• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

So what are you doing that's so amazing on Saturday to relegate the amazing achievement of Hodgson captaining his country to the so-so basket?

I was going to make some sarcastic comment pretending I was doing something wonderful but fuck it.

My point is remember that your game when the Wallabies played Leicester when Deans was coach? Yeah me either.

The fact of the matter is, it's not a test match and the coach has clearly treated it as such.

If Hodgson captains or even starts next week, that's a different story.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I was going to make some sarcastic comment pretending I was doing something wonderful but fuck it.

My point is remember that your game when the Wallabies played Leicester when Deans was coach? Yeah me either.

The fact of the matter is, it's not a test match and the coach has clearly treated it as such.

If Hodgson captains or even starts next week, that's a different story.
Listen to yourself. He's fucking Captaining the Wallabies. Wouldn't matter if he was running out against Kazakhstan's second 15.

It's a shit load more than any of us have done. And it is a little bit special because he isn't Israel Folau. The code didn't sprain it's neck trying to gob him off. He's a grafter made good. Can't we celebrate that a bit.

T

Train Without a Station

Listen to yourself. He's fucking Captaining the Wallabies. Wouldn't matter if he was running out against Kazakhstan's second 15.

It's a shit load more than any of us have done. And it is a little bit special because he isn't Israel Folau. The code didn't sprain it's neck trying to gob him off. He's a grafter made good. Can't we celebrate that a bit.

My original point was more so regarding the comments about his place in the pecking order now.

But thanks for the self-righteous rant anyway.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
My original point was more so regarding the comments about his place in the pecking order now.

But thanks for the self-righteous rant anyway.

No, go back and read what you originally posted. You never mentioned pecking order. You stated that it was funny people were excited for Hodgson as it is only a tour match. You can't re-write history when you only wrote it 20 minutes ago.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reading a little into the lineup, I'd speculate that the following positions are up for grabs next weekend against Wales:

Lock: I'd say that no Simmons in this team means he'll be starting next week. Horwill, Carter and Skelton are playing off for the other starting role and a bench spot.

Haflback: Genia and White are playing off to be Nick Phipps' backup. Genia starting would indicate to me he's more likely.

Inside centre: To'omua and Leali'ifano are playing off for this one. Despite Lilo's excellent test against the All Blacks, To'omua starting seems to indicate he's being counted as the incumbent.

Outside centre/Wing: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will come back into this side next week. I'm guessing he'll just take Horne's wing spot and Horne and Tomane are playing for a bench spot unless Speight struggles for some reason.

I think Hodgson and McMahon could be playing off for a bench spot next week unless Cheika has thoughts of giving Hodgson a crack at 6.

Hey BH, a bit of changing horses mid-stream here?;) A day or two ago, you were quite adament that Cheika would put out a near full test team for the Baa Baas, but now that his team is missing a goodly number of the starters in the last test, it is apparent that the missing players are almost certainties for the Wales match. Incidentally, I agree that this is most likely right.

I am not sure however that Matt To'omua's inclusion can be taken as clear evidence of him starting at 12. He missed a couple of games due to concussion, and it might just be that Cheika is wanting him to get some game time just to see how he's going. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays with Christian for the Wales test.

I don't think Cheika will change the No9/No10 test starting spots, but damn, if Will and Quade cut the opposition to pieces on Saturday, I'd be more than happy to see them start against Wales. Ultimately, with all players fit, I think Genia/Cooper/To'omua/Kuridrani is our best half and mid-field combination available.

Edit : I sincerely hope Cheika doesn't go with Hodgson at 6. To my mind, playing two 7s at the same time rarely works, not even for Smith and Waugh who were better players than our present 7s. If Hodgson gets a go off the bench it should only be to replace Hooper in the direst of situations imo. I would like to see Jones on the bench covering 6 and 8, but with his absence from this week's game I don't think there is any likelihood of that.

T

Train Without a Station

No, go back and read what you originally posted. You never mentioned pecking order. You stated that it was funny people were excited for Hodgson as it is only a tour match. You can't re-write history when you only wrote it 20 minutes ago.

It as basically "watch people blow their load over Hodgson" or something of the sort.

I noted it was a your game, not a test. I thought that was an important point as it isn't an indication of the test line up.

But I get it, your a precious sand groper who looks for offence in any potential slight on one of your own.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Its actually a 9 10 12 13 combo that went so well on the end of season tour last year.

I have a bit of a theory that Cooper 10 To'omua 12 is much more balanced then Foley 10 and To'omua 12. Where I think Foley 10 Lealifanio 12 seemed to be much better.

Guess it gives you a creative player with a bit of a rock next to them, in both instances.

Guess it's about combinations.

And just who is the rock in the Foley/Lealiifano combination?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If it's all about combinations,then Quade is in fucking trouble.
The 9 & 12 were outstanding in the last Test match against the AB's.
These guys are better than that.
They can perform well with multiple players.
Combinations are way overrated.
Let's just go back to Cooper/To'omua last year,everyone raved about their combination,but they had no history playing with each other.
Play the best 9,10 & 12 as a starting point,and go from there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
the Wallabies will suffer in the locking department for some time yet.
i think their best long-term prospects are Neville, Coleman and Staniforth.

A bit early to call Tom as a Wallaby prospect just yet. IMO the NRC showed he is still a fair way off Super rugby standard atm. Think he will be about fourth in line at the Brumbies for a locking position in 2015.

I do think Neville might make it at the next level.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
A bit early to call Tom as a Wallaby prospect just yet. IMO the NRC showed he is still a fair way off Super rugby standard atm. Think he will be about fourth in line at the Brumbies for a locking position in 2015.

I do think Neville might make it at the next level.

don't be so sure about Staniforth.
he was very impressive indeed on Soup debut against the almost-incumbent Wallaby combination of Horwill and Simmons.

long term, in my view, is 2-5 years.
if you ranked the locks now, not too many of those above Staniforth are more than a 25 per cent chance to be around in 2-5 years.
injuries, GBPs, EURs and JPYs will cut a swathe through Australia's lock stocks before and during the period 2017-2020.

the lock stocks are very poor right now.
Australia is desperate that (1) TGC can weave the magic and get up and keep up Horwill for a year (2) the young turks Neville and Coleman progress (3) the Brumbies develop Staniforth and the bloke who went to RSA for a while (4) Douglas and Pyle return as better players (5) sheer luck strikes and some more locks emerge.

i worry about Neville.
he's a good player with great potential
i see him as a prime target for a European team and i have a feeling that he would go, if asked.

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
don't be so sure about Staniforth.
he was very impressive indeed on Soup debut against the almost-incumbent Wallaby combination of Horwill and Simmons.

long term, in my view, is 2-5 years.
if you ranked the locks now, not too many of those above Staniforth are more than a 25 per cent chance to be around in 2-5 years.
injuries, GBPs, EURs and JPYs will cut a swathe through Australia's lock stocks before and during the period 2017-2020.

the lock stocks are very poor right now.
Australia is desperate that (1) TGC can weave the magic and get up and keep up Horwill for a year (2) the young turks Neville and Coleman progress (3) the Brumbies develop Staniforth and the bloke who went to RSA for a while (4) Douglas and Pyle return as better players (5) sheer luck strikes and some more locks emerge.

i worry about Neville.
he's a good player with great potential
i see him as a prime target for a European team and i have a feeling that he would go, if asked.

What we have is many tyro locks with excellent potential, but none yet performing near test level. Skelton is the closest, but only as an impact sub. Unfortunately our test standard locks are perennially broken, or gone overseas.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's a good looking lineup with Cheika not afraid to rest this seasons tried and true performers.
Looking forward to seeing what Genia and Cooper can do. I would guess they will be our number one halves combination if fit when we get around to the RWC. Also very excited to see Henry Speight finally get his chance at this level. He, Folau and Kuridrani all working together out wide should be interesting.
And lastly the back row looks balanced. Hodgson is an out an out on the baller who can tackle till the cows come home. McCalman also plays in the tight mainly as a 3rd lock and has a high workrate which gives Higgers some license to play a little wider.
Go the Wobs!!

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
this is a disgraceful squad, with the under-representation of Waratah players nothing less than scandalous.
yes, the New South Wales Waratahs, triumphant winners of the 2014 Super Rugby Championship, have been utterly shafted by the terribly biased coach and his staff.

the Waratahs make up 33.3 per cent of the touring squad.
yet, they are selected for only 6 of 24 positions in the match day squad.
that is 25.0 per cent, so under-representation of 8.3 per cent.

worse, far worse, the Waratahs are given only 3 of 15 starting positions.
that is 20.0 per cent, for under-representation of 13.3 per cent.

i don't think i can bear to watch a game where the total bias of the coach has led to dramatic under-representation of the greatest team in .. well .. in ..

it must be a conspiracy

Based on the Waratahs being Twice as Important as any other Provincial
Team, your figure should be 66% / 41% / 26.6% - sorry to be pedantic.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What we have is many tyro locks with excellent potential, but none yet performing near test level. Skelton is the closest, but only as an impact sub. Unfortunately our test standard locks are perennially broken, or gone overseas.

What does that mean?
For 20 minutes he is test standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.