• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Still carbonated!
----------------------------

I do wonder what the pressures and FiO2 in Scots' chamber/tent are (presumably variable). I'm guessing that parents wouldn't be thrilled having Little Jack stepping in and exercising in an environment replicating 3000m above sea level, especially the respiratory physicians and cardiologists.

speaking to one of the Scots lads a few weeks ago he said his sessions were about 15-20 minutes long on an exercise bike inside the "Chamber".....more like a glassed in room....and he experienced headaches and slight nausea after each session and then about an hour or so latter that all passed. IIRC think he said they do 2 - 3 sessions a week...

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
speaking to one of the Scots lads a few weeks ago he said his sessions were about 15-20 minutes long on an exercise bike inside the "Chamber"...more like a glassed in room..and he experienced headaches and slight nausea after each session and then about an hour or so latter that all passed. IIRC think he said they do 2 - 3 sessions a week.

Would your Sun Tzu point 5 apply to Heads?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I don't think beer is the beverage of choice any more.
No wonder the game is in trouble in this country.

As generational mentors we have failed them.
Why aren't the youngsters of today (over 18 of course) drinking through straws to accelerate alcohol absorption?
What protective eyewear do they introduce late at night now?
We used to strap on the beer goggles.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As generational mentors we have failed them.
Why aren't the youngsters of today (over 18 of course) drinking through straws to accelerate alcohol absorption?
What protective eyewear do they introduce late at night now?
We used to strap on the beer goggles.
Google Glassing.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
speaking to one of the Scots lads a few weeks ago he said his sessions were about 15-20 minutes long on an exercise bike inside the "Chamber"...more like a glassed in room..and he experienced headaches and slight nausea after each session and then about an hour or so latter that all passed. IIRC think he said they do 2 - 3 sessions a week.

Altitude sickness.

whistleblower

Bob McCowan (2)
Sorry for the reality check, but if Shore follow Riverview into the AFL, as some sort of postured protest against Scots, then it really is time Pulver followed McKenzie out the door. I'd have hoped the brains trust here at GnGR would have had this sussed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry for the reality check, but if Shore follow Riverview into the AFL, as some sort of postured protest against Scots, then it really is time Pulver followed McKenzie out the door. I'd have hoped the brains trust here at GnGR would have had this sussed.
Are you suggesting that riverview took an interest in AFL because of Scots? I think that's unlikeky because they've been playing it for years.
And if shore do offer it surely that just reflects the unfathomable popularity of the game in a city where people have a choice, rather than any failing of BP.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)

Riverview have had a team in the Sydney Football League (now AFL Sydney) colts competition for decades.

Bill Pulver has been in the job for less than 2 years.

But sure, feel free to completely ignore the years following the 2003 RWC, when we completely squandered the cash injection and junior player boom.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^ . . . And the squandering of the RWC03 financial surplus must rank highly in the Top 5 Days of Shame for Australian Rugby.

Things are crook in Tallarook when a squad of 10 five year olds wanting to play 15 games of touch (Walla) rugby have to stump up with an extra $20 per person to subsidise the ARU.

And with Cheika having, understandably, parlayed his luck for a reputed 20% uplift on BPs initial offer, it seems we may be headed for $25. Just as well only toffs play Heaven's game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Shore played AFL in 2014 - they had a 13s team. One would assume that they would have a 13s team and a 14s team in 2015. I don't think it's anything to do with Scots per se, just boys voting with their feet and playing one game in preference to another. Riverview have played AFL for about 100 years, so I don't think the two are related.

The AFL are making a big push into the private school system. Rugby seems to think that its position of pre-eminence in the world of private school sport is unassailable. All of the GPS and CAS schools have significantly broadened their sporting offerings in the past generation - it's no longer rugby, rowing and cricket.

Without doubt rugby is the sport of choice amongst the middle-aged old boy contingent, which perhaps gives the illusion of permanence. However, at 4 out of 8 schools more boys play soccer than rugby and at all schools, more boys play basketball than cricket. When these old boys reach middle age, is it expected that they will suddenly switch alliegence to the traditional GPS sports as opposed to the ones they played themselves at school?

I predict that Shore will be the next domino to fall to soccer dominance, making 5 out of 8. Throw in AFL and rugby doesn't look in a good place - even in its strongest heartland.

But Bill and Michael know exactly what they're doing don't they?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting if true..........

One wonders if the AFL ponied-up some $$$ out of their reportedly (anecdotally, at least) very large marketing budget to gain a foothold at Shore.....

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting if true....

One wonders if the AFL ponied-up some $$$ out of their reportedly (anecdotally, at least) very large marketing budget to gain a foothold at Shore...
I can guarantee you that this is a market that the cross country volley ballers want to break into massively Jaghond.
Look at the parlous state of the only true national game we have with Cricket. It has been plundered by the toothless sodomites that live south of albury to prop up a game that serves no real purpose on our earth.
Any kid in victoria that can bowl a ball that is slightly taller than his peers is signed up with a scholarship to play.
Any kid that can bounce a bbbbbball at school who is over 189cm... Same shit.
One of the silly teams down there signed the son of an Australian bbbbballer,who played Rugby,due to the fact they thought he might do something.
Didn't happen. I hope Shore wake up to themselves because vfl is a blight on our society. The world needs men with shoulders.

Not vfl players

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Or it's possible that it just gives its students an extra sport to play. Rugby is for enjoyment, sport is for enjoyment. We shouldn't feel threatened by Aussie Rules being played in Sydney's GPS. Brisbane's GPS and AIC schools all have Aussie Rules programmes - Jason Dunstall went to Churchie, Jason Ackermanis went to Nudgee (with Elton Flatley and Glenn Panoho), and Mal Michael went to St Peter's. Yet Queensland schools still seem to produce a big share of our finest players (since Mortlock, amd up until Hooper, I believe Elsom, Genia, Mowen, Horwill, and Pockock have captained the Wallabies - all from Queensland Schools). Also, the Perth PSA and Melbourne APS play rugby, and have done for years.
Shore offering Aussie Rules is not the death knell for Australian Rugby, nor is Badminton or Water Polo. It's just offering another option for kids to get out and do something on Saturday mornings.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Or it's possible that it just gives its students an extra sport to play. Rugby is for enjoyment, sport is for enjoyment. We shouldn't feel threatened by Aussie Rules being played in Sydney's GPS. Brisbane's GPS and AIC schools all have Aussie Rules programmes - Jason Dunstall went to Churchie, Jason Ackermanis went to Nudgee (with Elton Flatley and Glenn Panoho), and Mal Michael went to St Peter's. Yet Queensland schools still seem to produce a big share of our finest players (since Mortlock, amd up until Hooper, I believe Elsom, Genia, Mowen, Horwill, and Pockock have captained the Wallabies - all from Queensland Schools). Also, the Perth PSA and Melbourne APS play rugby, and have done for years.
Shore offering Aussie Rules is not the death knell for Australian Rugby, nor is Badminton or Water Polo. It's just offering another option for kids to get out and do something on Saturday mornings.

But do the Brisbane GPS schools "produce" organically enrolled players any more? Aren't most of the stars at the big schools scholarshipped in at Year9/10? After someone else has "produced" them?

If Shore or the other GPS schools in Sydney lose players to Aussie Rules, it will have a significant impact on rugby because the NSWRU/ARU outsourced our elite development to the schools years ago and we now rely on them far too much. In a generation we've lost around half of the boys at GPS schools (more at 4 of the schools) to soccer. We need more boys playing not less boys who have spent time training at altitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.