• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@TheBigDog I am not devaluing GPS' efforts in becoming a powerhouse and saying they get free help from the QRU. What I am saying is that there are clubs who don't have to deal with having players guided away from them after putting in hard work to get them. Then again what trainerGB is saying about the QRU could be a misunderstanding, but we will have to wait and see.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
I think you'll find Slats has also jumped ship and headed to Uni for 2015 to head up their Reggies Program with HH.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
To be honest, Brothers would struggle to an extent if Ben McCormack wasn't coach in my opinion. He has a lot of respect at GT and they tend to follow him to Crosby Park. I think the good thing for us, is that he is a real club man, and I strongly doubt he'd go to another club.

We tend to get a few Nudgee, plenty of GT and surprisingly BGS - which wasn't common back in the day.

Norths should tap into Padua and St Pats for players. Brothers get a few from both, but there are plenty who don't continue rugby because there isn't an aligned club to go to.

To my recollection, player alignment to an extent has changed. It use to be;

Brothers: Nudgee, GT and Marist College Ashgrove
University: Whoever
GPS: ACGS and BGS
Easts: ACGS, Iona, Villanova, BSHS
Souths: Villa and SLC
Norths: Teachers
Wests: BBC

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find Slats has also jumped ship and headed to Uni for 2015 to head up their Reggies Program with HH.

True? I heard from a reliable source only yesterday that he would be coaching at GPS with a yet to be named assistant, will be interesting if my source was wrong. I also thought Slats would at least stick around one more year as his connection with GPS helps him with the organisation of the Corporate 10s charity rugby day he hosts at the club.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
To be honest, Brothers would struggle to an extent if Ben McCormack wasn't coach in my opinion. He has a lot of respect at GT and they tend to follow him to Crosby Park. I think the good thing for us, is that he is a real club man, and I strongly doubt he'd go to another club.

We tend to get a few Nudgee, plenty of GT and surprisingly BGS - which wasn't common back in the day.

If Brothers want to hold onto Pup they'll probably have to look at upgrading him in the next year or so. There were ever so slight rumors going around a few months ago that he would be slotting into an assistant job with GPS Prems but they proved false. Still, he probably had a few things in the works. From what I understand his career is essentially coaching and running rugby clinics so obviously hes looking to work up the pecking order and reach a professional level it seems.

Yeh surprisingly a lot of BBC and BGS boys coming back to GPS now, Colts stocks are still predominately MCA but the ratios are changing. Unfortunately for the smaller clubs, mostly Wests, its eating into their player pool.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Re the Super Rugby Player... he contacted the QRU to advise of his intentions to return to Brisbane, and Norths... and it was "suggested" to him that he should consider going to a neighbouring club.

For what ever reasons... who knows... (obviously the elephant in the room is previous results)

But with the way the club has turned itself around in the last 12 months in getting rid of a lot of poison.... having a player of this calibre would certainly add 10+ players to the club roster I feel... which is really what we need.

A small thing to some.... but a massive thing to us.

A very counter-productive move by whoever made the 'suggestion'.
We all know for QRU to be strong we need as many clubs pushing for finals as possible... and not just the 5 or 6 it usually is year in and year out.

Yes our colts coaches have been in to Padua and St Pats already this year (even before the season finished) to develop and rebuild burnt bridges (see previous note about poison!) and the colts program is in excellent hands for 2015 :)

Bring on 2015 down at the nest! It all starts on Tues, 4/11 @ 6pm :)

We may not get the girl in 2015, but I reckon we'll cop a feel!!!

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes our colts coaches have been in to Padua and St Pats already this year (even before the season finished) to develop and rebuild burnt bridges (see previous note about poison!) and the colts program is in excellent hands for 2015 :)
Is the padua and norths relationship gone? Wasn't there 3 or 4 padua boys in your premier team this year trainerGB? Or were they the last lot to come from the school?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
There used to be a strong relationship yes, but nothing as proactive as there is now.

Sent from my mind......

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TrainerGB, out of curiosity, what do you think has been the key factor in terms of getting rid of the poison at Norths? Did the club clean out the coaching ranks?

Andrew Taylor is coaching Prem Colts in 2015 at Norths isn't he? He's a good bloke. Will be interesting to see whether hes up to that role though. I've got no doubts that he can coach but a head coach position in that grade is much more full on than assistant/floating in lower grades teams that hes used to.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Not the coaching staff or players, it was above.

We now have relationships with our juniors which was prevented by previous personality clashes.

We also have a very strong relationship with our Bustards, (old fellas) which again, has been an issue in the past.

Brand new committee, work ethos and commitment at the top which has done, and will continue to flow through in to the playing group.

E.g Senior players helping in the canteen every Friday night at junior training nights. Senior players helping with junior teams.

All minor things yes, but they are making a big difference to the culture at the nest.

Baby steps, but we are getting there.

Sent from my mind......

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Squizzy interviewed really well from all accounts. He advised this year he was interested in moving to the next level and presented a really good plan at the interview apparently.

Along with Ben Travis, there is a real buzz about the colts program next year at Norths.

Sent from my mind......

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good to hear TGB and also good news for Squizz. He's definitely taking on one of the tougher Colts positions in Brisbane but as you posted earlier its good that there are already feelers being sent out at the local schools etc

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Trainer GB, great to hear things are on the up at Shaw Road, as you say it is in the QRU's best interest for it to be a level playing field. Good to see Norths taking the bull by its horns, rather than relying on the QRU for assistance, if its the super rugby player, I think you're talking about, from all reports his family are so grateful to Norths for all they did for him prior to securing a S15 contract that he'd never play anywhere other than norths.

As far as Colts, It makes sense for Norths to tap into Padua and even Nudgee as its right on their doorstep. There were a number of Padua boys playing there over the years who were solid prems players (LaMotta, Ritchie, Purvis...not sure what happened to these guys?) to go with this years crop of Ryan, Ritchie (younger one) and Perez. The St Pats link used to be the more productive one with Schultz, Meehan and company, but those boys I believe are now steering boys towards Brothers.

Valid point about McCormack at Brothers, he's obviously doing wonders having his hand in at Terrace and with the Colts. I'd say he is very ambitious as a coach, only a matter of time before a prems side tries to snap him up, can't see matho leaving soon though, although Zane Hiltons club in Japan needs a coach with Zane returning to the rebels, could Matho head there?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Big LaMotta had a few concussions in 2013 so called it quits, you can't argue with his decision at all.
Dan Ritchie is playing in Canada with younger brother Bart. They are on their way back for 2015.
Purvis and about 6 other Norths Prems players over the last few seasons have spread themselves out in Hong Kong and playing rugby there.
There are also about 5 in Europe.
Would be good to have a few of our boys back that's for sure!! :)

Sent from my mind......

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Easts have lost a lot of fire power from what TT was saying. Unless they recruit well I think they will finish in a similar position to this year.
I really like what I saw from the brothers younger brigade this year and I think they will push hard for a top 2 spot in 2015.
If souths and bond get a few of the players they are chasing they will be with a shot at the top 4 as well.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Easts have lost a lot of fire power from what TT was saying. Unless they recruit well I think they will finish in a similar position to this year.
I really like what I saw from the brothers younger brigade this year and I think they will push hard for a top 2 spot in 2015.
If souths and bond get a few of the players they are chasing they will be with a shot at the top 4 as well.
Sam Fattal keen on Bond TT?

Status
Not open for further replies.