• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Wobs are not far off a scratch team and are a scratch team with this coach.
I'd take the Baa Baa's with 49.5 points start: Sportsbet is only offering 20.5 and you can get $1.40 on Australia winning by more than 13 - a certainty per Biffo

a team with 12 starters who have trained and played test rugby together this year is a long way from "scratch", a very long way - a business class intercontinental flight away.
the first of the other three who have not played a test this year is Speight, who's hardly in a cog position in the machine, is playing outside his Brumby centres and has spent plenty of time in camp.
the remaining two are blokes named Genia and Cooper - from which park did TGC pick them up?

this is a full-on, proper Wallaby team in great physical condition, coming off a one-point loss to the AIGs.

back to betting, the bookies should be sectioned for offering 1.40 about the Wallabies winning by 13+.
that is a huge price.

in other betting, i looked up the odds of the Wallabies winning their tests in Europe this month:

all four: 6.00
three tests: 3.75
two tests: 2.75
one test: 4.00
no test: 9.00

i fancy four test wins, but 5/1 about something the Wallabies have very rarely achieved is under the odds.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Typically in these games the Barbars compete well early but as the game wears on the cohesion and combinations of the test team come through.

From what I've heard, it's not that the game wears on their cohesion but getting on the piss pretty hard in the lead up to the match.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
From what I've heard, it's not that the game wears on their cohesion but getting on the piss pretty hard in the lead up to the match.

yes, indeed.
if you look at the Barbarians as they emerge for their games, there are usually signs of their having gone through a heavy training week, with no evidence of tapering.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
a team with 12 starters who have trained and played test rugby together this year is a long way from "scratch", a very long way - a business class intercontinental flight away.
the first of the other three who have not played a test this year is Speight, who's hardly in a cog position in the machine, is playing outside his Brumby centres and has spent plenty of time in camp.
the remaining two are blokes named Genia and Cooper - from which park did TGC pick them up?

this is a full-on, proper Wallaby team in great physical condition, coming off a one-point loss to the AIGs.

back to betting, the bookies should be sectioned for offering 1.40 about the Wallabies winning by 13+.
that is a huge price.

in other betting, i looked up the odds of the Wallabies winning their tests in Europe this month:

all four: 6.00
three tests: 3.75
two tests: 2.75
one test: 4.00
no test: 9.00

i fancy four test wins, but 5/1 about something the Wallabies have very rarely achieved is under the odds.
All of that equates this team to the first team of the year.
Who have they lost first tests to in the last 5 years?
Having said that I've taken some of the $1.40

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Who have they lost first tests to in the last 5 years?
Having said that I've taken some of the $1.40

1. everyone - well, almost - but this is not a first test, it's two weeks after their last
2. so have i. amazing odds. we ride together.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Tomikin you know, I think Lilo was superb - better than any game he has played for the Wallabies and up there with his startling form at 10 for the Brumbies a couple of years back. He seemed to just click; his attacking lines and tackling reads were magic. Almost, almost reminiscent of Conrad Smith - he was just there, in the right place, making the difference.

I am a fan of Matty To'omua's (at 10 or 12), but if Lilo keeps bringing that. Well one thing is for sure, some hot competition in the 10 12 stakes and 13 isn't so shabby with Mr Super Utility AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) able to turn in strong games at 13, wing or FB.

Finally having a midfield that really clicks is great news for us in my opinion. Two signs I look for in a great team is exceptional locks and a great centre pairing. We don't have exceptional locks, not yet anyway, but the centres are looking the best we have had for many years.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cannot wait for a certain A. Thomson to unleash!!!

Thompson.jpg

(telepathically: Yes, you know I'm going to kill you.)

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Lilo played well, but it was marking Fekitoa - who has barely played 2nd five in his life, and a poor defender in that position.
I think that should be kept in mind.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lilo played well, but it was marking Fekitoa - who has barely played 2nd five in his life, and a poor defender in that position.
I think that should be kept in mind.

Never thought of that. Interesting, He still put in some very good defensive reads and big hits. So I think defensively he shouldn't be marked down. Although his attack probably benefited from having Fekitoa marking him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
TK doesn't seem too interested in singing the national anthem.
Didn't know the Barbarians had an ascribed nationality?

Status
Not open for further replies.