• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Raise the Junior Rugby levy. Problem solved*.

*Short term thinking, bean counting Accountant's solution.

T

Tigers Tale

Any 1st grade or good 2nd grade half back or centre interested in playing for a strong USA club team?

The USA season is short Jan-May, good comp with good opportunity. You will have time to return back to play in Brisbane club rugby by round 4.

Good package for the right candidate.

Send private reply if interested.

Thanks

Sounds like a job for Chuckie Mullins

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jesus, you want to keep a hold of him, TT. A successful Easts 2015 campaign is becoming harder with some of the player you've lost.

And I imagine you now cannot rely on your annual Gold Coast poaching trip, due to them ramping up their rugby program.

But, I do know Easts will be competitive, especially with some of the talent in the forwards.

For Easts I think how the draw pans out will be crucial, playing University and Sunnybank early on in the season would be helpful.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Well done and congrats to Sean McMahon in respect to Wallabies debut this evening. Go hard and go strong young man. Proof you can succeed at the highest level and yet be over looked as a schoolboy recruit and a scholarship holder (mum and dad paid full fees) nor part of the Reds U20 talent ID program (bad miss that one, someone should ask why?).......

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
It is true GPS are losing one of their front rowers next year to a club down south??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Tigers Tale

Kite to Canberra.

What are the GPS options to cover for the loss of Phil Kite?

He will be a big loss because like some of the other Bne City front row options he really enhanced his reputation in the NRC.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What are the GPS options to cover for the loss of Phil Kite?

He will be a big loss because like some of the other Bne City front row options he really enhanced his reputation in the NRC.

There were two other GPS front rowers selected for the NRC - Fred Burke and Ryan Freney. Assuming they both stay at Yoku it means there should be sufficient cover. A lot of people thought the Gallopers would falter in the forwards when JP and Ruan Smith moved to Canberra as well but since then the team as a whole has arguably gotten stronger so I think it'll be ok.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Davey Feao has matured a lot this year as a prop. Good skills, strength and surprising pace. Seems like he's been around for years, but I'm pretty sure he's still only 23 or 24.

Yeh he has really come a long way in the last few years and as you say hes only 24. From memory he actually played as a blindside flanker (and occasional hooker) in HS and then made the proper transition to front row during his Colt days.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Well done and congrats to Sean McMahon in respect to Wallabies debut this evening. Go hard and go strong young man. Proof you can succeed at the highest level and yet be over looked as a schoolboy recruit and a scholarship holder (mum and dad paid full fees) nor part of the Reds U20 talent ID program (bad miss that one, someone should ask why?)...

Not taking away from the sentiment of congratulations, there is a slight revision of history there.

McMahon played QLD and Aussie schools in grade 12, winning a swag of awards along the way. A few weeks later in some park footy warm up 7s tournament, playing for a some random team, he was identified by the Aussie 7s set up. By the end of the year he was contracted to and playing for the Aussie 7s at 17 and days after finishing high school (as a legitimate U17 player, not a repeater).

Like all 7s players (and why I think we still struggle) he kept seeking a 15s contract, unlike may of the other he received interest in the first year he was out of colts in QLD age groups.

Very few colts age backrowers get full Super Rugby contracts, and 7s is always going to pay more and over rule a academy spot. He was never in a chance to be in the Reds program as since he was in school, he has been contracted to the 7s program nor would he have taken a spot of our contracted back rowers, many of whom are only a year or two older (though I'd certainly have him over a few of them).

So really as far as forwards go McMahon would be up with Pocock and Gill in terms of their immediate success and professionalism post school. All three hold a "youngest" player record, but I think McMahon required few Super rugby caps to reach Wallaby level.

Status
Not open for further replies.