• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Too many "part-time" Wallabies supporters here for me.
You get up just before the match starts, whether it's 1-00 am, 4-00 am, or 8-00 am!
So many of you "experts" question the commitment of our players, yet you are too bloody lazy to get up and support them!

Maybe the reason Rugby is so "ordinary" in Australia at the moment , is not because of the "quality" of the players, but because of the "quality" of the supporters, many of whom appear to reside within this forum?!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am missing something here. I realise that our locks aren't setting the World on fire, but from what I've seen there is still a huge gap between him and the other 3.

To be honest, he looks a long way short of being test standard to me, and I can't see him getting to that level in the next year either. I must be missing his impact in general play - he has good hands no doubt, but he is cumbersome and is not overly troubling the defence that I can see. Other than that his shortcomings in the line out are obvious, but he is actually more useful there than in the scrum.

I don't mean to hate on the guy. I just don't see what some others here are seeing in him.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
You get up just before the match starts, whether it's 1-00 am, 4-00 am, or 8-00 am!
So many of you "experts" question the commitment of our players, yet you are too bloody lazy to get up and support them!

Maybe the reason Rugby is so "ordinary" in Australia at the moment , is not because of the "quality" of the players, but because of the "quality" of the supporters, many of whom appear to reside within this forum?!

Volunteering to get up with my children at 0530?! Very kind of you sir. I'll watch it when I can if it pleases you.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

I'm going to leave this one alone..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thank god, that's the best ref possible for us.

Nigel on the sideline is interesting, there's a hell of a lot of rugby on and you'd think one of the top refs would be the main ref. Wonder if he's been 'dropped'.

How is a referee who allows mayhem at the breakdown good for us?

Historically he's great in one sided games where he can miss things and make mistakes without consequence. In close ones he tends to go missing.

P

Paradox

Bold - Brumby Runner did. See how I used "BR" to indicate that in my post? It was a clue. Look out for the boomerang.

Passive aggressive much?

cyclopath said:
My post followed his - that Skelton won't get better (at the Wallabies) because Cheika will neglect the set piece, but the Wallabies set-up is different to the Tahs so it does not follow since Blades might improve him. It's not complex.

And after BRs comment Qwerty immediately wrote:

"You should be blaming Blades, not Cheika"

@Cyclopath liked this. This was rather influential on my outlook.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's not what you said, and you know it.
In case you've forgotten:-

Cyclopath, this will be my last word on this particular exchange. Otherwise I'm sure we will be in breach of one of the GAGR rules.

My comment was to the effect of his "apparent tendency to ignore the set piece..". It was made in the context of his coaching the Wallabies, not the Tahs about which I really couldn't give a stuff. Skelton has apparently been a poor scrummager the whole time he has been around the Wallabies but it seems to me that he has gone backwards in the more recent tests under Cheika/Blades. That is what concerns me and I do think the head coach needs to be accountable (as well as the scrum coach in this instance) if he selects a player who doesn't or can't perform the core role of the position he's been put in.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cyclopath, this will be my last word on this particular exchange. Otherwise I'm sure we will be in breach of one of the GAGR rules.

My comment was to the effect of his "apparent tendency to ignore the set piece..". It was made in the context of his coaching the Wallabies, not the Tahs about which I really couldn't give a stuff. Skelton has apparently been a poor scrummager the whole time he has been around the Wallabies but it seems to me that he has gone backwards in the more recent tests under Cheika/Blades. That is what concerns me and I do think the head coach needs to be accountable (as well as the scrum coach in this instance) if he selects a player who doesn't or can't perform the core role of the position he's been put in.

Our line-out hasn't been great either.

It seems like some of our players need some time to "grow" into their potential.

I think the same can be said about Cheika. Whilst he is our best choice as coach he does seem like he still has a lot to learn about Test rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The problem with many of the current playing group is not the quality of their play, but the quality of their character............

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
How is a referee who allows mayhem at the breakdown good for us?

Historically he's great in one sided games where he can miss things and make mistakes without consequence. In close ones he tends to go missing.
Sorry, but missed it. Whos reffing this game?

They haven't demoted our nige. He did last weekend

M

Moono75

2014-kyle-goodwin.jpg

So Kyle......what did you get out of this tour?

"Well it was lovely meeting all the fellas...they're a great bunch of guys. Of course I got this nice gold jersey.....but I'm not allowed to wear it though. I'm gonna use it to polish my car back home. It also dry's the dishes really really well"!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
And given Cheika's apparent tendency to ignore (or not concentrate on) the set piece at training, I can't see him improving his deficiencies any time soon.

TGC has never at any stage, to my knowledge, "ignored or not concentrated on" the set piece - yes, paraphrasing you a little.

when the Tahs got touched up in the set pieces in a couple of games towards the end of the Soup, TGC admitted that he had made a mistake in placing greater emphasis in the (then) recent weeks on play other than the set piece. he said he had placed greater emphasis on the highest priorities in (then) recent weeks. he went on to say that he would put a lot of effort into the set piece in training for the finals. he apparently so did, because the set piece went pretty well against the Southern NSW and Randwick Brumbies in the semi, didn't it?

it is a very long way from TGC's comments around that time to a conclusion that he ignores the set piece. isn't it, now?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ex-NZ player glen Jackson.

i am missing something here and would appreciate an explanation.
is Glen Jackson"
- an ex New Zealander?
- an ex-New Zealander who plays rugby?
- an ex-player in NZ? (he did play a lot elsewhere)
- an ex player for the NZ national team?
- something else?

my view is that Glen Jackson is yet another piece of irrefutable proof that the argument for top players to be referees ("because they know the game" :rolleyes:) is utter crap.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Was I the only one who read Brumbierunner's comment re: Cheika, Skelton and the set piece as a commentary on Skelton's selection as a result of Cheika not placing heavy emphasis on the set piece, and not a jab at Cheika as a set piece coach (which he's not)?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wallabies will win this handily (by 10-15 points or so) unless dark fates intervene.

I sincerely hope you are right Biffo. A win will put us back on track and quieten the naysayers.
This is our strongest starting side of the tour so far with a halfway potent bench.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Skelton was poor against France both in the set piece and general play. It's like saying Alexander was also good when he came on. Both were terrible, dropping the ball, etc. Skelton stuffed a try when Australia had numbers. He ran right in front of Foley when we had the numbers out wide (courtesy of Scott Allen's analysis from the roar)

Wallabies-v-France-15.jpg
But did he?
I'm not disputing they had numbers,but which numbers were they?
One would assume that if Foley had 3 backs outside him,they would usually score.
But it looks to me that Foley had a prop,a winger and one other outside him.
That's not a certain try.

Status
Not open for further replies.