• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Was watching some clips of Kerevi as well as some of the older NRC matches for City and jeeze does he ever get low when he runs. It's not just that he's powerful, his center of gravity is almost always lower than the tackler as well - he lowers his entire upper body similar to how Brian O'Driscoll did when he would run the ball.
Its almost Unaustralian to have that body position, when will he learn that to be a wallaby you need to stay upright in the tackle to allow the opposition to hold you up and make it a maul?

Seriously though, he seems to have a very bright future and I cant wait to see if he is becoming awesome or if it is the competition he has been facing.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Its almost Unaustralian to have that body position, when will he learn that to be a wallaby you need to stay upright in the tackle to allow the opposition to hold you up and make it a maul?

Seriously though, he seems to have a very bright future and I cant wait to see if he is becoming awesome or if it is the competition he has been facing.

Oh I don't know. Where do you think emuarse came from;)

p.s. note the big 1000 messages milestone for emuarse:)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I haven't seen much of the NRC but what's his pace like? Does he get around good enough to play blindside? What's your view Ash.

Sounds like he would be wasted on the bench but we have a well established international locking combo.

Not fantastic, I wouldn't have him as a blindside unless there's a heap of injuries. The game he played seemed more like a lock than a blindside - McDuling played fairly tight most of the time.

Reds are loaded on blindsides as well: Thomson, Quirk, Tui, maybe Browning. Only one not significantly quicker than McDuling would probably be Browning.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
McDuling looks like he loves the tough stuff and he has a great pair of hands. 2nd row best for him. He is young and Kev is probably leaving in 2016. I rekon he'll get good game time in 2015. The poor bloke has had a horror run with injury he'll do really well now he is fit again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queensland Rugby Union today celebrated the success of its Buildcorp National Rugby Championship sides, with the announcement that eight players have been rewarded with St.George Queensland Reds Elite Development Squad contracts for the 2015 season and beyond.

The up-and-coming players from Queensland Rugby’s two NRC sides were signed along with a number of Queensland Schoolboys stars.

The Elite Development Squad will be overseen by Paul Carozza in his role as program co-ordinator and the addition of 2014 GPS title-winning coach Jason Gilmore of Anglican Church Grammar School, who will be the head coach of the program.

Two spots remain in the Reds’ 2015 Super Rugby squad, with Graham targeting a prop and an outside back for the final positions.

Name Position School or Club Major achievement
Sef Faagase Prop University of Queensland Reds A 2013-14
Joey Fittock Winger The Southport School Australian Schoolboys 2014
Harley Fox Number 8 Anglican Church Grammar School Australian Schoolboys 2014
Michael Gunn Flanker Easts/Brisbane City Australian Schoolboys 2012
Sam Johnson Centre GPS/Queensland Country Super Rugby debut 2014
Adam Korczyk Flanker University of Queensland/Brisbane City Australian Schoolboys 2012
Jake McIntyre Flyhalf Sunnybank/Brisbane City Australian Under 20s 2014
Conor Moroney Flanker St. Joseph’s College – Gregory Terrace Australian Schoolboys 2014
Pettowa Paraka Prop Easts/Brisbane City Australian Under 20s 2013
Izaia Perese Centre Anglican Church Grammar School Australian Schoolboys 2014
Izack Rodda Lock Ipswich State High School Australian Schoolboys 2014
Angus Scott-Young Back row Anglican Church Grammar School Queensland Schoolboys 2014
Tuaina Tualima Back row Brisbane State High School Australian Schoolboys 2014
James Tuttle Scrumhalf GPS/Queensland Country Australian Schoolboys 2013
Brad Wilkin Back row Easts/Brisbane City Australian Schoolboys 2012-13

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
sorry for the format of that, the table didn't come across well.

So we are only targeting one prop? With Faagase and Paraka in the above squad, I am guessing it is likely Talakai or Kite? Probably the former?

With Holmes, Slipper and Daley the only props, right? Seems to leave us short. But I guess relying on Faagase and Paraka.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yes Reg, but on the bright side if Angus continues to develop and we can hang onto him for a little bit he'll be breaking blokes in half come 2018!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Was just coming here to post this. With regard to props, I'm guessing they expect to dip into this squad, seems like it replaces the wts to a certain degree. Maybe the do expect to use Tongan Thor next year?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Beat me to it Reg.
So this EDS is basically a very extended version of what was previously the EPS? Is there still at EPS? Is there and EPS, EDS, WTS, U20's and NRC feeder squad all happening at Ballymore? How does it all fit?!

Somebody please explain

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm glad Reg bought up McDuling on the previous page.

There is absolutely no denying how instrumental he has been in the NRC for city.

I watched him play quite a bit this year, QPR finals and what not, he plays the game with such ferocity, which I personally think would give QLD a very solid edge next year if he gets more game time.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
So we are only targeting one prop? With Faagase and Paraka in the above squad, I am guessing it is likely Talakai or Kite? Probably the former?

With Holmes, Slipper and Daley the only props, right? Seems to leave us short. But I guess relying on Faagase and Paraka.

Hasn't Talakai been injured for most of the NRC? Obviously im not a squad selector but I didn't see enough of him that makes me think he'd warrant a full contract. Kite seemed to be out of favour before Talakai's injury which makes me doubt they'd sign him, he seems to be on the outer at the QRU which is surprising as I thought he was the prop they most coveted prior to the NRC.

I get the feeling the Reds are looking externally for a prop, however, don't know enough about whos available to give examples. It seems like they'd need someone with at least some professional experience.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like seeing the surname Scott-Young among that playing list. I'm assuming he is related? does he bring the same level of aggro?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Part of the benefit of getting great crowds for a few years now. Reds can afford to sign up a lot of the promising youngsters much earlier than they ever could before

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hasn't Talakai been injured for most of the NRC? Obviously im not a squad selector but I didn't see enough of him that makes me think he'd warrant a full contract. Kite seemed to be out of favour before Talakai's injury which makes me doubt they'd sign him, he seems to be on the outer at the QRU which is surprising as I thought he was the prop they most coveted prior to the NRC.

I get the feeling the Reds are looking externally for a prop, however, don't know enough about whos available to give examples. It seems like they'd need someone with at least some professional experience.
And I suppose if they don't get someone external, they could upgrade one of Faagase or Paraka, and refill the EDS spot locally.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
No Jack Payne in the dev squad?

They need a THP, particularly as Holmes may not make the start of the tournament. Faagase can play both sides, Paraka is a LHP. So, Slipper, Daley, Paraka LHPs and Holmes, Faagase THPs with maybe Holmes injured.

Talaki will be there I think, maybe as the last pro contact unless they find another one from elsewhere - but note that Thomson is their marquee player, so the THP would either have to be Australian qualified, or not played Test rugby to be the development player.

29 spots are currently filled.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Was watching some clips of Kerevi as well as some of the older NRC matches for City and jeeze does he ever get low when he runs. It's not just that he's powerful, his center of gravity is almost always lower than the tackler as well - he lowers his entire upper body similar to how Brian O'Driscoll did when he would run the ball.

His ability to swerve at full pace and the low centre of gravity/stability is very reminiscent of Rupeni, NOT that I want to start making comparisons, but it's who always springs to mind when I see Kerevi make a good run. That ability to glide over ground very quickly without seeming to be really pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.