• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm a little bit Swedish on the whole thing. I think there are faults from both ends, the SIRU clubs and the DA.
I too do not buy the DA. I honestly can not remember the last time I bought it. I will look online, usually on a Friday and Monday fro the previews and results. The articles are rather poor in their grammar, knowledge of rugby and just plain bland and boring to read. The young female journo who writes them has a passion for horses, not rugby. Let her cover the trots, where I am sure she would do a great job. The only time the rugby coverage was above average (well above) was when Mick McTaggart wrote the previews and reviews. The main reason we hear more about who Marrar or Osborne or East Wagga sign is very, very simple; MONEY. When the clubs splash out as much as they do, they want coverage to bring in crowds to pay for their 'stars'. SIRU doesn't splash the kind of money that the local AFL or G9 clubs do. Its that simple.
The SIRU clubs need also to shoulder some blame. Wagga City do promote themselves in the media and they do bring overseas players to the competition. Thats about it though. Maybe its in the rugby culture not to promote ourselves as much? I don't know. There is nothing wrong with contacting the DA for a story. One club who I had a very fleeting involvement with a number of years back ( Introducing a defensive pattern during a Pre-Season!) would ring the DA with stories, news etc..
Some of the rumors I have heard this off season would make great reading in the DA though!

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
You're pretty much on the money there "independent". What I have often seen is that the need for personal self promotion is what can often cause a need for a media presence. There is and has never been anyone on the SIRU or old Riverina boards that I know of since the early 80's who has had any type of agenda for self promotion either politically or business wise. From what I can understand this can generally be said for the clubs that I know within the zone. But you never know & that may all change. I for one would be disappointed if this was to ever happen. The coverage of our sport is often not as great as the "others" the sport stories and have nearly always been good news stories. I think alot of the "other" sports stories may not be as "good news" but maybe more "mud raking & polarizing" exercises as these types of stories sell papers. The current sports editor has been using this formula for many years and no matter how hard he and his predecessors have poked stabbed thrusted & parried the wish to response has nearly always been wisely avoided.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well put Indepedent & Almost 2 old - you both bring up points I probably hadn't taken on board. McTaggart moved on apparently when the DA wanted to pay him only about $10 an article which was a joke for the work he put in & he said he had better things to do.The Girl who does the Rugby now is nothing like Pam Whaley who was fantastic for Rugby when she took over from McTaggart, she writes some pretty boring and bland previews & reviews.The answer is that Rugby Union needs a dedicated Journalist like Gropu 9 & RFL & the Farrer League but that is not going to happen whilst Muir stays at the DA

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
We want player and coaching rumors.....
Lets complete the jigsaw.
Whats happening at Tahs. Heard that Palmer is playing next season, does that mean he is not coaching. You're Mate Sam? any truth mate?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
We want player and coaching rumors...
Lets complete the jigsaw.
Whats happening at Tahs. Heard that Palmer is playing next season, does that mean he is not coaching. You're Mate Sam? any truth mate?
I heard that Hugh was very keen on playing in 2015 - possibly as "one last hurrah"?

Skellern going back to coach at Waratahs is the latest rumour I've heard
I'll believe it when I see it. There is a fair history between Hava and the boys in blue, particularly the older ones.

I heard a rumour last year that he was going to coach Junee and play a "consultant" type role for Waratahs but that never eventuated. He definitely loves his rugby, but I think the pace at Junee suits a lot of people out there and they seem to have a good culture going. Bottom line - why leave?

On another note, there is plenty happening in the zone in 2015 with the Brumbies Pre-Season game, NSW CHS Trials in May, Brumbies Provincial Tournament in Wagga in June - I'm salivating already!

Any club anniversaries or the like that anyone is aware of?

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Another year of big player changes at Steamers I believe. From 2013 to 2014 there was 8 missing from the GF run-on 15, I think 2015 there will be around 9 missing! Bright, Hogg, Kora, Hogan, Macdougall, Wilmore etc.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Albury sucked every bit of rugby life out of some of their players in the past couple of years and it will be interesting to see if they have put a plan in place to bring in some new blood in the coming years. If Manion stays at the Steamers they will be competitive again next year but if he moves on they will struggle - simple as that

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
just read that Mick Small has been appointed as City coach next year- Can the Boiled Lollies climb into the Walsh & Blair Cup Competition next Year ?

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
I know only a fool would start to make predictions in October for the following year, but the little bits and pieces which I am hearing indicate that the competition and the make up of various clubs is going to be strikingly different from the 2014 season.
Ag College, Wagga City, Temora and Tumut all poised to make big pushes into the top tier.
CSU are going to be among the battlers, unless of course they have an influx of forwards (either by students or pacific islands)
I am hearing that Griffith will live and die by the decisions of Rogo, Vunibaka and Rawqua, but also could be hurt by the resurgence of one of the league clubs.
I don't believe Albury will be among the also rans, no matter how many players they loose.
Waratahs? They will be strong. It wouldnt be a SIRU comp if they weernt competing for the comp. Im with @yourmatesam on Hava. He has had his time in the sun and I will walk backwards to Bourke barefooted if he coaches the 1st grade!
Ag College primed for a massive comeback into the elite. Players returning, new players, new coach I am told. Can they lure Corcoran and Dave Armstrong back for the 65th Annivesary??

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
my mail is that Temora & Coota may struggle next year to field 2 Teams so I don't know if the Tuskers will be in a postion to make a push to the top comp.Nick McCarthy is the new coach at Ag College & they should improve - It will intersting to see if the Whitely Bros make a comeback if the Club looks like fielding a reasonable side ??

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Not good news for the Comp if Coota and Temora struggle for numbers. It really would be a step backwards if they only had one team each. Fingers crossed it all sorts its self out. Any news out of tumut. Any truth to the Joe Reynolds rumour? If so I can only see Tumut improving again this season.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
my mail is that Temora & Coota may struggle next year to field 2 Teams so I don't know if the Tuskers will be in a postion to make a push to the top comp.Nick McCarthy is the new coach at Ag College & they should improve - It will intersting to see if the Whitely Bros make a comeback if the Club looks like fielding a reasonable side ??

I am hearing that the Ag College lads are going to be strong. A new coach who will demand respect as well as attracting some players to the club, either by returning or new. They will always have depth as from my understanding, they pick up the vast majority of students from campus. I watched them fairly regularly last season and they were not far away from really competing,just probably lacking some experience and on field leadership. What is interesting is that I have heard that two of their three 1st grade coaches from last year will be elsewhere in 2015??

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
As for rugby promotion in the zone, compared to amateur rugby in the UK it is pathetic. Even colts level in the uk have national newspaper coverage for finals. There isn't even a upcoming fixtures/ scoreboard on the side of the road at Bolton park/ connolly rugby park. The facilities there are also dull, bland and fairly poorly maintained or seldom upgraded. There maybe a possible investment there soon? But nothing in the media?

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
As for rugby promotion in the zone, compared to amateur rugby in the UK it is pathetic. Even colts level in the uk have national newspaper coverage for finals. There isn't even a upcoming fixtures/ scoreboard on the side of the road at Bolton park/ connolly rugby park. The facilities there are also dull, bland and fairly poorly maintained or seldom upgraded. There maybe a possible investment there soon? But nothing in the media?

I think that is a good idea at CRP. Why Bolton Park??

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
ah well bolton park is on the highway/main drag. there are both cricket and rules influences that can be seen from the highway. why not have an upcoming rugby fixtures board?? or at connolly aswell even. surely it wouldn't cost much and I'm sure the regional development officer could spend half an hour on a monday updating the board for the week?
there should be a rugby clubhouse at connolly anyway. with a members bar, upgraded changing rooms and a function room. even if two clubs shared the expenses in building/running it. post match functions could be held there. city and waratahs don't play in wagga on the same weekend generally anyway. it could be sponsored to increase funding revenue. "the walsh and blair rugby clubhouse" for example. sure the sponsoring pubs probably wouldn't be impressed but they would still get club related returns on their sponsorship investment. create some rugby history in the zone and put it on show. the sport has to have an attractive culture to attract new players, referees and volunteers, especially when your competing with league and rules who have more money to throw around.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
@rugbyfollower. The question of improvements to CRP relates to the fact that the land and facilities belong to WWCC not SIRU and subsequently ground usage is under the control of the WWCC. There was discussions held with a very well known "sporting club" about 8 to 10 years back but they shied away after they looked into the amount of licensed venues that were within a close radius. The cost of the building was quoted as going to exceed 300k with bar & kitchen. 5 years ago the was a 33k quote for just steel and concrete to extend the current grandstand by 66%. This was without labour or storm water upgrade. You may wish to contact the Community Rugby Manager of SIRU ,Tahs , Wagga Juniors or city if you wanted to know more about the planned upgrade of Conolly that is currently in its early stages & I'm sure they will fill you in.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Why keep banging on about Conolly, WWCC , signs, scorboards etc - these issues only effect a small % of the Clubs in our Comp & the other Clubs in the Zone aren't interested and neither probably are the readers of this Forum. If Clubs promote themselves good on them but have a look at how many of our Clubs don't use their Websites and you'll quickly work out that they are not really interested.I heard the Refs held their Preso Day last Saturday and was wondering if any awards got handed out

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Even after the tooing and froing, I'm still really grateful for what we have in SIRU.

To give some perspective I did some rough counts on player numbers (men) across the SIRU region and come up with the following,

AFL Around 6,000 players
NRL Around 1,500 players
Soccer Around 3,000 players

SIRU Around 600 players

Add to that the fact that Rugby Union has only been a registered competition in the region in reality since the mid '70's (about 40 years old). As opposed to the other 3 sports which are around 70 - 100 years old in the region.

Means we are the youngest competition in the region with the fewest numbers - we are punching above our weight!!!

As for Connolly Park I think it is an absolute gem. I was playing here through the 80's when such a thing was just a pipe dream, and finals were played at the Sportsground with the cycling track, or Eric Weisell, or anywhere else but a Rugby Union home ground.

Sure we could do with more media coverage, more self promotion from clubs, more players in the region but I for one (whilst not resting) am very appreciative of where we are now as opposes to where we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.