• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

okm8

Frank Row (1)
@TrainerGB Does Norths even have any quality cattle moving from colts to grades next year which they have managed to retain? My understanding was only about 3 or 4 of the boys were moving to grades next year, and Norths would be lucky to keep any.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
We had a young colts side with only about 6 or coming into Grades next year I think... If that.
Garrath Ryan our prems loose head all year was still eligible for colts this year.... So can't really count him.
There are 1 or 2 who I think will push for premier positions, but the others will filter into grades.
Riley Brennan who played the tail end of the season for prems will be going around again, and better for his taste this year.
We've lost one to the Rebels 20s, which is great news. Isi Tevi.
With the rumours circulating of who is coming over, excitement is building towards the first session on Nov 4th at 6pm.
But as per, rumours mean nothing until the first round :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Tigers Tale

Why wouldn't Thor, Duncan(#10), etc see the Tigers as a great club to kick off their careers balancing Colts & Prem Rugby it's worked for Gunn, Wilkin, UJ(Toulon), Toua(France),Paraka, Placid(rebels), Fatal, Mowen, etc who all came to Easts straight from school and have gone on to bigger and better things.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unless the NRC takes another step towards professional rugby and offers proper player contracts with more money I can't see too many guys coming back. Although, its probably a case by case basis and highly dependent on their age. Obviously the comp is good exposure for S15 contracts but its a high risk with so many good young players developing.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Good to see Ryan Tongia picking up a Super 15 contract with the Highlanders next year.

A talent for sure... it's a shame the QRU and ARU didn't really see it.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good to see Ryan Tongia picking up a Super 15 contract with the Highlanders next year.

A talent for sure. it's a shame the QRU and ARU didn't really see it.
Another one that got away. Same can be said for Auckland Blues lock Tom Murday. Got his chance through the ITM cup a few years ago and signed a contract with the blues last season. A very talented 2nd rower whom the reds and even the wallabies could have used.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
15 scholarships at $15K is simply untrue. Uni have 8 Sporting Achievement Scholarships available at $6K each. For the record, they only gave 5 of them out last year. as the University only believed their were 5 worthy candidates based on their criteria. Sunnybank & Griffith Uni combined are now offering scholarships & Bond have 2 full scholarships per year valued at far more than anything UQ offers

As for Tupou, only Easts, Brothers & UQ met with him as they were the only clubs that made the effort to contact Sam Cordingley. The QRU can't force a player where to play. If Wests, Norths or any club for that matter want to recruit a player to their club then they have to at least reach out. Tongan Thor will end up at UQ, Brothers or EAsts as these are the only clubs that bothered to make the effort.

I must admit, I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Don't Uni have 2 feeder junior clubs in Taylor Bridge and Kenmore?? Saying that it is hard to get a kid to pull on your jersey?? How many Wests juniors have ended up at Uni? Also, it must be really hard for the 15 or so people Uni give 'scholarships' to every year, which they can get up to and around $15K for support. What a tough sell that must be, the kids would be mad not to go!! Implying that it is hard for uni to recruit Colts I think is bit rich, especially when they have a captive audience with students living and studying literally on their front door. If it is so hard, why do they have 4-5 colts teams a year.

Also, I understand what you are saying above in regards to senior player movement, but I think you have missed the point a little bit, on what the previous people have said. Uni have taken 'Premier Grade' players from other clubs, who are below them on the ladder. The players you mentioned who went to Wests, were not week in - week out Premier Grade players. Caslick had left and gone to the UK when Wests got him, Morseu had stopped playing rugby all together, Uebergang and Wedlock both would have been lucky to play 5 Premier Grades between them if at all. They went to Wests for an opportunity to play regular Premier Grade.

I like what Trainer GB said. In the current situation, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer. I think it is important that the QRU doesn't lose site on what makes the Brisbane Premier Grade comp great. Generally every year 1 of about 5 or 6 teams can legitimately win the comp. Generally 'on their day', most teams can beat everyone else. The worst thing that can happen is that 1 or 2 clubs monopolise the player market, and we end up in a situation like in NSW, where Sydney Uni have won Premiership after Premiership, and it is a contest for 2nd and 3rd place.

wests junior

Frank Row (1)
But that's $48,000 other clubs simply don't have.

The majority of other clubs don't have a University to fall back on.

Even though I despise Brothers, I hope he goes there instead of UQ.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
15 scholarships at $15K is simply untrue. Uni have 8 Sporting Achievement Scholarships available at $6K each. For the record, they only gave 5 of them out last year. as the University only believed their were 5 worthy candidates based on their criteria. Sunnybank & Griffith Uni combined are now offering scholarships & Bond have 2 full scholarships per year valued at far more than anything UQ offers

As for Tupou, only Easts, Brothers & UQ met with him as they were the only clubs that made the effort to contact Sam Cordingley. The QRU can't force a player where to play. If Wests, Norths or any club for that matter want to recruit a player to their club then they have to at least reach out. Tongan Thor will end up at UQ, Brothers or EAsts as these are the only clubs that bothered to make the effort.

Ned Stark Bond also have made effort via his family direct using links from their Tongan community

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Ned, Norths contacted the QRU immediately when requested to, but unfortunately we were not given an opportunity to meet "Thor" as we were advised the meetings at the time were postponed.... Then the next thing we heard was he had been and gone?!?!

Funny how those 3 clubs were given an opportunity to meet with the youngster but we weren't.

QRU looking after their own interests I suppose. Always an uphill battle for the bottom feeders.

We'll keep trying to develop our club the best way we can.

There's also another Norths super rugby player looking at coming back to Brisbane..... And again, the QRU are trying to push him to another club....

Hard for us to grow and develop when we are up against the governing body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
TheBigDog and Galloper it's great to see preseason kicking off this wk down at Yoku rd. both Dammers and Miles must be looking forward to it. With Fogs and Sio now at norths who's going to do reggies? I hoping maybe Kelevi steps up from prem colts or Kim jones and stu Hendricks gets a chance at it either way three quality coaches there!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TheBigDog and Galloper it's great to see preseason kicking off this wk down at Yoku rd. both Dammers and Miles must be looking forward to it. With Fogs and Sio now at norths who's going to do reggies? I hoping maybe Kelevi steps up from prem colts or Kim jones and stu Hendricks gets a chance at it either way three quality coaches there!

Im fairly sure John 'Slats' Slater is getting the nod for the head coaching gig in prem reserves, he was the manager last season to my knowledge yet also contributed in coaching areas.

A part from Premier Grade and Premier Reserve I think you'll find most of the coaching positions are staying the same for 2015.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There's also another Norths super rugby player looking at coming back to Brisbane... And again, the QRU are trying to push him to another club..

Hard for us to grow and develop when we are up against the governing body.

Not trying to have a dig but surely the success of a club and its growth and develpoment doesn't rest on whether or not they get one or two Super Rugby players? For example as Filthrugby will gladly tell you Brothers have only had two or three go around in the last 5 years yet are always up and abouts come finals time.

It seems to me the issue at Norths is a lack of depth in all teams, not just Premier Grade. A part from the stacked Brisbane 2nds team the rest of the grades seemed to struggle in 2015 and have been struggling for a while now.

I do agree with you that it must be frustrating seeing some good players steered to other clubs but I doubt missing out on them will solve all the issues at Norths. I know there is the argument that getting some of these guys down might raise the club profile but wouldit really attract the 20-30 players the clubs needs to get stronger?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I see GPS has approached Andy Tucker (Uni coach back in early 00s) to see if he's interested in returning to coaching

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog - Depth of Talent - is my biggest concern for Easts.

For many years up until the last few seasons Easts have performed well in the lower grades but that has not been the case of recent time and it may well impact on Prems over coming seasons.

Easts haven't had a decent Prem Colts side for a number of years now and that feeds directly into the grades.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
You can't compare Norths situation to brothers situation as unlike brothers North's don't have a set school (or two) supplying them a continuous rich vein of talent. I also think that it's easy for people from the clubs in the QRU good graces to cast judgement. However if Norths are having a real hard crack at revamping their rugby program, (and by the sounds they are making the right noises) the QRU should let them and give them space to do so.

The choice of whether North's should be a better a club or not should be theirs alone. It shouldn't be the choice of outsiders whether they are entitled to an evolution. People easily forget that for a period University where cellar dwellers as well, however excellent planning and foresight turned them into (dare I say it) the pinnacle of QLD rugby. I doubt that they where prohibited from implementing such a shift in culture.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TD, I can't articulate how little sense I'm making from your post. The comment about clubs being in the QRU's 'good graces' and then casting judgement makes no sense. Do you think GPS success is because the Queensland Rugby Union is giving them access to players across every grade? Get real. I don't think its really 'casting judgement' if someone is giving constructive feedback as to how it looks at a certain club.

Also, Brothers rich vein of talent has been highly diluted over the last few years, especially their hotline into the Nudgee stocks. I daresay if Ben McCormack left the club then their Terrace connections would dwindle as well. Brothers are finding ways to make it work at a club level, not just because they have schools to feed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.