• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Final - Brisbane City v Perth Spirit - Saturday November 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Yeah but I've got a reason - I'm actually making a cogent argument.

You're just being a sore winner.

If you say so. I'm sorry I broke my rule of not arguing with strangers on the internet.
As you were almighty one.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can we PLEASE stop the arguing and bitching?!?!

In all honesty, I took a neutral perspective watching this game. And I can admit that City thoroughly deserved to win. No if's, but's etc.

The biggest pleasure was watching club stalwarts get a decent run this year in 3rd tier rugby. The likes of Jack Mullins and co.

It was decent, enjoyable rugby and we are Australian's after all in a pretty dire predicament at the moment regarding performance. Lets just keep building from the foundations upwards.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well done Brisbane City and Perth Spirit for a great Grand Final.

What amazes me is why rugby has really not got behind this great competition and help promote the quality product they have provided us. Peter Fitzsimmons from SMH...where the hell were you....SMH use to be a great supporter of rugby which fits with its target market...but you know what the daily telegraph was only paper which consistently provided news about NRC so screw you SMH.....I will start buying daily telegraph more often.....

As for rest of rugby personalities....where were you....fox sports promotion of game was pretty ordinary....as they could have with every game continued to highlight what rule changes were..why exciting comp (ie next super rugby and wallaby player in waiting....did so more at end of comp but they clearly seemed clueless early in comp how to promote it).

And Tim horan just said 3rd tier rugby...moron....get rid of 3rd tier rugby concept....nrl is not promoted as third tier league...people don't want to hear this is 3rd tier product...if I was nrl or afl or a-league fan I would think why would I bother to watch something promoted as 3rd tier.....why have they not grasped such a SIMPLE concept....are they living in a bubble....do you hear league, AFL or A-League promote something like this which is equivalent as 3rd tier....

This is why I have concerns for future of rugby as run by people who clearly have no idea as had 3rd tier concept continually mentioned and no understanding why this is a problem.....

ARU needs desparately some outside help from some decent consultants...and stop having the old school private school GPS rugby brigade running the show who clearly limit the potential from what is the game played in heaven...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Get your hand off it. "Oh x team beat y team that beat z team so x must be better than y!"

I never said that.

This competition has had a certain element of A beats B beats C beats A about it. It happens with new competitions or new competitors.

But the Spirit were the ONLY team to beat the Rising, who everyone pegged as runaway winners about round 4 when it was clear no-one were going to beat them to the Minor Premiership. AND they did it in Melbourne.

Going back to Shiggins' original point about finishing higher up the ladder: if they'd taken 2nd spot instead of having to travel to Melbourne to win from 4th spot, that is a week of travel they didn't need to do.

Therefore I reckon he's got a genuine point, and the coaching staff will take that into account next year, hopefully with their club squaddies now fully up to speed on what is required to play at this level, they'll aim higher next year and help the Spirit do what the three one-team cities were expected to do: fill the top places.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pfitzy...come on mate...this was a great close GF which home team won.....

Home team always has an advantage....and fact such a close grand final speaks volumes....lets not get into why someone didn't win or not....BC played well and deservedly won in what was a great contest....

Perth Spirit have benefited greatly from this comp.....so they in reality have not been the losers in this case.....as this has pushed them forward WA rugby in leaps and bounds....don't lose sight of the bigger picture.....

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
ARU needs desparately some outside help from some decent consultants.and stop having the old school private school GPS rugby brigade running the show who clearly limit the potential from what is the game played in heaven.

hang on.

didn't BillyPoo tell us a few weeks ago that the ARU had hired a PR company to plug the leaks and do some polishing?
i wonder which is that firm and what its brief is.
BillyPoo won't tell us.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ps in terms of consultants ARU should employ I meant 'marketing' consultants as any marketing consultant would be scratching their head at the current positioning of NRC as "third tier" which clearly shows ARU cf any other major football codes has no idea how to market their product....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I guess that is the point...they need more help than just a PR firm as that does not help them operationally....marketing consultancy is where they clearly need help....NRC is marketed as third tier....morons....

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess that is the point.they need more help than just a PR firm as that does not help them operationally..marketing consultancy is where they clearly need help..NRC is marketed as third tier..morons..

my point is the secrecy about the spinning firm that has been retained.

marketing, as you clearly appreciate, is a different matter.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Really enjoyed the open rugby especially in the first half, and to have it contrasted with the fierce scrummaging and rolling mauls all in the same game was a great advertisement for rugby.
The number of excellent young players was mentioned several times by the commentators. That looks promising.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pr firm...smokes and mirrors..as opposed to spending money on fixing the real problems....marketing....strategy....

I have serious concerns is way rugby run as a professional business if only consultancy they think they need is PR consultancy to help rugby move forward.....David Gallop....we should have appointed you if that is the case...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK this is now getting off topic, but:

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't go near an ARU job right now.

The problem ultimately is that the Wallabies are a separate entity from everything else, and they're not winning right now.

The franchises directly supporting them have no public profile outside rugby people. The NRC and Club Rugby has barely any public profile at all.

But the key point to be made is this:

Other organisations - NRL, FFA, AFL, CA - all have political agendas as well. The difference is their agendas, while still political, only conflict in the method - they still have the same aim of making the sport more powerful through financial means.

In rugby, the agendas seem to have no bearing on a successful outcome relating to improving the net position, but just to score fucking useless political points at the expense of someone else, and the game as a whole.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think you are right
OK this is now getting off topic, but:

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't go near an ARU job right now.

The problem ultimately is that the Wallabies are a separate entity from everything else, and they're not winning right now.

The franchises directly supporting them have no public profile outside rugby people. The NRC and Club Rugby has barely any public profile at all.

But the key point to be made is this:

Other organisations - NRL, FFA, AFL, CA - all have political agendas as well. The difference is their agendas, while still political, only conflict in the method - they still have the same aim of making the sport more powerful through financial means.

In rugby, the agendas seem to have no bearing on a successful outcome relating to improving the net position, but just to score fucking useless political points at the expense of someone else, and the game as a whole.

Sadly pfitzy you have probably highlighted why rugby is struggling....as other football codes have at the heart of its (political) agenda about growing the game....unfortunately in rugby circles they have not seemed to have harness this common purpose as well as other football codes....

Sad really....as don't think product is the issue...as worldwide growth of game shows..but rather internal politics and lack of professional sporting administration and structure (still not come out of amateur era of old boys gps private school mates club running the game).....

Probably need to do what A-League done and appoint senior person who is non rugby person but professional sporting administrator to help turn around rugby's fortunes...unfortunately current politics of rugby would mean the David Gallops of the world would not survive (which A- League is thankful for)...

Australian rugby is certainly at a crossroads.....and CHANGE is definitely needed.....hope change happens before it is too late....

T

TOCC

So I thought I'd pop in to read a few comments about today's game, instead there's a whole lot of petty fighting and completely off topic posts..

Congrats to Brisbane City, I thoroughly enjoyed the parts of the game I could watch and hope this is the first of many NRC Grand Finals.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This thread is like a grease trap. I might sell some of you off for biofuel, if I thought there was a bloke who wanted to run his truck on shit!
Anyway, well done to the victors.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Some Photos from tonight.
SSM_6014.jpg
SSM_6015.jpg
SSM_6016.jpg
SSM_6045.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.