• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer of 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I had the pleasure of attending the Bradman gala dinner last night and hearing both tendulkar and waugh speak. Both were fascinating, Waugh still exudes confidence and competitiveness. Tendulkar was very impressive, its a pity he doesn't speak in public more as his knowledge, perspective and respect and enthusiasm for the game is gripping for cricket tragics.

Anyway its got me fired up for cricket again, and I remembered there is already a far bit on with the final of the matador cup (which GEM has been quietly telecasting, take note ARU FTA coverage is possible!) this week in Brisvegas (Bulls Vs Warriors) and the second test V Pakistan starting tonight. Maybe the less said about the first test the better, it was easily our worse performance in the Lehman era.

The batting order remains unsettled. The Doolan trial continues, but an average of 24 aint going to cut it at number 3. He needs runs, but will probably have to wait for the home series to get more suitbale pitches for him.

1 or 2 changes are mooted for the second test with the big show due to reappear in the team and maybe a fast bowler coming back in for O'keefe. As an aside, last night Tendulkar said India liked to attack Warne when playing in India as they knew that our fast bowling attack couldn't maintain the rage for long enough to be effective on their pitches without Warne bowling lots of overs. Its difficult for us on these flat and hot pitches. 3 quicks seems an all or nothing strategy, but neither Lyon or O'keefe are good enough to bowl us to victory. I would err on the side of playing 3 quicks and hope one of them gets reverse swing.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Worse? About the time we get forced to follow on. Pakistan won't have to bat again.

Pretty ordinary day here as well, sandstorm in the morning just to kick the day off.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't understand why you wouldn't enforce the follow on when you're 309 in front. I guess as a captain you'd ask your bowlers how they're feeling, but I would have enforced it in this situation.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't understand why you wouldn't enforce the follow on when you're 309 in front. I guess as a captain you'd ask your bowlers how they're feeling, but I would have enforced it in this situation.

"This was the first time under Misbah-ul-Haq that Pakistan had the option of enforcing the follow-on, but the captain is likely to have taken the fitness levels of his bowlers into consideration when deciding against it. Despite only bowling 62 overs on the day, they were seen to be exhausted. Imran Khan bowled 11 overs on the day, Rahat Ali 9, Yasir Shah 14, and Zulfiqar Babar 24.4 overs in approximately in two sessions, as Australia were bowled out for 261. That, along with Pakistan's insecurity over batting second and chasing a target, probably prompted Misbah's conservativeness."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-australia-2014/content/story/795209.html

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"This was the first time under Misbah-ul-Haq that Pakistan had the option of enforcing the follow-on, but the captain is likely to have taken the fitness levels of his bowlers into consideration when deciding against it. Despite only bowling 62 overs on the day, they were seen to be exhausted. Imran Khan bowled 11 overs on the day, Rahat Ali 9, Yasir Shah 14, and Zulfiqar Babar 24.4 overs in approximately in two sessions, as Australia were bowled out for 261. That, along with Pakistan's insecurity over batting second and chasing a target, probably prompted Misbah's conservativeness."

They've given Australia a glimpse of a draw as a result. I doubt we're good enough, however.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Yeah it's fair enough I suppose, but an overly conservative option for mine. They didn't really bowl that many overs yesterday and would have had a nights rest afterwards. They're not going to lose the game or draw the series from here so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Misbah has just smashed 50 off 20, Pakistan 519 in front so declaration imminent & unless 2 of your blokes can bat for a day & a bit it's game over, 0-2.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Misbah equals Sir Viv for the fastest test ton.
Axhar Ali also gets a ton. Pakistan declare at 293 for 3.

AUS has a chase of about 3 million to win (603 actually but might as well be 3 million).

Don't think so.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Proteas on your stoep for mik & moer 3 x T20 & 5 x ODIs. Test Top rank now safe but the ODIs will settle the deal.

Sad we dont get any tests. :mad:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Oom is saying that the Saffers are coming to Oz for some hit and giggle games including 3 T20's and 5 ODI's.

Oom Paarlbok says that while the Saffers #1 ranking in Test Cricket is not under threat, the 5 ODI matches should sort out who is the "best team".

He is saddened that there will be no Test Cricket on tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.