• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The best response to the haka is to beat The Darkness.

Job Done. Nothing to see here, move on please.

When Bill the Third is back in Sydney locked up in the ARU trophy Cabinet alongside the Bledisloe, then who cares. Let the NZL team wave hankies around with bells on their ankles while they Riverdance around the May pole for all I care.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
How about the Wallabies form a kick line like The Rockettes during the haka?

Rowdies_chorus_line_kick_with_rockettes_631660000_20130531182732_320_240.JPG

Personally, I'd want to see Benn Robinson and Sekope Kepu do this.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
How about the Wallabies form a kick line like The Rockettes during the haka?

Rowdies_chorus_line_kick_with_rockettes_631660000_20130531182732_320_240.JPG

Personally, I'd want to see Benn Robinson and Sekope Kepu do this.

if you really want to do that, go look through the Tahs' videos.
there is some great athleticism by FatCat - better than what's in the picture you posted - and Kepu is not at all poorly balanced.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
if you really want to do that, go look through the Tahs' videos.
there is some great athleticism by FatCat - better than what's in the picture you posted - and Kepu is not at all poorly balanced.

I know! That's why I'd like to see them do it -- for the sheer inconceivableness.

Did you catch the Sky commentary when FatCat scored against the Barbarians? They described his "chunky presence."

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Apart from the PI nations, what I find interesting is that it's rare (ever?) to see a country look aggressive in response to the haka.

You get smirks, you get death stares, you get awkward slow advancing, but not really any aggression from the opposition. What stops opposition teams from doing that? Is it fear of something? Fear of not being able to pull it off? Fear of coming off second best?

Anyone come across any clips of teams (or even an individual) showing some aggressive looks/actions as the haka is being performed?

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Apart from the PI nations, what I find interesting is that it's rare (ever?) to see a country look aggressive in response to the haka.

You get smirks, you get death stares, you get awkward slow advancing, but not really any aggression from the opposition. What stops opposition teams from doing that? Is it fear of something? Fear of not being able to pull it off? Fear of coming off second best?

Anyone come across any clips of teams (or even an individual) showing some aggressive looks/actions as the haka is being performed?

What would being aggressive in response look like?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why are there mascots, half time entertainment, guys on the loud speaker, music, raffles, interviews with the crowd, a man in an Akubra and Guitar, etc etc, all that has "nothing to do with rugby" and yet we see it over and over again. "Rugby" at the highest level is not just about the 80 minutes with the guy with the whistle.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
the chup will be wailing for rispuct for 1,000 years.
doesn't the sub-editor at the Chicago Sun-Times have any idea of the force of the wind he has sown?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
What would being aggressive in response look like?

man agressive.jpg
agressive dog.jpg

I think there could be good reasons why we don't see overt aggression in reply, but I find it surprising that we hardly ever (never?) see it in reply - apart from the PI nations of course. I can see why we don't do a war dance in reply or express aggression in the SAME WAY as the 'haka-facial expressions'. But aggression is a universal expression. Anyway, I'm just curious.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Chicago Sun-Times gets it right::)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11352363

Don't worry about the haka. There are bigger fish to fry for Kiwis.
Dusrespuct comes from the sub-editor, and it's not about the haka. Is this the ultimate insult for them. Take it away:-
"Sell-out crowd watches legendary Aussie team dominate Americans"

Meh, so some Yank sub-ed doesn't know the difference between NZ & Oz, not surprising given our flags are a 90% match & we both sound Canadian or something to their ears. Hardly the ultimate insult, at least they didn't call us Sethfrickin, French or fuckin' Pom.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fleet Street also claiming that the NZRT "aura" does not exist either.

Must be a game vs the Soap Dodgers coming up.:)

Still want to see them whip out a quick but respectful Morris Dance in reply to the haka.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
View attachment 5604View attachment 5605

I think there could be good reasons why we don't see overt aggression in reply, but I find it surprising that we hardly ever (never?) see it in reply - apart from the PI nations of course. I can see why we don't do a war dance in reply or express aggression in the SAME WAY as the 'haka-facial expressions'. But aggression is a universal expression. Anyway, I'm just curious.

So apparently Richard Cockerill from Engalnd in 1997 showed a bit - though it's hard to see in the clip

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
So i was watching the England Vs The Dominating Evil Rugby Empire. I can't help but be impressed with the England supporters singing Swing Low during the Haka.

So why don't we do this with Waltzing Matilda?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Because we (well I do anyway) want to witness the song and dance.

I also believe that if we started singing Waltzing Matilda right off the back of the haka (assuming everyone gets involved) it would be far more effective.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yeah either way i reckon. I just think that given their recent dominance why shouldnt every country have something of cultural significance to observe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.