• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

S
To a degree…. Shore often goes to NZ over the summer break for early regattas and let's face it, the Kiwis are probably world best these days in rowing. It's also probably filtered down to every level or rowing over there. Here, RA is in trouble big time after recent World Champs and Junior Worlds results. Scots and maybe one or two schools may also feel the need to follow suit and go to NZ. What seems to work for Shore is that they get crucial 'race' training. When they get back they're ready to race and not just row. The season is short and racers win the HOTR. There's no need for just guts over style in a 2000m race unlike the old 2400m distance.

L

LBA

Thanks heaps for your response. NZ is the place to be and that is apparently where Joeys is headed with Shore for a camp. I don't know much but I agree that there is a huge difference between just rowing and rowing in a race - it would like anything - I could go for a bike ride and enjoy the activity but don't ask me to enter into a bike race.

So if that is the case - Joeys will be training with Shore - and perhaps racing them in NZ not just in the GPS Regatta's. That might make it very interesting come HOR time !! Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. It might be cheaper to take them to Melbourne to train with Scotch College they seem to come and flog Shore. The little tin soldiers can move a boat.

And you are right very disappointing results from RA - what are your thoughts on the Junior eight being selected as a crew not individual rowers - I also heard the Junior eight could not steer straight down the course at SIRC but were selected because of their proximity to the Canberra. Rowing Australia need help if you listen to the volunteers who helped at SIRR nobody is happy.

But I am hearing you - there are rowers and there are rowers who race - big difference - just like in anything I drive a car but I don't race a car. Well I like pink so I am behind Joeys all the way and I think they call it Cerise - so go Cerise and Blue !!

Maybe next year is the year for Cerise and Blue to perform as rowers who race! Not just row.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks LBA,

Some interesting points. Not sure abt Scotch flogging Shore. These 2 schools have dominated the Nationals the last few years and while Scotch have had the upper hand of late, Shore are the reigning champs and I think have won more Nationals overall. They will also have a good crew this year so lets see what happen.

Joeys are definitely on the move and will again test Shore though hope the boys from North Sydney can win the HOR. Should be an interesting season ahead.

MR

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
SHORE to take out the MR again with another strong year group as we nearly always see from shore. As well as David Jennings the super schoolboy coach calling shots, I can't find I reason that they won't be creating strong boat speed. Unlikely they will be as quick as last years national wining crew or even that of 2013 but a very strong contended to take out the AAGPS regattas.

L

LBA

I stand corrected the little tin soldiers did not win the Barrington Cup this year. They won in 2013 and having checked the margins for 2013 and 2014 between Scotch and Shore they were close indeed. So I should not have said flogged !! I think I will save my pennies and buy a ticket to watch up close and personal next year.

The forum has a strong Shore supporter in Alfred - so I am glad I like the colour pink. Having checked the results Joeys has not won for a long time so a win for those boys would be encouraging. Regardless of the coach - they can only select the crew from the boys who attend the school. I am not sure Shore would go out hunting for 182cm boys with a 182 or plus wing span or would they ?????

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Thanks LBA,

Some interesting points. Not sure abt Scotch flogging Shore. These 2 schools have dominated the Nationals the last few years and while Scotch have had the upper hand of late, Shore are the reigning champs and I think have won more Nationals overall. They will also have a good crew this year so lets see what happen.

Joeys are definitely on the move and will again test Shore though hope the boys from North Sydney can win the HOR. Should be an interesting season ahead.

MR
Jennings and Ubergang are the business, though Joeys will match up Ubergang with Shirlaw in the top two fours. Dunno about the VIIIs, with the departure of Doyle and Thomas poached by ISIL, the programme of late May be set back. Good depth in Joeys rowers but maybe starting again. Hear they are going to NZ, so that may get them racing sooner up there. Are ISIL or TKS going?

Reactions: LBA

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Shore have to be strong favourites again this year with Joeys providing the expected opposition.
However the Kings, Scots, Riverview and Newington sheds have, to varying degrees, been transforming with new Rowing Directors, coaches and programmes being put in place. Some of those initiatives started a few years ago and some are more recent.
But they were all done with one outcome in mind...to improve in a big way.
So I'm looking forward to seeing one or two surprises this season.

L

LBA

I think it will be an exciting season - have had confirmation that Lane and Cook are the 1st and 2nd VIII coaches for the Joeys 2 x top crews. It sounds like there has been a lot of movement in the GPS boat sheds compared to other years. I hope things settle down now for the boys so they can achieve the best results possible. If it is like musical chairs it would be hard to remain focussed and to get into a training routine I would think. Don't think Kings are going to NZ just Shore and Joeys. Don't know about the ISIL it would be hard for them to get passports wouldn't it ?? They would be on a watch list for sure.

At the end of day until the bow ball crosses the line it is anybody's race mistakes and accidents happen. Sometimes it might come down to who makes the least number of mistakes on the day - injuries etc could also play apart.

L

LBA

So much for forum cooking with gas !! It will be dead before long. Let's hope the GPS crews have more of a fire in their belly.

Heard that the coaches are doing training and racing on Lane Cove - anybody heard any results ?? Gold Cup will be here before we know it - is it a disadvantage for the boys who have to row around compared to say Riverview who walk down the hill. Any thoughts anybody ??

L

LBA

I have heard it said - that the HOR is the Shore school strutting around like a bunch of proud peacocks before the races have even been started. So it could be like the Gold Cup - I seriously need to go to these events. Do you buy tickets ?

The dog leg in the Gold Cup is tricky for some rowers - has anybody seen the youtube video - "Stop Rowing"- that cracks me up every time.

Not that SIRC has any dog legs but I think all the boys take racing every seriously and are out to be considered athletes who train to race not Promenade around the place - unless it is Shore or so I have heard. I appreciate you comment Inside Shoulder - feel free to post away. They all still need to do well at their studies I assume?

L

LBA

Bugger - I hope you and the rest of the crew and the boat were OK. I feel awful about laughing every time I watch it now.

I hope one day to be able to complete a eights race! Alive and well. Not being carted off in an ambulance.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
So much for forum cooking with gas !! It will be dead before long. Let's hope the GPS crews have more of a fire in their belly.

Heard that the coaches are doing training and racing on Lane Cove - anybody heard any results ?? Gold Cup will be here before we know it - is it a disadvantage for the boys who have to row around compared to say Riverview who walk down the hill. Any thoughts anybody ??
I think the Gold Cup is moving back to its traditional timing. About two weeks before the HOTR.... The usual turn up and do one race or mysteriously no show (but be up Duck Creek) will happen.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
2 weeks before the HOTR as it was in those days. Fair bit of damage no serious injuries.
Poor bloody cox.
I've been in one Gold Cup race where we lost the 2 man out of the boat and another where the rudder broke.... Try doing that pylon without a rudder!!! There's a shot somewhere of the coxswain with his hand in the water trying to bring it around.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hmm - agree with the good coach comment, but challenge how he performs in an GPS environment and coaching an eight is different to U17 quads and SB fours at nationals.

Agree. Kinross is a boutique small-boat operation. On the other hand, in most other sports New has shown that the most important stroke happens when signing the cheque.

Status
Not open for further replies.