• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
No Jack Payne in the dev squad?

They need a THP, particularly as Holmes may not make the start of the tournament. Faagase can play both sides, Paraka is a LHP. So, Slipper, Daley, Paraka LHPs and Holmes, Faagase THPs with maybe Holmes injured.

Talaki will be there I think, maybe as the last pro contact unless they find another one from elsewhere - but note that Thomson is their marquee player, so the THP would either have to be Australian qualified, or not played Test rugby to be the development player.

29 spots are currently filled.

Jack Payne will fill a spot in the Saracens academy since the Reds did not table an offer.
Talakai would be a great pick up for QLD, the kid is a very good player and has put in very solid performances in the tight for BNE. He has been groomed under Sekope Kepu and Paddy Ryan in the NSW program now and IMO he could be a long term prospect for Greg Holmes.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Losing Jonah Placid now Jack Payne - what a waste.

He is nearly 2 metres tall and 116kgs. I'm not saying this because he plays for Brothers, but why would the QRU get rid of a player who is of similar size to Horwill and Simmons and possesses the same attributes? (good lineout jumper, etc.) It just lacks common sense and forward thinking.

Reg has mentioned it a few times and it is very pertinent, its way easier to turn a big man into a good rugby player (forwards) as oppose to a medium size man. Payne is a giant, very technically talented and hardworking.

Its just baffles me, honestly. I was probably more pissed off than Easts supporters when Placid left for Melbourne. Then we lost Harris - an extremely underrated player, now Payne if what you say is true, Intruder.

Furthermore, they offer contract to kids who have just left school!?! Who have no experience, but not to someone who is well regarded talent wise in the rugby community. I'm very please with the high profile signings by Reds HQ in 2015, but this is a backwards step.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't blame the reds for this one. They can't sign everyone. The QRU obviously didn't get rid of him. He's made the decision to leave himself.

I'd like to understand his decision more but it frustrates me when a young player runs away in such a dramatic way. Wow. He's still young. It's as if he felt he was entitled to a pro contract and entitlement is the biggest problem with this generation. Can't get a contract here? Don't bother sitting around and working hard for it just shop yourself around and find it somewhere else.

Now someone will bring up the whole professional rugby thing and "you'd do the same if you didn't get a job - go where the opportunities are". I maintain this is different. Young Jack surely didn't wake every morning with dreams of playing for Sarries. No. It would have been dreams of playing for qld or he wallabies.

Lots of assumptions here on my behalf but on the back of your assumption that the Reds "got rid of him".

Not that clear cut.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Name Position School or Club Major achievement
<snip>
Joey Fittock Winger The Southport School Australian Schoolboys 2014
<snip>
Jake McIntyre Flyhalf Sunnybank/Brisbane City Australian Under 20s 2014
<snip>

NSW born and bred, McIntyre and Fittock are victims of The Reds Kidnap Squad. :(
Might as well add Reece Hewat to that list after he leaves school at the end of 2015.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds cannot keep everyone produced.

The boys want to be professional rugby players for a variety of reasons.

Their preference , I would say, is to play for the Reds. Then elsewhere.

Sometimes the Reds just fuck up because the easy bit is "identifying" a young bloke with talent.

The hard skill is identifying those young blokes who are going to make it at Super level and keeping them. Sometimes those talented kids just don't really have those extra things needed to be a Supper player.

Case in point: young kid (15) from South Australia (UJ ???), identified by some fuckwit from ARU, given some type of contract, schloarship to Southport School, played about 1 or 2 First XV matches placed in Academy blah blah. - was supposed to be the next best thing (at 10 I think) - where the fuck is he now in Australian Rigby.

I know I lost track of the chap - he's fucking probably playing for a champion team somewhere ?????????????

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Look Queensland and NSW create great players.. Your gonna lose some. If you scout well then it won't be a problem

And the rejected ones head to ACT/Melb with a chip on their shoulders and turn into great prospects. Sio, To'omua, Kuridrani, Debrezieni, English etc

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Bloody hell what a big day of footy we've got today. Japan v Maori All Blacks to see how Hendrik Tui Fairs, then drive to ballymore to see Brisbane City win it, Then staying up to the wee hours to watch The dynamic Duos return to test footy against the Baa-Baas, Then finishing off with some all blacks with my breakfast.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And the rejected ones head to ACT/Melb with a chip on their shoulders and turn into great prospects. Sio, To'omua, Kuridrani, Debrezieni, English etc
Theirs no chip just opportunity too play for the wallabies.. Unlike Reds players;)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Enever is a shame, but he got a better offer at the Brumbies. Reds had no room or need for a 5th lock in their squad, and when a spot at the Brumbies is offered Enever took it, well done to him.

The problem for the Reds with locks is that O'Donoghue is just about done, and Horwill may be lost. They may need two new locks for 2015, so the loss of Enever (unavoidable) and Jack Payne (unknown why) is unfortunate.

The positive has been McDuling in the NRC, really hope he carries that form into Super Rugby.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bloody hell what a big day of footy we've got today. Japan v Maori All Blacks to see how Hendrik Tui Fairs, then drive to ballymore to see Brisbane City win it, Then staying up to the wee hours to watch The dynamic Duos return to test footy against the Baa-Baas, Then finishing off with some all blacks with my breakfast.

Where/when is this game being broadcast?

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Where/when is this game being broadcast?

Unfortunately ive just been searching for the past hour and its only being streamed on membership based websites that probably isnt trustworthy or even worth the cost, so im just going to have to use the ultimate rugby app for updates

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Part of the benefit of getting great crowds for a few years now. Reds can afford to sign up a lot of the promising youngsters much earlier than they ever could before
That is great news, but does this mean we could also afford to sign some tight head props?

Young kids for the future is great but we have needs today as well

Status
Not open for further replies.