• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck really de Brito? When did you go from writing "I'm having an existential crisis over all the quim I've hit while getting seriously drunk LAD" to serious shit like this?

I hardly think everyone else is "eating lavishly".

Well unless you're just speaking to your Eastern Suburbs upper-middle yuppie mates.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He does have a point, @Pfitzy.
And I'm ignoring your staple Eastern Suburbs yuppie snipe as emanating from your hand-cut chip on your McMansion shoulder! :p

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll ignore that.

He has a point in that there are a bunch of fucking people whining about not having enough.

But his initial setup - effectively supporting politicians who ARE out of touch - is bullshit.

It could be worse:

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's nothing new about this article, or the sentiment it represents. I'm not sure I agree with it.

I think it comes down to the simple truism of 'ignorance is bliss'. Or more specifically, being aware of ebola/climate change/superAIDS doesn't make you happier, or really help your day-to-day life in any way.

It sort of ties in with the dilemma of an Australian life mattering more to me than a Chinese life (for example). Or if I read about a car accident in NSW and the bloke is from Belrose (where I live), I care more than if he was from Manly.

Ultimately everyone has a bubble in which they exist, just that some are bigger than others. It's just a coping mechanism, a way of getting through the day. Because there is some awful shit going down in the World, and if you cared about every little thing you'd be a miserable bastard 24/7. You need to work out what you care about and what you don't. Everyone has a line somewhere.

I normally don't like De Brito. I don't really like him here. It's a tired, elitist argument- I know about Syria and you don't so I'm better than you. What's wrong with caring about the Bachelor? If it makes you happy then knock your fucking socks off.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It is hard to stereotype us as a nation because we are so diverse but on the international stage we do present ourselves as arrogant and out of touch. I think it runs to where we have found our security in the world weather it be our attachment to the motherland or strong ties with the US. I don't think we have yet to identify ourselves as a nation and it leads to us as a people consisting of several different niche groups. I also think this is what has been driving our social policy within this country and it is ingrained to the point where we have not shown the maturity to face and address it. We carry in many ways social traits of those we tie ourselves to for security.

Internally a big problem is a lack of cohesion in social policy. We have groups who are very self centered, we have groups that think everything should be handed to us, we have groups who think nothing should be for free. These standpoints all counteract against each other when in truth the right position lies in between. Whenever their is a time we merge this and strive for a society of equal opportunity, there is self interest that takes it to far or self interest that tares it apart. From my personal view this is the frustrating part.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is hard to stereotype us as a nation because we are so diverse but on the international stage we do present ourselves as arrogant and out of touch. I think it runs to where we have found our security in the world weather it be our attachment to the motherland or strong ties with the US. I don't think we have yet to identify ourselves as a nation and it leads to us as a people consisting of several different niche groups. I also think this is what has been driving our social policy within this country and it is ingrained to the point where we have not shown the maturity to face and address it. We carry in many ways social traits of those we tie ourselves to for security.

Internally a big problem is a lack of cohesion in social policy. We have groups who are very self centered, we have groups that think everything should be handed to us, we have groups who think nothing should be for free. These standpoints all counteract against each other when in truth the right position lies in between. Whenever their is a time we merge this and strive for a society of equal opportunity, there is self interest that takes it to far or self interest that tares it apart. From my personal view this is the frustrating part.

I like what you say. Could that be Team Australia?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I like what you say. Could that be Team Australia?

No. "Team Australia" does not represent the social inclusion that will move the nation and it's peoples forward. I think the Hawke/Keating era comes closest to what I believe. The chance to prosper though a social safety net that catches those who fall through the cracks and helps them to their feet. A nation that can own up to its past injustices and reconcile with its first peoples in a manner that allows them their cultural dignity. A nation that knows and fully appreciates its geographic location and where it's future relationships should lie and is accepted into the region as it's own identity. A nation not of equal reward but most certainly a nation of equal opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.