Brussow in action, I think Super Sarel is also picked

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looking forward to game, ahh finals time in rugby, Currie Cup and ITM cup, certainly gets the juices going!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is going to be a cracker, got both semis live last week and watched them both. WP pack stood up against that massive Bulls pack and the Lions are playing like it's 2011 again.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
WP youth teams to play the Brutes. Bold the good talented players coming through the ranks. Packeds with Varsity Cup players from Ikeys (uni of Cape Town) & Maties (uni of Stellenbosch).

The DHL WP Under-19 team for Saturday’s final (v Blue Bulls, home) is as follows:

15. Khanyo Ngcukana 14. Grant Hermanus 13. Heinrich Buhr 12. Ryan Oosthuizen 11. Leolin Zas 10. Ernst Stapelberg 9. Justin Phillips 8. Rikus Bothma (captain) 7. Luke Stringer 6. Christo van der Merwe 5. David Ribbans 4. Johan Momsen 3. Francois van der Merwe 2. Paul-Martin Wipplinger 1. Frans van Wyk

Replacements:
16. Hanno Snyman 17. Lebohang Mdakane 18. Kyle Whyte 19. Ruan du Preez 20. Graham Geldenhuys 21. Brendon Nell 22. Jarryd Sage 23. Adriaan Carelse
The DHL WP Under-21 team for Saturday’s final (v Blue Bulls, home) is as follows:

15. Justin Geduld 14. EW Viljoen 13. Johnny Kotze 12. Kyle Lombard 11. JP Lewis 10. Robert du Preez 9. Jean Nel (vice-captain) 8. Carel du Preez 7. Justin Benn 6. Eital Bredenkamp (captain) 5. Jan Uys 4. Jurie van Vuuren 3. Deacon Chowles 2. Michael Willemse 1. John-Hubert Meyer

Replacements:
16. Michael Kennedy 17. Niel Oelofse 18. Jade Kriel 19. Tapiwa Tsomondo 20. SP Ferreira 21. Lihleli Xoli 22. Huw Jones

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10744592_10152511633114624_551720541_n.jpg?oh=578778d17a6c8ea795b85c4e4451c2eb&oe=544CC4AD&__gda__=1414291673_51ee78c3f4bdaa98c9cd27c0359ead59

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the SA media and the general feeling I get from people watching the game is that the Lions are going to win this one.

I won't be too disappointed if they do, they are playing a great brand of rugby and they have set the benchmark in forward-play during the competition. They have not really lost players so their team (particularly their pack) is pretty much the Super Rugby team and pack.

Other than that, I think WP will have just enough to secure the win here despite the deficiensies up front. If we can get ahead early I reckon the Lions will find it a bit harder to catch up in the hostile Newlands environment coupled with WPs good defense.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
WP by three points in the end. The Lions flyhalf left his boots behind and missed a few kicks at goal.
A good game, real finals type rugby. Lions pack was impressive in the set pieces. WP front row having a long day in the office. WP up at half time and were holding on for dear life at the end.
Great performance by Craig Joubert.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Finals were awesome. WP bagging the seniors abd u19 CCs and the Brutes the u21.

Always knew WP would win the u19 CC this year because they had an great bunch of talent in that sqaud which include the likes of EW Viljoen (play seniors vs Sharks and u21 all year, Grey Bloem 15 last year) JD Schickerlingh (played JWC u20 but sadly broke his neck after settling in WP u21 side) and Jacques Vermeulen (SA JWC u20 and also WP u21 flanker) and the Kalahari klong (like Tiaan Strauss) captain Rikus Bothma.

Brutes u2s have to thank their two fatties for their won. Write down the name Pierre Schoeman, another great LH coming through.

Seniors , well I feel sorry for the Lions, they play a great brand of rugby and got caught by the heat of the moment. WP sure nadled the final situation better and Cat Killer gave them the win by converting every possile chance.

WP rugby sure is healthy, strong structure from bottom to top and hope they will show this in 2015 SupeRugby season.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Congratulations. The best team of the tournament won in the end.

Sadly for the Lions, they did what WP was expecting them to do - run everything. This gameplan may work against normal teams, but against Province in a final... not so much. If there's only one thing they will do well in a final, it's tackle, tackle and tackle all day.

At least we have a deserved, top-of-the-log winner for the first time since 2011. Well done. Looks like this will be the decade of the WP.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
B14JYCR0981.jpg

WP Talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.