• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brett's source told him that at the the start of the tournament. I suspect Fox may not be impressed now, though.

I really hope Growden is wrong.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I know it's easy to write Growden off, but I really do think he has been death riding this comp since the get go. If I had to guess, I'd say it's in part because his snouts are old and disgruntled figures from SS clubland.

Dead right, he death rode the ARC from the get go too. And if I were to put my tinfoil hat on, I might even suggest that part of the push to get rid of Pulver is the thought that with him gone, the NRC is gone (much like how the ARC died when Flowers went). And I suspect that would make some in Sydney clubland very happy.

I suspect Growden's preferred model is:
1. Return to club rugby being the third teir
2. Throw money at clubs
3. ?????
4. Profit

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Whilst I agree with many on this page in that Growden is permanently pessimistic, for the first time ever in the last month or two it's been justified... what a circus

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
ABC or SBS to the rescue maybe.....
Free to air rugby, how good would that be.

If all true, more the reason to get to Ballymore this weekend

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
ABC or SBS to the rescue maybe...
Free to air rugby, how good would that be.

If all true, more the reason to get to Ballymore this weekend

How good would that be!!?

I was pretty annoyed to find out today that 7mate is playing the majority of the NFL.

I understand the deal with rights etc but fuck me, you can't tell me that the gridiron is going to rate better than a possible rugby alternative?

Really looking forward to the game this weekend

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How good would that be!!?

I was pretty annoyed to find out today that 7mate is playing the majority of the NFL.

I understand the deal with rights etc but fuck me, you can't tell me that the gridiron is going to rate better than a possible rugby alternative?

Really looking forward to the game this weekend

Not about ratings, about production costs. The networks love stuff they don't have to film themselves, the ABC included.

Why we are seeing less and less second tier sport (eg the VFL) and more and more darts, golf, indian soccer.

The NRC may fall victim to this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not about ratings, about production costs. The networks love stuff they don't have to film themselves, the ABC included.

Why we are seeing less and less second tier sport (eg the VFL) and more and more darts, golf, indian soccer.

The NRC may fall victim to this.

I think that's right. I'd be fairly certain that Fox would replay all the matches if all they had to do was show them. It's getting cameras, staff and commentators to the ground that would cost them.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

I watch the NFL on 7mate every week;)
The Superbowl got 110,000 viewers on ESPN and 210,000 on Ten on a Monday morning this year. Don't underestimate how much interest there is in the NFL. I reckon it would easily outrate the NRC

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Unfortunately(?) it seems the trend is for online live streaming of local content. Good for us viewers that we can see more games but not good for the comp financially.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have read that Foxtel are locked in for at least 1 more year, but also that they want out due to poor numbers. Do they have an out clause? There needs to be some certainty over this as without Foxtel it'll probably fall over & until they're confirmed as being on board it'll be that much harder for the clubs to attract sponsors, plus you've gotta wonder if Buildcorp will stick around if it's not gonna be broadcast.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The problem is that due to only one game per week on TV you only see your own team rarely. I believe to become a real follower of a team you need access to them every week so they become part of your life not just a rare thing.

The biggest mistake the competition made this year was not switching from Thursday night to Saturday night when there was no Test match on.

Rugby needs to have a Saturday night game from Round 1 of Super Rugby through to the Spring Tour without fail (and with NRC we could also have Friday Nights too).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If foxtel want out that would be disappointing as they must surely recognise the rush job on this comp to get it off the ground and lack of marketing....ARU needs to ensure NRC survival by bundling TV rights for wallabies, super rugby and NRC.....

Rugby needs all 4 levels and ABC already covers shute shield in terms of match of the round...etc

I have never been to club rugby game but more likely to go to a club game as result of going to NRC games (which don't compete in terms of window with clubs)....Rugby needs NRC...won't survive with clubland as only pathway below super and international rugby...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't know how much I believe Foxtel want out - is this just rumour mill going on here....not seen any articles showing this - if someone can show link to Growden article where states this would be helpful as found nothing via my review of Growden articles....

Wonder if this is clubland rumour as certain factions would love to see NRC fail...which IMO is nearsighted.....

Status
Not open for further replies.