• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
genuine question, is this a big loss? Was he expected to go League?

Its been known about for a while and I understand he has a league background.
Its a loss in that his formative years as backrower will be spent in a code which does not really teach you anything about angles etc.
Sp if he comes back to heaven's game he'll be 100k(?) richer but will have missed 2 years of learning his position with the big boys.
I would call it a pity rather than a definite loss.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
I saw him play a few times this year. He had a dominant presence on the field and looks an excellent prospect in either code. One of the outstanding, if not the best, players in the competition in which I saw him compete. I will be interested to follow his progress but as we all know schoolboy glory doesn't necessarily lead to senior success.

Any Australian schoolboy can play and I wish him well at the Bunnies and beyond.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think that signing was a done deal a couple of years ago. I wonder if his absence from the team to NZ was less of an injury issue and more of a "he's leaving rugby" decision.

HJ and Lee will tell you they don't look at that.
The problem with "it being a done deal" for a couple of years is that he has been in the Rooster's system not the Tohs.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
definitely not done deal for very long.
He really wasn't in the Roosters system much anyway. He contacted them prior to preseason of this year and said I would like to play. They said OK.
I do not think he was contacted and only played a couple if any games.

I think it was similar to another Scots boy in the Bears SG ball squad, Scots got wind and said you can't do that boys.

He will not be on much $s but will probably get his education paid for which is not too bad.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
HJ and Lee will tell you they don't look at that.

The problem with "it being a done deal" for a couple of years is that he has been in the Rooster's system not the Tohs.

No, they don't overlook players who are going to league. As Br. Bob Wallace, the ASRU President said to me: they used to do that but it was counter-productive.

Now he said they want to give all boys a good rugby union experience and if they leave the code, at least they had a taste for it and some day they may come back.

It's disappointing about Crichton but most of us knew that he was playing SG Ball and then leaving that to play rugby when the GPS season started, as part of his arrangement.

It's the same case as with Moeroa last year - and others.

It's always been the same and always will be. The only question is - how many?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No, they don't overlook players who are going to league. As Br. Bob Wallace, the ASRU President said to me: they used to do that but it was counter-productive.

Now he said they want to give all boys a good rugby union experience and if they leave the code, at least they had a taste for it and some day they may come back.

It's disappointing about Crichton but most of us knew that he was playing SG Ball and then leaving that to play rugby when the GPS season started, as part of his arrangement.

It's the same case as with Moeroa last year - and others.

It's always been the same and always will be. The only question is - how many?

Hopefully not always LG, but certainly for the foreseeable future.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I think that signing was a done deal a couple of years ago. I wonder if his absence from the team to NZ was less of an injury issue and more of a "he's leaving rugby" decision.

The deal was done only this year.
He had a serious injury that required an operation.
He may come back to Union in the future.
The good news is that the league experience will accelerate his physical development, and teach him strong tackling technique.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the lad has gone to the Sydney Roosters not South Sydney.

He was with the Roosters Under 18 side earlier this year for a while. He also played one game with Easts Colts 2 before AAGPS started (or his school "found out").

There are always players moving between codes. About 10% of the boys at Schoolboy National Champs end up in Fivekick when they leave school. Not sure how many come back to Rugby when they don't make the cut for the NRL.

Reminds me of the old saying "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours. If it does not come back, it was never meant to be."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the lad has gone to the Sydney Roosters not South Sydney.

He was with the Roosters Under 18 side earlier this year for a while. He also played one game with Easts Colts 2 before AAGPS started (or his school "found out").

There are always players moving between codes. About 10% of the boys at Schoolboy National Champs end up in Fivekick when they leave school. Not sure how many come back to Rugby when they don't make the cut for the NRL.

Reminds me of the old saying "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours. If it does not come back, it was never meant to be."

Nope - one of my colleagues who is a die-hard bunnies fan sent me the Bunnies press release gloating at the tit-for-tat with Burgess.
Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 7.48.33 am.png

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
He met with the Tahs last month and they told him they were expecting him in the super rugby squad in around about 5 years whereas at South he was promised regular first grade training and possible game time within the next couple of years. Easy decision, if what I've heard is true then it's a very poor call from the Tahs and ARU considering he is one of if not the best player in the age group.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He met with the Tahs last month and they told him they were expecting him in the super rugby squad in around about 5 years whereas at South he was promised regular first grade training and possible game time within the next couple of years. Easy decision, if what I've heard is true then it's a very poor call from the Tahs and ARU considering he is one of if not the best player in the age group.

We've just been through a month of the players calling the shots.
For a backrower to learn the game as an adult I reckon that's about right - but its up to him to accelerate the program and prove them wrong

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anyone know the height and weight of the Aus schools 7 and 8? I'm using Moroney and Fox as a reference for future backrowers but am unsure if they are big men or not.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
I wonder if his absence from the team to NZ was less of an injury issue and more of a "he's leaving rugby" decision.

I understand it was a genuine injury - sustained during the Aussie Schoolboy Squad training camp at Riverivew, a day or so before flying out to NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.