• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Foxtel does not want it, nobody else will pay for it, certainly not the ABC or SBS.

Facts, chaps. The ABC only shows the SS live in NSW and the ACT, and I am pretty sure that the NSWRU has to pay for it.

There is absolutely no chance of bundling Super Rugby with anything except on Foxtel. There is no way that any FTA Channel would want the Soup, other than maybe one game a week. The highest rating game. Which our SANZAR partners are hardly likely to accept, because it would reduce the financial pie.

IMHO the ARU should stick with the NRC for one more season, and if Foxtel won't pay for it, that's tough, but understandable.

If all senior clubs, as well as the Soup franchises got off their butts and backed this venture seriously and creatively- especially in terms of promotion, we have a chance of survival. Only a chance.

T

Train Without a Station

Wamberal, pretty sure the ARU actually pays for the broadcasting of the NRC.

As for the ratings, foxtel can't be that surprised. They advertise the shit out of international and super rugby, I'm yet to actually see an NRC advertisement on foxtel.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If Foxtel does not want it, nobody else will pay for it, certainly not the ABC or SBS.

Facts, chaps. The ABC only shows the SS live in NSW and the ACT, and I am pretty sure that the NSWRU has to pay for it.

Yeah the commentators with the ABC are pretty good* and the BarTV guys, while enthusiastic, aren't quite there yet for the SS audience.

Something will work out I'm sure.

* Except Papworth. He shits me.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Foxtel pays the ARU to show the NRC and Foxtel is a sponsor. Crowd of 7900 announced tonight which looks great on TV.
To be fair Fox have been promoting the NRC a bit which is more than I can say of the ARU, NSWRU and Shute Shield clubs in my area. Good game tonight which gives promise for next year.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I haven't been able to find anything either.
Google "pulver and his cohorts must go" it's in the second half of the article.

Relevant part below

"As for Pulver's baby, the National Rugby Championship appears doomed.

The concept has some merit, but was rushed and badly organised. Talk to the NRC clubs, and they constantly complain about the lack of direction or any form of support from the ARU. The NRC provinces, which have taken on a huge financial risk, have been sold a dud, and due to terrible viewing figures, the word is strong that Fox Sports has already wiped it off their schedule for next year. So goodbye NRC."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

That's what Bris city should be targeting for regular season crowds in the future.

It's shown that there are that many people who are interested in seeing it live. Club rugby grand finals get more numbers as there are no other competing games in the city, this is not the case anyway for NRC. In addition the NRC final in the first year doesn't hold the prestige to get people to attend it as an event.

Encouraging signs for Brisbane city.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's what Bris city should be targeting for regular season crowds in the future.

It's shown that there are that many people who are interested in seeing it live. Club rugby grand finals get more numbers as there are no other competing games in the city, this is not the case anyway for NRC. In addition the NRC final in the first year doesn't hold the prestige to get people to attend it as an event.

Encouraging signs for Brisbane city.

Been really impressed with the City crowds and the QRU's efforts in general. I'll be pretty happy the crowd average makes it up to 5000 next year. Interesting there were no memberships on offer this year, I wonder if that'll change next year. After good crowds each week and a tournament win you'd think they'd be a good chance of getting 1500+ members, which has otherwise been the crowd target for most games in the comp.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Being the playing-through Champions won't hurt either, everyone loves a winner. Expecting Marto to go big on this tomorrow morning on MMM, bloke never saw a bandwagon he didn't wanna jump on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brisbane City and Rising have both got consistently good crowds...read somewhere ARU props up Rebels to tune of $8m a year...not sure why as they seem to have good crowds of 10k plus per game for super rugby........and 2k average attendance for rising games....ARU pays for travel for NRC so not sure why Rebels would not be in healthy position..sorry should post this on rebels thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.