• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
You guys remember that when KB (Kurtley Beale) apologised to Di, she accepted?

Then there was an argument on the plane about something else and this all come out again.

We had a magistrate look at the facts and he decided that dismissal was not appropriate.

There's not much more we could have asked for, if the ARU sacked him, there would have been claims of unfair dismissal.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Were you telling everyone to not believe everything they read when the accusation around relationships and work history were spread? FFS don't be a fucking hypocrit.

No. I am saying that all you have is a story and one version of a story. Until you hear the other side you have nothing complete. Where is the fucking hypocrisy in that?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
So you think he can grow up when things go his way? Sorry, bit that is not growing up at all. That is being a child.
I agree that the way you put it is being a child.

That is not how I meant it though. What I was thinking is that if Cheika doesn't select the bloke for a good while and then still plays him off the bench when he does but Beale is happy otherwise with the setup then he could learn a thing or two about life.

By having Cheika select him would be bad for Beale because he'd have the sense he won the war - especially if he just runs into the starting team from here.

There are or were rumours if I'm not mistaken that Beale is unhappy about not featuring enough for the Wallabies.

I'm sure there are a number of centres in the NZ setup who have wished to break into the team with Nonu and Conrad there but you don't hear these kinds of rumours from around there and despite the continued selection of Pienaar above other scrumhalves you don't hear the same over here either.

I didn't infer he'll grow up when things go his way either and I did say I believe his punishment is not severe enough.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
An accusation was made against Beale and it turns out it wasn't entirely proven. That's why. FFS, don't believe everything you read.

What was proven?
You don't have a class of proof "not entirely proven". $45k is a lot for something that was "not entirely proven" - something has been established, surely?
The ARU really need to address the questions raised by the decision rather than acting as if it is the answer.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)

Then there was an argument on the plane about something else and this all come out again.

We had a magistrate look at the facts and he decided that dismissal was not appropriate.

There's not much more we could have asked for, if the ARU sacked him, there would have been claims of unfair dismissal.
The entire matter stinks of entitlement and disrespect.

Di Patson did forgive him as I understand.

Beale did transgress team protocol (once again) on the plane.

The fact that it came to light in the media even after he was forgiven and even after he pleaded for forgiveness doesn't make him any more entitled to a lesser punishment.

This is not his first transgression and after he had been forgiven he transgressed once again!

What on earth suggests he'll learn from the leniancy bestowed upon him now?

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
What was proven?
You don't have a class of proof "not entirely proven". $45k is a lot for something that was "not entirely proven" - something has been established, surely?
The ARU really need to address the questions raised by the decision rather than acting as if it is the answer.

The matter yesterday dealt with an accusation against Beale. Agreed. He admitted sending the first part, not the second. Is it too early for you to understand? Partial guilt. Guilty of initiating it.
The ARU has dealt with the accusations against Beale by Patston. What else is there to address? Let's move on.

P

Paradox

Of course I do. I am just being realistic. We are talking about a 24 year old kid here. We're probably all a bit older and a bit wiser then we were at that age. I'm sure most of us were never quite as stupid as he is. As I said I would have like KB (Kurtley Beale) booted as he has just had too many chances. But 45k fine is not insignificant. (My wife, who is a woman, concurs). I think thee are just too many people on their moral high horsies prepared to pass judgement on a situation they probably only know 10% of the facts.

And a few that don't know the difference between morals and ethics.

He's a serial offender who has been hit with nearly 100k fines in 12 months. He is getting special treatment and JOC (James O'Connor) got booted for a lot less. ARU are an absolute joke and further destroying their brand and culture

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The matter yesterday dealt with an accusation against Beale. Agreed. He admitted sending the first part, not the second. Is it too early for you to understand? Partial guilt. Guilty of initiating it.
The ARU has dealt with the accusations against Beale by Patston. What else is there to address? Let's move on.

Partial guilt?
A little bit pregnant.
Some other Wallaby sent offensive texts: what is being done about him? or is that just to be swept under the carpet.
FFS - either there is an issue of principle concerning the Wallaby environment or this was a witch hunt.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have no idea if the punishment fits the crime. It would seem that a pretty impartial review system deemed this was fair punishment,and they obviously know more than me.

However it is odds on that Beale will end the careers of others before he is finished. He won't learn because if he hasn't learned by now from his past transgressions then it is clear that he will never learn.

Pretty evident he is an idiot.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

In Patston's case, she is entitled to take back her apology if she later felt it was disingenuous or not believable.

And, apologies in no way mean someone should get off. Contrition reduces sentences, it does not excuse the actions.

ARU could have simply suspended him for the EOYT and not offered him a contract, letting him sign and play for the Tahs only next year if he wished.

Remember, JOC (James O'Connor) had his contract torn up for less. There will be a view now that Beale is a protected species, and the ARU and Wallabies have an issue with women.

Upthenuts

Jim Clark (26)
just because hes not sacked doesnt mean he should be picked, but the best way to make beale man up is put him at 2nd 5 against the english and tell him hes got the full 80 mins, beale to show the world how hes changed and now a man with his with his powerful defence.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Partial guilt?
A little bit pregnant.
Some other Wallaby sent offensive texts: what is being done about him? or is that just to be swept under the carpet.
FFS - either there is an issue of principle concerning the Wallaby environment or this was a witch hunt.

You are quite right about the other text. Yesterday's hearing was supposed to fix that. It didn't. Now you can either drag it out and maybe make it a police matter [search of phone records, etc], crucify lots of other people with marginal involvement or you can leave it alone, draw a line in the sand and say don't let it happen again.
A lot of people have made their opinions on not a lot of evidence. Remember this was a closed hearing so there is still a lot of speculation. It has had the effect of raising a shit load of indignation. I understand the anger but I think it is misdirected.

P

Paradox

Back to Link's resignation, seems to boil down to his word vs Cheika's. Cheika is said to have made a statement in support of Beale. The statement makes the claim that Beale and Cheika discussed the texts over a coffee in June during which Beale mentioned that Link knew about the texts (which I still personally doubt).

Does anyone know if the Cheika statement is speculation or if he did make it? In any event that doesn't make Beale less culpable. Interestingly, we now have the situation where Cheika is the coach, Link is gone, and Beale is eligible for selection next week.

During Link's time:
- JOC (James O'Connor) got let go for a lot less
- Several players got punished in Dublin

This was a man on a mission to try and sort out team culture and discipline. To me it doesn't make sense that he would let an incident like Beale's go unpunished and made private.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
$45000 is not a slap on the wrist. When was the last time you paid $45000 for anything?

I must admit, I never have. But then I don't earn $10,000 (?) for playing 80 minutes of rugby. Yes, it is a lot of money to someone like me who doesn't even earn that much in a year, and to most people in heneral. But to someone who gets paid quite handsomely ... well he will be able to pay it back before the end of year now that he will likely be selected in the EOY tests.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All this outrage about KB (Kurtley Beale)'s punishment. Meh.
How could they do any more when there seems to be no will to find (I think they already know) the other texter and punish him?
I suspect he's a clean skin with an impeccable reputation and no priors.
This double standard is what should be causing outrage: double standards lead to lack of respect and degrade team morale.
The performance since June shows what happens when a team loses its self respect and morale is sapped.

Agree. The fact that there was a second poster might also explain the comments by the senior Wallabies. If the second text was the more offensive, then there should be a concerted effort to uncover the culprit.

As for Beale, I believe we will again see him on the bench for the Wallabies during the EOYT. That, despite the emergence of To'omua and Lealiifano as arguably (I have no doubts at all) better options at 10 or 12.

I think I will have to vent my anger by not attending the Brumbies' home game to the Tahs if Beale is still involved next year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
]
During Link's time:
- JOC (James O'Connor) got let go for a lot less
- Several players got punished in Dublin

This was a man on a mission to try and sort out team culture and discipline. To me it doesn't make sense that he would let an incident like Beale's go unpunished and made private.

You could even say it's all almost a bit of a paradox..

$45000 is not a slap on the wrist. When was the last time you paid $45000 for anything?

I came pretty close the last time I went grocery shopping in Australia!

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I think I will have to vent my anger by not attending the Brumbies' home game to the Tahs if Beale is still involved next year.

Maybe we could try and get a packed Canberra Stadium and make sure that every person in the crowd lets Beale know exactly how vile we think his actions were.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I must admit, I never have. But then I don't earn $10,000 (?) for playing 80 minutes of rugby. Yes, it is a lot of money to someone like me who doesn't even earn that much in a year, and to most people in heneral. But to someone who gets paid quite handsomely . well he will be able to pay it back before the end of year now that he will likely be selected in the EOY tests.
In SA I believe most internationals receive between AUS$75k and AUS$300k a year with their Super Rugby franchise. I suspect it's not that much different in Australia.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Please NO!!!!!! We do not need it.

I actually think we do. Otherwise it is sending a terrible message about what is acceptable behaviour for this playing group.

But then I'm pretty sure they are already aware of what sort of behaviour the ARU will tolerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.