• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Robinson
Fainga'a
Alexander
Skelton
Horwill
Higgers
Hooper
MCCalman
Genia
Cooper
Speight
Lilo
Kuridrani
Tomane
Folau

Hanson, Slipper, Kepu, Simmons, Jones, Phipps, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Players I would like to see get good game time, so probably means starting with them are Horwill, Jones, Genia, Quade, To'omua and Speight. Players I think could use a rest and therefore not start are Slipper, Kepu, Carter and Hooper.

I would be looking at :

Robinson
Fainga'a
Alexander
Horwill
Skelton
Jones
Hodgson
Higgers
Genia
Cooper
Tomane
To'omua
Kuridrani
Speight
Folau

Hanson
Slipper
Faulkner
Simmons
McCalman
White
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Lealiifano played well in Brisbane, I'd like to see either he or Godwin at 12. Would also like to see Genia and Cooper get a run, but I don't foresee Cheika selecting them.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Its funny that people think Chieka will only coach "Chieka ball". So is that the complete game he coached at Leinster, the attack game of the Tahs (forgetting their competition best defence while their at it) or the conservative game at Padova?

Reactions: BDA

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Its funny that people think Chieka will only coach "Chieka ball". So is that the complete game he coached at Leinster, the attack game of the Tahs (forgetting their competition best defence while their at it) or the conservative game at Padova?

I think they mean "Tah-Ball".

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My team for the Bar Bars would be

Slips
Finger
Kepu
Simmions
Carter
Higgers
Hooper (c)
McCalmen
Phipps
Foley
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Lealifanio
The Fiji Beast
Speight
Izzy

I'd be going all guns blazing for the BarBars and wanting to put about 60 on them.

Speight is the only new guy and that's because I think he needs game time..

Cooper on at half time with Genia (I love White but Genia at his best is our best 9).

To'omua off the bench for CL, although toss up with how Chekia is thinking. I'd drop Alexander for the other THP I dont know his name.

Hey, Slipper and Kepu need a break, pleaseeeeeeee

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyone else think there might be an excess of back rowers in the touring squad? Jones, Higgers, McCalman, McMahon at 6/8 and Hooper, Hodgson and McMahon at 7. Unfortunately, can't see McMahon getting much game time.

Probably should have had an extra prop instead.

T

Train Without a Station

I think McMahon is lucky to get a plane ticket. Good player but not big enough to be an international 6 and he's the 3rd 7 in the squad.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)

Easy Tiger, no need to get defensive, I don't think anyone has said anything of the sort over the past two pages. I CBF reading any farther back than that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
With his bulk Skelton struggles to get down low enough with a flat back to transfer power through his prop. Flexibility and core strength are extremely important for a guy of Skelton's size, I'd say its those things he needs to work on to get his technique right. I don't think that Skelton is an asset at scrum time currently, but that's not saying he couldn't be in the future.

Carter and Simmons look like being our strongest scrummaging locks; actually, Simmons looks weirdly enough to be our best scrummaging lock and I never would have picked that a bit over a year ago.

Show me a scrum in the last two years where the pack has had a flat plane of backs. Don't get me wrong they have improved, without a doubt, but it is inconsistent. I don't doubt that he needs to work on his positioning, but he is no different to any of the others in this regard.

In fact I do not think it is down to the players, I feel it is more to do with the ridiculous set up sequence. Last year they didn't get low enough at the start and then reacted and started to have the second rowers and flankers kneel down to bind correctly. However they stayed there until the bind call and then the 8 drags the locks up by their shorts. Watch and you will see that the locks end up shoulder below hips. Contrast to the simple set up of the Argies and you will see a truly flat backed pack.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I think McMahon is lucky to get a plane ticket. Good player but not big enough to be an international 6 and he's the 3rd 7 in the squad.

Hey TWAS, speaking of plane tickets, who will fly back to Oz, given that KB (Kurtley Beale) has now gone over to "re-enforce" the squad? Maybe they took one player less, knowing that Kurtley would be there, all along!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hey TWAS, speaking of plane tickets, who will fly back to Oz, given that KB (Kurtley Beale) has now gone over to "re-enforce" the squad? Maybe they took one player less, knowing that Kurtley would be there, all along!
Where has it been said that Beale has flown over?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Where has it been said that Beale has flown over?

Good point, cyclopath. I had come to that conclusion after reading an article in yesterday's Gold Coast Bulletin, by Jamie Pandaram & Rebecca Wilson. Having read it again a few minutes ago, I note that it says that Beale "could be in line to join the Wallabies in their spring tour"!
Perhaps a case of "we must not assume", on my part?!

He is most likely holidaying in The Maldives!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Show me a scrum in the last two years where the pack has had a flat plane of backs. Don't get me wrong they have improved, without a doubt, but it is inconsistent. I don't doubt that he needs to work on his positioning, but he is no different to any of the others in this regard.

In fact I do not think it is down to the players, I feel it is more to do with the ridiculous set up sequence. Last year they didn't get low enough at the start and then reacted and started to have the second rowers and flankers kneel down to bind correctly. However they stayed there until the bind call and then the 8 drags the locks up by their shorts. Watch and you will see that the locks end up shoulder below hips. Contrast to the simple set up of the Argies and you will see a truly flat backed pack.

Have wondered all year why the No 8 pulls the locks back and up. Can anyone throw some light on it?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't doubt that he needs to work on his positioning, but he is no different to any of the others in this regard.

We will have to agree to disagree, because I think Skelton has been worse than some other locks at scrum time, particularly Carter and Simmons. His scrummaging prowess is overblown from what I have witnessed, no doubt due to his size. Same thing happens with large props.

There's having a flat plane of backs, and then there's seeing a lock with a bent back and a way high up on the top of the prop's arse.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Given all the turmoil, what do the Wallabies and Chieka want from this game? Given the new staff, this game is going to set the mood for the tour.

If Chieka can get the mongral into the forwards and get them taking the ball into contact at pace, I think he will be mad not to go with Genia and Cooper. They are the best combination when it comes to keeping the pack organised as one unit and the most threatening in attack. No disrespect meant to Foley and Phipps intended but they don't have what Genia and Cooper have when on song.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds locking combo was reinstated with Horwill specifically instructed to focus on playing hard with ball in hand while leaving others to focus on the grinding work. Alexander is a real problem for me. I see Kepu as a legitimate strong running option but this will take it's toll on his set piece as the game gets older. I would like to see a serious set piece TH on the bench to keep us solid later in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.