• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Got it:

While they're warming up, everyone go and stand in a split formation for kickoff, and after the first stanza, everyone taps their wrist like they're wearing a watch, and that look that your least favourite teacher had when you weren't moving fast enough.

On a serious note: wonder what Cheika will do? The players pretty much powwow over what their approach will be, and the current one of standing together in a pack is OK.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
A haka was only performed when touring right up to the late sixties or into the seventies, [can't remember exactly when they started doing it in NZ]. Mind you they were probably too embarrassed to perform it in New Zealand. It wasn't until Tane Randall said that if it was to be done,then it should be done properly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow - the place is packed - that must be some Hell of an Event!

In the end, I think it shows the nonsense of the whole thing - nothing to do with playing Rugby.

Yeah, the crowd at that exhibition international rugby league match really shows what "nonsense" it is............... :rolleyes:

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
That's the one I described earlier as gratuitous. I think it's probably a bit over the top. The Haka is the team doing their thing. Not a bunch of guys in traditional dress standing in front of them poking sticks at each other.

I think that was almost an old-fashioned shark jumping.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A haka was only performed when touring right up to the late sixties or into the seventies, [can't remember exactly when they started doing it in NZ]. Mind you they were probably too embarrassed to perform it in New Zealand. It wasn't until Tane Randall said that if it was to be done,then it should be done properly.

I think you'll find that Buck Shelford led the first home soil haka in the mid '80s and Hika Reid was the first to insist that it be done properly earlier in the '80s.

Loose English translation of ka mate:

’Tis death! ‘tis death! (or: I may die) ’Tis life! ‘tis life! (or: I may live)
’Tis death! ‘tis death! ’Tis life! ‘tis life!
This is the hairy man
Who brought the sun and caused it to shine
A step upward, another step upward!
A step upward, another... the Sun shines!

This relates to a very specific event in the life of Te Rauparaha who was clearly a better warrior chief than poet. God knows how it came to be adopted by first the NZ Natives in 1888 & the AB from 1905 onwards but I'm guessing the dominance of the northern tribes in general & Te Rauparaha's in particular probably had a fair bit to do with it.

Equally loose English translation of kapa o pango:

Let me go back to my first gasp of breath
Let my life force return to the earth
It is New Zealand that thunders now
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The passion ignites!
This defines us as the All Blacks
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The anticipation explodes!
Feel the power
Our dominance rises
Our supremacy emerges
To be placed on high
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
Silver fern!
All Blacks!

This is based on a haka written in the '20s & referencing the volcanic etc forces that shaped & continue to shape the land & the people who live on it. It was revived & updated in 2005 as something specific to the AB.

I grew up with ka mate but on the whole prefer KOP. How anyone chooses to respond to either is up to them.
image.jpg

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah, the crowd at that exhibition international rugby league match really shows what "nonsense" it is..... :rolleyes:

Right. so - let me get this straight... It MATTERS whether it is done at a Rugby LEAGUE or a Rugby UNION Match??? Don't make me larffff....

In any case - to explain plain english - the comment about it showing what "nonsense" (thanks for quoting) it is - referred to the naked bloke with the conch shell, and the inexplicable people running about on a Rugby (League) pitch with Spears!!! What a complete and utter nonsense! Next thing, you will be telling me that its OK for the Maoris to do the Haka, but not ok for the Aboriginals to get a bunch of 'showmen' on the pitch (which they curiously stand behind I notice) to run about with Spears....!

Sounds alot like that Sense of Entitlement that someone was discussing earlier.

And before you accuse me of being "Silly" agan - I recall the Springboks pulling some similar stunt just a few years ago... was it against Samoa? Tonga? Fiji? - no, they hardly ever play them, Yes! - it was against the All Blacks...

To Quote an Expert, and a Poet: "They can do whatever they like at home but it's a load of shit that Unions let them do it at away games. The ARU should be looking to get every advantage it can, make them do it in the sheds or just ignore them and practice goal kicking ffs"

'ffs' - is olde English for 'For Fuck's Sake'. I think its Celtic.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I've never understood the ÍRB's stance on the haka.

I'm no cultural expert, but as far as I know, it's a Maori tribal war challenge, that each tribe would perform before battle.

So, why the fuck are we not allowed to challenge the 'pre battle challenge' in whatever way each person deems acceptable?

Someone does a pre battle tribal challenge, you're fucek SUPPOSED TO RESPOND!!!

How much better is it when the Frogs say 'Fuck your English based IRB regulations, we will stand on halfway and make Ali Williams look like a confused boy, before we beat his arse into the ground, win the quarter final, and then go smoke Gauloises and drink Cognac'

?????

jps

Frank Row (1)
Maybe the Wallabies should get out of their trakies to face the Haka perhaps a drummer at home in Gold to drum them out to face the haka dum dii dum dii dii dii dumm crossed arms elbow to elbow aka the All Blacks respect the culture but here we are, lets go, lets get it on then drumming before the kick off. When you watched the Eden park test there was flags fireworks haka explosions then that game, the Wallabies have to take control before the kick off.

jps

Frank Row (1)
Right. so - let me get this straight. It MATTERS whether it is done at a Rugby LEAGUE or a Rugby UNION Match??? Don't make me larffff..

In any case - to explain plain english - the comment about it showing what "nonsense" (thanks for quoting) it is - referred to the naked bloke with the conch shell, and the inexplicable people running about on a Rugby (League) pitch with Spears!!! What a complete and utter nonsense! Next thing, you will be telling me that its OK for the Maoris to do the Haka, but not ok for the Aboriginals to get a bunch of 'showmen' on the pitch (which they curiously stand behind I notice) to run about with Spears..!

Sounds alot like that Sense of Entitlement that someone was discussing earlier.

And before you accuse me of being "Silly" agan - I recall the Springboks pulling some similar stunt just a few years ago. was it against Samoa? Tonga? Fiji? - no, they hardly ever play them, Yes! - it was against the All Blacks.

To Quote an Expert, and a Poet: "They can do whatever they like at home but it's a load of shit that Unions let them do it at away games. The ARU should be looking to get every advantage it can, make them do it in the sheds or just ignore them and practice goal kicking ffs"

'ffs' - is olde English for 'For Fuck's Sake'. I think its Celtic.

jps

Frank Row (1)
I think you'll find that Buck Shelford led the first home soil haka in the mid '80s and Hika Reid was the first to insist that it be done properly earlier in the '80s.

This is the hairy man
A step upward, another. the Sun shines!

This relates to a very specific event in the life of Te Rauparaha who was clearly a better warrior chief than poet. God knows how it came to be adopted by first the NZ Natives in 1888 & the AB from 1905 onwards but I'm guessing the dominance of the northern tribes in general & Te Rauparaha's in particular probably had a fair bit to do with it.

And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The passion ignites!
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
Feel the power
Our dominance rises
Our supremacy emerges
To be placed on high
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
Silver fern!
All Blacks!

This is based on a haka written in the '20s & referencing the volcanic etc forces that shaped & continue to shape the land & the people who live on it. It was revived & updated in 2005 as something specific to the AB.

I grew up with ka mate but on the whole prefer KOP. How anyone chooses to respond to either is up to them.View attachment 5592

jps

Frank Row (1)

This is the hairy man
A step upward, another. the Sun shines!

And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The passion ignites!
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
Feel the power
Our dominance rises
Our supremacy emerges
To be placed on high
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
Silver fern!
All Blacks!

I grew up with ka mate but on the whole prefer KOP. How anyone chooses to respond to either is up to them.View attachment 5592

jps

Frank Row (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.