• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Climate Change Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Warren Mundine is a dick, but even so I'm not sure what you're saying here Runner.

To be clear (yet again), many people who are deeply committed to climate change solutions are also strong supporters of nuclear power. I am one of them. I believe that modern nuclear power plants are incredibly safe and incredibly reliable and would be an excellent choice for Australia.

However, I do accept that this is still a minority view, and I don't think it'll ever happen, and we still have to have a 100% clean energy future in Australia. It's been shown that we can do it and we can afford it (and we must do it and therefore must afford it) using wind, solar, biofuels, hydro and some back-up gas (therefore less than 100% clean). It will cost more than doing it with nuclear, but that's the democratic choice of the people.

So you can pretend there's some hypocrisy and this is a gotcha point (which I why you keep raising it), but it simply isn't. The Greens are wrong but they're not representative of all greens in this country, and I am (along with lots of people) living proof of that. So you could drop this line of attack? Otherwise, your only claim can be that only the Green Party speaks for climate change policy, and even you know that's not true.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Warren Mundine is a dick, but even so I'm not sure what you're saying here Runner.

To be clear (yet again), many people who are deeply committed to climate change solutions are also strong supporters of nuclear power. I am one of them. I believe that modern nuclear power plants are incredibly safe and incredibly reliable and would be an excellent choice for Australia.

However, I do accept that this is still a minority view, and I don't think it'll ever happen, and we still have to have a 100% clean energy future in Australia. It's been shown that we can do it and we can afford it (and we must do it and therefore must afford it) using wind, solar, biofuels, hydro and some back-up gas (therefore less than 100% clean). It will cost more than doing it with nuclear, but that's the democratic choice of the people.

So you can pretend there's some hypocrisy and this is a gotcha point (which I why you keep raising it), but it simply isn't. The Greens are wrong but they're not representative of all greens in this country, and I am (along with lots of people) living proof of that. So you could drop this line of attack? Otherwise, your only claim can be that only the Green Party speaks for climate change policy, and even you know that's not true.

Much of what you have said I can agree with. Many contributors place news items here from some sources to inform. That is my point. There are alternative voices to the chorus.

In a democratic world sometime propoganda wins and needs to be countered like racicsm, sexism etc.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here is a good explanation of the benefits of carbon dioxide.

It also highlights the poor record of the global warming computer models.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I used to support nuclear power but one thought struck me. If we are trying to clean up the planet, why would we opt for a solution had posses such a large legacy issue in the form of spent fuel?

With the exception of nuclear, I totally agree with you. The major thing for me is we are climatically blessed winy many options for renewable's on a grand scale. What I think could be the Elephant in the room is the transmission infrustructure on a national scale. We don't have a truly national grid where we can exploit the renewable energy potential of central Australia and this could be the modern day differing rail guage scenario the Australia has grappled with since federation.

A government with the will could use it's section 51 powers under the constitution to overcome this.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

This says nothing. It is a plain critism of Abbott but makes no reference to the FACT that the statements by China and USA, well canvessed here already, will produce NOTHING. Abbott says lets have agreement in Paris but that will not happen. It will be another Copenhagen as China and the Republicans have both made their positions clear.

Republicans NO. China lets have a chat or think about a chat in 2030.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Lets have a realistic look at some of these claims in the article.
  • Thatcher placed global warming on the international agenda. Yes. But on her retirement she walked back from her position strongly, yet the Herald article does not mention that tidbit.
  • Lord Deben criticises Abbott but the article does not mention Deben is a paid consultant in the "corporate responsibility" sector and has a vested interest in maintaining the global warming scare.
  • Tim Yeo says Abbott is a flat earther but the Herald forgets to say Yeo recently said "natural causes" may be to blame for global warming.
Having left so much out of the article, one wonders how much else the Herald isn't telling us. Like the fact there has been no global warming for nearly two decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.