• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Was I the only one who read Brumbierunner's comment re: Cheika, Skelton and the set piece as a commentary on Skelton's selection as a result of Cheika not placing heavy emphasis on the set piece, and not a jab at Cheika as a set piece coach (which he's not)?
I didn't until I read your post.

Good point though. If you've got Skelton and the two Bens on your bench then you're not exactly hoping for a series of pushover tries to win the game.

Won't matter in this game, the Irish scrum is much worse than ours

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyclopath, this will be my last word on this particular exchange. Otherwise I'm sure we will be in breach of one of the GAGR rules.

My comment was to the effect of his "apparent tendency to ignore the set piece..". It was made in the context of his coaching the Wallabies, not the Tahs about which I really couldn't give a stuff. Skelton has apparently been a poor scrummager the whole time he has been around the Wallabies but it seems to me that he has gone backwards in the more recent tests under Cheika/Blades. That is what concerns me and I do think the head coach needs to be accountable (as well as the scrum coach in this instance) if he selects a player who doesn't or can't perform the core role of the position he's been put in.
Right, his tendency in the long history of 2 Tests. OK. Fairly small sample from which to infer a pattern.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Cyclopath, this will be my last word on this particular exchange. Otherwise I'm sure we will be in breach of one of the GAGR rules.

My comment was to the effect of his "apparent tendency to ignore the set piece..". It was made in the context of his coaching the Wallabies, not the Tahs about which I really couldn't give a stuff. Skelton has apparently been a poor scrummager the whole time he has been around the Wallabies but it seems to me that he has gone backwards in the more recent tests under Cheika/Blades. That is what concerns me and I do think the head coach needs to be accountable (as well as the scrum coach in this instance) if he selects a player who doesn't or can't perform the core role of the position he's been put in.
Good to see some passion in the locker room. Not long to go now. Fire up boys, that's the way...

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
This was always going to be a development tour. From the moment Ewan resigned.
I'd say we have slightly out performed given the soap opera we've been through.
On that issue I'm a bit dubious about KB (Kurtley Beale) in the 23.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Things are just so much of a mess in the wallabies. Getting away with wins for the rest of the tour will be a great outcome. There is just no way that it is possible for Chieka to work on the bigger picture things. I will be happy to see the back of this wallaby season and without doubt more clarity will come in 2015 when the players have the super rugby season under their belts and players and performances can then be judged with more clarity. We will learn more from that.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Too many "part-time" Wallabies supporters here for me.
You get up just before the match starts, whether it's 1-00 am, 4-00 am, or 8-00 am!
So many of you "experts" question the commitment of our players, yet you are too bloody lazy to get up and support them!

Maybe the reason Rugby is so "ordinary" in Australia at the moment , is not because of the "quality" of the players, but because of the "quality" of the supporters, many of whom appear to reside within this forum?!

Ok ... seriously?

I am a mother of a small child (think nappies, cot and bottle). She sleeps for about 4 or 5 hours at a time, especially when she is teething as she is now. I have not had a full nights sleep in 18 months. I sleep when I can during the night, as I said usually in 4 or 5 hour chunks.

So no. I will not get up at 3 am to watch a rugby game, no matter who is playing. If I am having trouble settling her back to sleep I will watch it while I am up with her, but the moment she goes back to sleep, so do I.

Sorry if that doesn't make me a big enough rugby fan for you.

I love rugby, but my health and my daughter are my priorities. Sorry for being such a poor quality supporter.

Before you generalise about the commitment and quality of fans how about thinking that some of us have things going on in our lives which put the Wallabies on a lower priority than those like yourself who are able to give up a few hours sleep and can probably just sleep in in the morning to make up for it.

No I didn't get much sleep last night. Yes I am cranky and no I'm not sorry.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Chek picks the team. Obviously Blades has imput but the decision is Cheks.

Coaches coach. Players get to this level because of past performances. Those can always be improved by high level coaches and other players around them.

If a player does not learn to improve his skills (that are shown to him) when good coaches (and one must assume that the wallaby Coaches are as good as we have in Australia ATM) are in place,then fuck him off and try a lad who is willing to learn.

Skelton must be Thick. Its not that hard, is it????

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ok . seriously?

I am a mother of a small child (think nappies, cot and bottle). She sleeps for about 4 or 5 hours at a time, especially when she is teething as she is now. I have not had a full nights sleep in 18 months. I sleep when I can during the night, as I said usually in 4 or 5 hour chunks.

So no. I will not get up at 3 am to watch a rugby game, no matter who is playing. If I am having trouble settling her back to sleep I will watch it while I am up with her, but the moment she goes back to sleep, so do I.

Sorry if that doesn't make me a big enough rugby fan for you.

I love rugby, but my health and my daughter are my priorities. Sorry for being such a poor quality supporter.

Before you generalise about the commitment and quality of fans how about thinking that some of us have things going on in our lives which put the Wallabies on a lower priority than those like yourself who are able to give up a few hours sleep and can probably just sleep in in the morning to make up for it.

No I didn't get much sleep last night. Yes I am cranky and no I'm not sorry.
Sammy - I completely agree with you in those circumstances and I'm sure Mr Doug would as well.

Mr Doug's comments were, I am sure ,meant as a generalisation and not towards young mothers with baby daughter Wallaby supporters.

Hope you have a great rest today.

Go the Wallabies !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Sammy - I completely agree with you in those circumstances and I'm sure Mr Doug would as well.

Mr Doug's comments were, I am sure ,meant as a generalisation and not towards young mothers with baby daughter Wallaby supporters.

Hope you have a great rest today.

Go the Wallabies !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. But as I said, I am tired and cranky, and he made a pretty sweeping generalisation that really irked me in this state.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I know. But as I said, I am tired and cranky, and he made a pretty sweeping generalisation that really irked me in this state.

have a snooze (when and if you can), aprreciate your young'un, go to sleep tonight dreaming of a Wallabies thrashing of Ireland, watch the replay tomorrow.

Have a great day !

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Ok . seriously?

Oh, so you think you can just have children during TEST SEASON? I'll be writing the ARU about you. Friggin part-timers...

If we don't show a lot more structure than last week Ireland are going to turn us inside out. They're not England, they can kick us to death but they are going to have a few goes at us too. I hope the boys are ready, this will be much harder than Wales.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Won't matter in this game, the Irish scrum is much worse than ours

Is it? Not sure where I'd look up the stats, but you can hear commentators talking about how Ireland had the least penalized scrum and line out in world rugby last year. Against their last common opponent, South Africa, the Wallabies won 3 scrums and lost 1; the Irish won 6 scrums and lost 2. They're missing Cian Healy and Sean O'Brien, but Jack McGrath has been scrummaging better than Healy this season, and Ruddock has shown he can hold his own against top competition.

The Wallabies pack is probably deeper at this point -- injuries have shallowed Ireland's tighthead stocks at the moment. But they're a bit deeper at hooker, and the only guy coming off the bench I'd be a little worried about is Rodney Ah-You. Sean Cronin off the bench is more dangerous in the loose than in the scrum, but Dave Kilcoyne has improved in both areas in his bid to push Healy out of the starting line-up.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Well, given that he gets used as a "first/second receiver" crash-ball runner, then I guess so. But it's a mess-up from one or both - if the wide-break is on, the playmaker ought to be howling it to all and sundry. It's a common thing with the Wallabies in recent years - we often see overlaps that go unused with somebody trucking it up mid-field. Maybe it's the general lack of confidence to have a crack, who knows. Change Oz in that picture above to the ABs, and they probably score wide 9 times out of 10. Frustrating.

Maybe having a finisher of the calibre of Speight (and, dare I say, JOC (James O'Connor)) would instil a bit more confidence to swing it wide?

But as you said, even then maybe not. Owens Franks could be on that wing and the ABs would still get it out there and score.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Match thread not a creche.

Sully - you are sooooooooooo insensitive:)

I was merely being generous and supportve to one of our many female supporters of the wallabies and contributors of Green and Gold. - as we all should be.

Anyway, Wallabies by 15 with a push over try under the posts.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sully - you are sooooooooooo insensitive:)

I was merely being generous and supportve to one of our many female supporters of the wallabies and contributors of Green and Gold. - as we all should be.

Anyway, Wallabies by 15 with a push over try under the posts.
It was directed at me, I hadn't had my coffee :)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Been watching a few of last year's EOYT games as a warm up for this year's games.

As a result, here are five guys who are starting that I think need some big games:

6. Jones - blindside is a bit of an issue for us with Fardy out. Fardy was huge on last year's EOYT, and then came into great form in the last few games of the RC. We need a big, strong blindside who is a real lineout option and can get over the ball, and Jones at least fulfills the first two thirds of that equation, plus I think he is a bit stronger at running the ball into traffic. Here's hoping his starting debut is better than his disappointing cameo off the bench vs France mid-year.

7. Hooper - was huge last year, and earlier in the RC. Been a bit off in the last few games, not really in terms of work effort, but more in terms of impact. Unlike the other four, his position isn't really in question, but a big game will remove a lot of criticism.

10. Foley - struggled in his play around the park for mine. Really needs to do more than just kick goals. Watching last year with Cooper calling the shots and putting in practically error free performances it's a stark contrast. More variety, more chances created, in fact, Cooper created more chances vs Ireland than Foley did vs Wales and France combined. Not to mention less errors and turnovers, Foley put in more errors vs France than Cooper did in all the games I have watched so far - vs Wales, Italy, and Ireland, and you can probably add the 2013 3rd Bledisloe in there for Cooper as well, maybe even the other two EOYT games as well. Only thing Foley has done better so far is kick his goals.

Foley is up against Sexton, a really class player and the best 10 in the NH. It will be a tough ask, but if Foley can put in one of his better games (like the 3rd Bledisloe or Gold Coast Argentina game), then it will lay down the foundation for a Wallabies victory. What I'd like to see from Foley is more variety in attack - inside balls, switches, and so on, and obviously less errors, particularly knock ons and receiving kicks - I think he fluffed nearly every kick reception last week.

I had thought Foley was a body length in front for the WC starting 10, but now I think it's a very close race. Still to see Foley put in an 80 minute effort that rivals Coopers 3rd Bledisloe, Ireland, Wales or Italy games - so the question is will Cooper get a chance to show if he can play like that again, and if Foley has a big game, then Foley can prevent Cooper having much of a chance to show what he has. If Foley struggles a little here, Cooper may get a shot vs England next week.

12. To'omua - gets his first chance this EOYT. Was great last year, but really hit and miss so far. I think he will improve our kicking in play and defence, but questions if he can get the attack going like Lilo can.

14. Speight - finally given a shot, but is still recovering from a hamstring injury for mine. Those are notoriously tricky to get over, as you think you have it licked then it tightens and is gone. Tomane has been pretty good and is a little unlucky to be dropped, so Speight will need a big one to show that he is the guy to start vs England.

If clean ball can find Speight in space, then I think he is a real shot of causing Ireland real headaches.

Others I could have mentioned, like Folau and the locks, but those five I think either need, or are due, a big one.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I dont think its fair that Horwill is criticized and people are calling for him to be dropped for being so weak in the contact when carter and skelton are just as bad. Horwill still put on some good shots on defence, and was good in the set-piece. Skelton offers a low-workrate, poor setpiece, and surprisingly for someone of his size, little impact, Carter has a high workrate but is as poor as Horwill in the contact and Adequate at set-Piece. I think all of our locks suck. But Simmons and horwill are the best we have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.